Andrew Harris suspended for 2 games

blue85gold

This whole thing has been going on for over a month now....I believe what Andrew has been saying, simply because the tests were so close together. I know nothing about the science involved, but I thank those who have posted. It just seems to me that he has a clean test, and then, if he thinks he's in the clear and away we go, he wouldn't have "trace amounts", he'd have the full-on high score. 

So I believe what he's telling us, and I hope he has had the supplement tested as well. 

I think this has ended his MOP chances for sure. 

https://journals.humankinetics.com/view/journals/ijsnem/28/1/article-p10.xml

https://www.nutraingredients-asia.com/Article/2017/09/27/Undeclared-anabolic-steroids-discovered-in-sports-supplements-sold-in-NZ-and-Australia

Interesting info regarding the notion of additives added that are anabolic..and this is just 2 of many...Just for those who "think" athletes using the anser that they were not aware it had banned substances in it...it is real

Also from buying/importing supplements...and going to the Supplement Expo's in southern Cal...I know this happens, and actually when inquired why a products formula changed, or wasn't as effective as when it first came out...the developers explicitly said that a) the changed as they have hooked the market and removed the "ingredients" that gave it the extra umph..or b) FDA pulled their product and made them remove certain "ingredients"

anyway...enough on this...it's happened...hopefully behind the scenes people are looking into the supplement to substantiate the Harris claim...which I believe..and we move on...It won't tarnish his reputation or legacy, and I bet now that he is under required testing moving forward..I bet he comes back even better and even more of a mission...win win for us...And hopefully the crowd at Banjo Bowl show him their support 

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

anyway...enough on this...it's happened...hopefully behind the scenes people are looking into the supplement to substantiate the Harris claim...which I believe..and we move on...It won't tarnish his reputation or legacy, and I bet now that he is under required testing moving forward..I bet he comes back even better and even more of a mission...win win for us...And hopefully the crowd at Banjo Bowl show him their support 

Thanks for all of your insights and expertise on this Booch. I too believe it was a case of trace substances in a supplement, versus intentional "juicing". That said, even O'Shea mentioned that the players have a listing of approved substances. My question is did Harris take something not on that approved listing? If so, why? If it was approved, is it a "tainted" container? If so, there has to be some manufacturer liability, right? I know first hand that even in USports football the players are given a listing of approved substances and are quite diligent about the players not using anything other than what is on that list. They even stressed that to the parents before your son shows up on campus. 

11 minutes ago, Booch said:

https://journals.humankinetics.com/view/journals/ijsnem/28/1/article-p10.xml

https://www.nutraingredients-asia.com/Article/2017/09/27/Undeclared-anabolic-steroids-discovered-in-sports-supplements-sold-in-NZ-and-Australia

Interesting info regarding the notion of additives added that are anabolic..and this is just 2 of many...Just for those who "think" athletes using the anser that they were not aware it had banned substances in it...it is real

Also from buying/importing supplements...and going to the Supplement Expo's in southern Cal...I know this happens, and actually when inquired why a products formula changed, or wasn't as effective as when it first came out...the developers explicitly said that a) the changed as they have hooked the market and removed the "ingredients" that gave it the extra umph..or b) FDA pulled their product and made them remove certain "ingredients"

Booch, my question is this:  If tainted supplements are a well known and documented problem, why in the world would any top level athlete ever risk using off the shelf products?  To me it's playing with fire.  Sure the chance may be small, but the damage caused by a positive test can be, as we've just seen, catastrophic for his/her reputation.  I would think that if supplements are needed, that the team's staff be the supplier and players instructed that they are not to take anything without clearance, period.  This way, if there's a positive test, it should be comparatively easier to trace.     

Edited by WBBFanWest

Yeah you get a listing of "approved" substances with the NSF designation..which actually costs the supp company to get, but also there are lots of known ones that are legit without that designation..and new products pop up almost every other day it seems...it's a huge market.

Harris yeah prob made an unwise choice choosing something not on the list, that being said for the most part if you are in the sports scene and have a bit of know, you know which companies generally are legit, what type of supplement you should be wary of based on claims it says it will get you, and generally things from a health food store...not focusing so much on sports performance and weight training you would thin would be legit...as most of those stores carry reputable brands...usually

Unfortunate turn of events for sure...but it's not like Harris was doing this to get an edge on anything...and if juicing...that would not have been the drug of choice for in season football player...

9 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Booch, my question is this:  If tainted supplements are a well known and documented problem, why in the world would any top level athlete ever risk using off the shelf products?  To me it's playing with fire.  Sure the chance may be small, but the damage caused by a positive test can be, as we've just seen, catastrophic for his/her reputation.  I would think that if supplements are needed, that the team's staff be the supplier and players instructed that they are not to take anything without clearance, period.  This way, if there's a positive test, it should be comparatively easier to trace.     

guess good lesson learned...but from my experience...most guys use products not on the list, and know they are clean as nobody has ever been popped on them...but the market is cut throat and there is no guarantee that an "approved" supplement company doesn't decide to tweek their product with no mention, or put it on the ingredients list (as they don't have to) to get a bigger piece of the market..you have to remember this is a billion dollar industry and lots of money to be made...

22 hours ago, max power said:

I'm pretty surprised at all the CFL players and media guys from other cities taking shots at Harris.  Surprised mostly at the players... you don't see a lot of that in other sports.

Can you imagine Crosby tweeting out shots at Kuznetsov, laughing at him?  To me, things like that make the CFL look more minor league than anything.  I mean, Jordan Reaves, really.... Just when the Rider fans have something to lord over the Bombers, he basically stands up and shouts to the world "DON'T FORGET ABOUT ME, I GOT CAUGHT SELLING COKE!".

It's because we're the bombers and they hate us cause they ain't us.

Being tested as frequently as Harris was, why just him???It's a WONDER that no other player has tested for a skeptical product....Seems to me Andrew was being keyed on for some reason and that's odd...I think this story has lots of legs...Anyway I hope Harris comes back stronger than ever and proves that he doesn't need the boost this tainted crap was supposed to deliver...Lord knows he'll be tested into the ground for the remainder of the season

Edited by Stickem

1 hour ago, Doublezero said:

As Doug Brown said: Why not just test the supplement?  I think Andrew said he wants to do that. Look forward to the result of that.

Unfortunately, just wouldn't be a good test. Too many variables. Unless he has an unopened container that he bought at the same time....and some kind of proof that he purchased it at the same time as the one that he claims is contaminated. 

While unlikely, he could potentially add stuff to the supplement now that would back up his story. I'm not saying he would, but in a court of law (which is likely where it would end up if he accuses a business) it just wouldn't hold any weight.

They can't even guarantee honey sold for mass consumption is 100% pure, little wonder the manufacturers of supplements can sell contaminated products with no regulation, inspection or fear of repercussions.   Trusting industry to regulate itself just doesn't work.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/cfia-study-finds-imported-genuine-honey-often-mixed-with-added-sugar-1.4501522