GDT - Bombers vs Esks

JCon

18 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That's my worry as well. If defenses nullify his running ability & force him to throw the ball if he doesn't improve we're hooped.

Nullify him..Harris romps free. Nullify Harris..big holes for Streveler..or others..that's the thing with a very strong QB runner..you have to pick your poison and even then..winning against it is a tall order.

Also Strev doesnt run like a typical QB.. and that is a huge factor too..and really his threat of getting hurt is no more than Harris or any other RB unless teams take cheap shots when he down or in a pile.

He runs and inflicts the hits..punishes and runs with a purpose..QB'S generally run to get away..escape..and are looking to get down..or not looking to make the initiating contact..thus why many get hurt..this is key

15 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

This is a little off topic and I'd appreciate a response from somebody like Booch but is Streveler not the kind of guy who'd have been an amazing option QB? I'm not advocating using this offense or saying he can't improve as a passer but this thought just crossed my mind.

Option offenses don't really work in the pros like the CFL or NFL. Defensive players are quicker & much more disciplined than their college counterparts. So, it's harder to grind it out on the ground over an entire game running while giving up the pass. Also, late in games if a comeback is needed it isn't a quick strike offense like we saw with that 75 yard bomb Harris threw late in the game against us. If anything, the option will take time off the clock when offensive teams need every second. The other thing, it's a physical offense. Not just for the defense that has to face it but for the offense as well. I doubt a team could run a true option offense for an entire season against CFL defenses. There might not be many players left standing.

44 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Option offenses don't really work in the pros like the CFL or NFL. Defensive players are quicker & much more disciplined than their college counterparts. So, it's harder to grind it out on the ground over an entire game running while giving up the pass. Also, late in games if a comeback is needed it isn't a quick strike offense like we saw with that 75 yard bomb Harris threw late in the game against us. If anything, the option will take time off the clock when offensive teams need every second. The other thing, it's a physical offense. Not just for the defense that has to face it but for the offense as well. I doubt a team could run a true option offense for an entire season against CFL defenses. There might not be many players left standing.

I totally get that and as I said before I wasn't advocating for one. Just thinking of college football and the ole option offense and it struck me that Streveler would have fit that one to a T.

Strev would be perfect for an option QB but like others say...more an amateur scheme for various reasons..mainly lack of skill/talent at key positions.

An especially good scheme to hide oline issues or lack of big talented mailers...much like u seen a lot back in day with the veer 

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That's my worry as well. If defenses nullify his running ability & force him to throw the ball if he doesn't improve we're hooped.

If we focus on the zone read option more we won't need much more then screen and short dumps. 

When we used it last night it tore edm to pieces. 

2 hours ago, Booch said:

Strev would be perfect for an option QB but like others say...more an amateur scheme for various reasons..mainly lack of skill/talent at key positions.

An especially good scheme to hide oline issues or lack of big talented mailers...much like u seen a lot back in day with the veer 

The Veer you say...hmmm...

Image result for we are marshall matthew mcconaughey the beer gif

3 hours ago, Tracker said:

Would it be acceptable to say that Hansen ought to be good at blitzing?

Would you believe his nick name is Fritz? He hits, he’ll blitz, he gives the offense fits. The Bomber from Bergenhusen now wearing ze golden hosen. 

Edited by Rod Black

52 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

Would you believe his nick name is Fritz? He hits, he’ll blitz, he gives the offense fits. The Bomber from Bergenhusen now wearing ze golden hosen. 

Don't make me run, I'm full of chocolate!

Edited by Super Duper Negatron

8 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Just caught the game. Yeah we won and yah Streve runs good but...

7/17  41.2%  89yards

Lowest totals since Reinebold era?

In the pouring rain. With at least  4 drops. Two counting for 30+ yards total. Better conditions I'm thinking he has Matt Nichols like numbers. Plus his running.  

I will say, he took a shot deep that was WAY off target. He barely looked at the rec, and just fired it. Poor choice imo. Also that deep ball to Demski in the 4th that was almost intercepted....pressure in his face and he couldnt step into it. Right read, but hes gotta make better choices there. Worked out this time though....

One big thing to keep in mind with Streveler is his age. He's still only 24. Aside from BLM, not many CFL QBs get meaningful snaps at that age. Most seem to take a year or two to develop before starting, after going through the NFL practice roster circus. If he develops with experience, we're in good shape. 

58 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

In the pouring rain. With at least  4 drops. Two counting for 30+ yards total. Better conditions I'm thinking he has Matt Nichols like numbers. Plus his running.  

I will say, he took a shot deep that was WAY off target. He barely looked at the rec, and just fired it. Poor choice imo. Also that deep ball to Demski in the 4th that was almost intercepted....pressure in his face and he couldnt step into it. Right read, but hes gotta make better choices there. Worked out this time though....

Actually Lawler was supposed to go to the endzone marker I think..he adjusted his route and cut in which for that play makes no sense