Bombers release Chris Matthews

trueBlue83

2 minutes ago, White Out said:

Matthews wasn't good. Dropping balls, looked slow. I know it's super en vogue to **** all over our offence but the fact is he was PART of why the offense wasn't good. Glad to see him gone, get Darvin back in the lineup and focus on what we have in house.

This Matthews thing was probably like an infected tooth- it hurts to have it pulled but once it is done, you can start healing and get on with life.

Edited by Tracker

5 minutes ago, White Out said:

Matthews wasn't good. Dropping balls, looked slow. I know it's super en vogue to **** all over our offence but the fact is he was PART of why the offense wasn't good. Glad to see him gone, get Darvin back in the lineup and focus on what we have in house.

Agree, time for Walters to stop chasing yesterday's rainbows and go with the players he has in house, save every penny he can to re-up contracts at the end of the year.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Maybe we see a Dionte Spencer..or Jordan Williams Lambert signing here...Rider's are pretty sure he would bo right back there...but I have my doubts on that

JWL is an odd situation contract wise

Because he appealed - had signed just before the out clause was reinstated- ( I'm using incorrect terms, I know ) 

League and team released him from final year of contract for NFL opportunity,  but Riders retained his CFL rights

I don't fully understand it, but pretty sure that the gist is correct 

How is it possible to release a player and retain his rights? That makes absolutely zero sense.

Anyway, this news re: Matthews isn't surprising (SMS and vet cutdown). It is disappointing, though (this was a big deal at the time he signed). He's had a rough season and never really found a fit in the way this offense is set up. He also seemed disengaged at times on the field. I won't surmise whether or not attitude was an issue; that isn't my place. 

Next man up it would seem.

Really disappointed with Matthews. I remember him talking about wanting to be a leader and to be here for years to come in an interview. But actions speak louder then words. He looked slow on the field, and although I want fault him for some of the tough catches he didn’t come down with, you’d expect a guy you’re paying nearly 200 thousand dollars to, to come up with those catches, between the bar fight, and the injuries this doesn’t really surprise me. I think we’ll be just fine. 

We're bashing Matthews a bit now - but in those last two games with Nichols he was 3/4 and 2/3 I think...  then 1/4 with Streveler - who was not accurate at all

Still not understanding the Lawler love - guy was non-existent last two games, can't get open...  same pattern as so many Bomber receivers before him

Would have PR'd Lawler and moved Matthews to SB until we know Adams is legit healthy

6 minutes ago, Floyd said:

We're bashing Matthews a bit now - but in those last two games with Nichols he was 3/4 and 2/3 I think...  then 1/4 with Streveler - who was not accurate at all

Still not understanding the Lawler love - guy was non-existent last two games, can't get open...  same pattern as so many Bomber receivers before him

Would have PR'd Lawler and moved Matthews to SB until we know Adams is legit healthy

Adams is practicing

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

after that run by Big Chris to the Edmonton 3 yard line Matthews came running over and offered Strevs a high five and a hand up, and Big Chris just shrugged him off and kind of ghosted him.  I thought "That was odd" at the time and re-watched it several times.  Big Chris is usually the first to give a team-mate a high five/congrats, so it was out of character for him to shun Matthews like that, especially after a big run.  Something wasn't right.

I noticed this too and thought it was odd.