looking ahead-LDC

Nolby

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Recent history says we don’t need to throw for 200 yards.

As long as the D-line can pressure Fajardo into making  dumb throws the numbers the O puts up won't matter very much, scoring points should flow from multiple sources.  It would go along way to forgiving them for the poor Argo game if they can body-slam Fajardo and the Riders back to reality.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

I would even suggest that if our *receivers* could help Streveler out by catching the ball, then his game automatically balances out.

The Bombers just faced an amped up Eskimos team in a very hostile environment, in the rain.  When the next best defence in the league know what’s coming, and STILL can’t stop the Bomber’s run game, then I’m not too worried about the risk of being one dimensional.

On the other side of the ball, as others have suggested, the Sask offence is about to get punched in the mouth by a real defence...

Edited by BigBlueFanatic

Ah Labour Day! living in SK is bad enough for a Bomber fan like me the rest of the year, but this weekend ( and next) it gets amped up to a whole new level.

The media around here (Regina, Saskatoon) have been relentless in minimizing the Bombers accomplishments and telling us how great the Riders are (5 game win streak). I've heard numerous times that Streveler is no threat and that the Riders will sweep the series.

Please Bombers, please, please win. I don't care if it's 3-2. Just win.

Just now, Stickem said:

We just beat the Esks. with Streveler...I think Edm. is a better team with a better qb....No reason why we can't knock them off in their own barn

Yes even though Streveler is not a top rated passer, I think the Riders might underestimate his running. The Esks knew he was going to run and they still couldn't stop him.

Considering the Esks have statistically the better defence...obviously the better dline...the better QB..their top 2 receivers are much better than the Riders..do they even have a top 2..who else is there besides Evan's who's a threat...I think the better RB between Powell and Gable is Gable...obviously statistics show the EDM oline is better...and we swept them...so how anything other than a split at worst is the likely outcome.

I dont think the rider offense has what it takes to score a lot on us until they actually show they can..anything can happen but I dont see it..hope I am not wrong haha

28 minutes ago, Booch said:

Considering the Esks have statistically the better defence...obviously the better dline...the better QB..their top 2 receivers are much better than the Riders..do they even have a top 2..who else is there besides Evan's who's a threat...I think the better RB between Powell and Gable is Gable...obviously statistics show the EDM oline is better...and we swept them...so how anything other than a split at worst is the likely outcome.

I dont think the rider offense has what it takes to score a lot on us until they actually show they can..anything can happen but I dont see it..hope I am not wrong haha

Are you forgetting Naaman Roosevelt?

7 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Are you forgetting Naaman Roosevelt?

He looks like he has regressed a fair bit the last yr and a bit...by no means an explosive big play guy any more..smart route runner possession guy now..

If I'm scheming for Fajardo I'm letting him have all day in the pocket (not blitzing LB's) and forcing him to  be accurate downfield, dropping 8-9 in coverage most of the time.  We can get pressure with 3-4.  Sask is really relying on quick shots out to the flats to guys like Shaq Evans and Kyran Moore.

21 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

If I'm scheming for Fajardo I'm letting him have all day in the pocket (not blitzing LB's) and forcing him to  be accurate downfield, dropping 8-9 in coverage most of the time.  We can get pressure with 3-4.  Sask is really relying on quick shots out to the flats to guys like Shaq Evans and Kyran Moore.

Shut down their run game, throw in the odd half back blitz, and you have yourself a deal. 

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

We are undefeated at new mosaic. 

1 minute ago, MrFreakzilla said:

In which reality?

No kidding, we lost last year's LDC- but, we have the first ever regular season win and first ever play off win at new mosaic toilet bowl. We are now answers to CFL trivia:

Q: Which team won the first regular season game at new Mosaic TB, home field of the sask roughriders?"

A: "The Winnipeg Blue Bombers."

Q: Which team won the first Playoff game at new Mosaic TB, home field of the sask roughriders?"

A: "The Winnipeg Blue Bombers."

58 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I sort of disagree with your assessment of Fajardo - from what I have seen he is a very accurate passer and if you give him all day I believe he will come out ahead. I suggest we get pressure on him. Also given Richie Hall's bend but not break if we give Fajardo all that much time he will move the ball down the field and keep our defense on the field far too long. He does through a pretty good ball and has good accuracy from what I have seen.

We have to put this game in perspective, its the Riders Super Bowl and its always a tough win even with their crappiest teams vs our best in the past. I expect a tough game against a Sask team that seems to a found a decent although i agree not proven Qb. Does it mean anything? Bragging rights for a week.

Many people, myself included, find special teams weird. Saskatchewan has both benefited from, and been the victim of, special teams play this year:

The good:
- Lead the league with best kickoff return average (31.5 yards per return, MTL is worst with 18.1, OTT is 5th with 24.2)
- Lead the league for fewest yards allowed per kickoff return (17.6 yards per return, TOR is worst 27.6, WPG is 5th 23.3)
- Lead the league in punting average (49.0 yards per punt, TOR is worst 41.5 yards per punt, MTL is 5th 44.5 yards/punt)

The bad: SSK is dead last in several special teams categories (per CFL.ca, up to week 10):
- They are ranked 8th in punt return average per return (9.0 yards per return, WPG is best at 13.0, OTT is 5th at 12.4 per return)
- Tied with BC and CGY for most kick return TDs given up (4)
- They give up a league-worst 18.3 yards on average per opponents kick return (WPG is best 8.3 yards/return, TOR is 5th at 10.8 yards/return)
- They have the worst kickoff average (57.6, MTL is best with 69.4, TOR is 5th 63.3 yards/kickoff)

Surprisingly, SSK is actually second-fewest in special teams penalties (16) behind only WPG (14)

Personally, I think just like this past weekend, there will be one or two crucial plays or lapses in judgement (resulting in penalties) that dictate the outcome of the game. Should be a good one.

You guys are over thinking this.  Here's what we do:

1 - buy 10 cheap tickets to the Riders game

2 - buy 10 Riders jerseys

3 - buy 10 ewes

4 - put Riders jersey on ewes

5 - put ewes in the stands

The result will be that the Riders and their fans will be completely distracted by the babe-fest.  Game, set, match.

Oh yea, one more thing:

After the win:

1 - burn Riders jerseys

2 - apologize to the ewes 

Riders are a pretty good team, they have some weapons and some weak spots. I think the Bombers have what it takes to get the W, but I’m logically assuming a split just like I do every year.

I feel like we have the advantage at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, which is huge for us in a battle of backup quarterbacks.

The key will be whether or not the environment gets to Streveler.

either way, I’ll be there to find out again this year. Favorite weekend of the year for me.