GDT - Bombers vs Esks

JCon

6 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Streveler throws from 3/4 which isn't an issue.  Rich Gannon was a Pro Bowl/MVP NFL QB with the same release.  There's no windup, the ball gets out quick.  The deep ball is an issue as from 3/4 a QB needs more torque to get it out, so needs a cleaner pocket to go deep.

I really appreciate the breakdown on this...it's so weird to look at his motion, and almost seems like he's throwing darts. Pull straight back, push straight forward, release....so odd. But I'm not gonna sit here and say the guy can't be successful with it....

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

The hilarious part was the esks strutting around pretending to be big tough badasses and the bombers ers just not even caring. Love the attitude this Winnipeg team has. Tough without having to pretend to be tough. Just go out and hit the other team in the mouth and no show beating about it.

Yeah.  Fake tough works vs Ottawa, BC and Toronto.  That'll get you 7-8 wins and 4th place.  Guess the benefit for Edmonton is they'll get to go through the East.

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

This is not meant as a criticism of Streveler but can anybody remember the last time a team passed for under 90 yards in a game and won?

Nov. 3, 2017,  Dan LeFevour threw for 13/17 for 91 yds. in beating Calgary 23-5.  Please don't use this as an opportunity to insult Dan's performance.

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

I really appreciate the breakdown on this...it's so weird to look at his motion, and almost seems like he's throwing darts. Pull straight back, push straight forward, release....so odd. But I'm not gonna sit here and say the guy can't be successful with it....

There's a couple things to worry about. 

He holds the ball low, always.  Haven't seen a ton of fumbles but scares me in the pocket, and a little when he gets running, the ball is at his waist.  They don't need him to do a ton of straight drops into a regular pocket though, especially if they get more consistent in running Zone Read/RPO stuff testing the edge/contain of the D.

Also when he scrambles he tucks the ball pretty immediately so there's not much chance he's going to get back into a position to make a throw.  Good he's decisive but we're probably missing some plays downfield on those scrambles.  To me this is the thing he/they need to figure out if he's going to be a legit starting level QB.

17 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I don't know why they run the same idiots on the field week after week to take the same crippling penalties. Felt like some of their vets were getting pretty pissed off at their own team in that 4th Q, Sewell visibly on the sideline after the one fracas.

After Hunter took that extremely selfish and ridiculous penalty for shoving the ref, Don Unamba was both livid and deflated at the same time. 

I know we're riding the high of the big W last night, but I honestly think the coaching staff over the next several weeks is going to try and get McGuire some playing time too to really give a good evaluation.  Not a knock on Streveler, but what a great opportunity to showcase and get an idea of how you want to look behind centre next season!  If this is a good looking 1-2 punch, there's no way they're bringing back Nichols at his salary!

3 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

I know we're riding the high of the big W last night, but I honestly think the coaching staff over the next several weeks is going to try and get McGuire some playing time too to really give a good evaluation.  Not a knock on Streveler, but what a great opportunity to showcase and get an idea of how you want to look behind centre next season!  If this is a good looking 1-2 punch, there's no way they're bringing back Nichols at his salary!

No. They're going to try and win every week....period. This and only this.

Streveler really had me worried for the first couple of quarters- he had happy feet and looked almost panicked. He did have that nice pass to Matthews and it was great to see Matthews fighting for those extra yards. The turning point for Streveler appeared to be in the fourth quarter when the Bombers looked to be in control and then Streveler appeared to relax and just play the game instead of feeling the weight of the world on his shoulders. His feet stopped dancing and his body language said that he was OK. The heartening thing was that the Esks had to know that the Bombers would rely on the Streveler-Harris one-two running punch but were unable to stop them despite having a very good D-line. The Edmonton linebackers were as suspect as I thought they would be. I didn't keep track but it looked like a big part of the game plan for the Bombers was to have Eli in there pushing people around. For me, this game showed that LaPolice is at the very least, a good OC. His plan used Streveler's strengths, and it sure looked like his past plans have had to compensate to Nichols' limitations as a quarterback. Jefferson dominated the line of scrimmage like few d-linemen  have ever done and the Esks O-linemen are going to be waking up in  the middle of nights for awhile screaming his name.

36 minutes ago, Noeller said:

No. They're going to try and win every week....period. This and only this.

This be true - the back to back in Regina will be what it is all about. Going to be a slobber knocker  slug fest for sure! Can't wait. I live in Calgary but have tickets (from my client) for the Regina game. Room's booked and ready to go!

It wasn’t a masterpiece from either Streveler or Lapo but without three pretty inexcusable drops, the passing numbers would look much better. Plus it was a game against likely the best defence in the league and he held his own. He’s still extremely young and will never be a completely conventional QB but there is a ton to work with here. It really never felt like the game was in doubt and Streveler actually moved the ball in the fourth quarter when we needed first downs which was a refreshing change. 

I think ultimately what it comes down to for me is that there will be times where Streveler struggles to make plays with his arm this season but even in those situations, he can still move the ball very effectively with his legs. Nichols also frequently struggles with both his throws and his confidence and when he’s in those ruts, we know nothing good is going to come of it. 

I’d still like to see a few more games of it with some more conventional passing mixed in but it’s hard to imagine we’re in a worse position with Streveler, even with his faults, than we are with Nichols. 

I was a little apprehensive when I saw the rain coming down and that first set of downs when Streve lost the handle....I thought ...uh oh...this could be a long night for the kid BUT he pulled it together and did his thing....The esks. had to respect his running ability and along with Andrew he had them off balance for most of the night....Harris had some pretty nice holes to cut through as well...credit the o line guys..On one play Streveler had everyone fooled on a keeper ...Even the camera guy was following Andrew while Chris was taking it up the field on a nice fake...I think the kid will grow as he gets more game experience and all of the angst a few fans were immersed in will  all but disappear...Excellent game by the team overall...On to Labour Day and a meeting with the toothless melon heads😁

54 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

Unconventional and Strev didn't look comfortable at all, but they don't ask how.

Also this is exactly the type of O to run come playoff time 

The entire offense seemed to struggle with the wet ball early. 

But we clearly saw a training wheels playbook too. No jet sweep, minimal demski stuff etc. 

Jbr has made some excellent points about his 3/4 arm slot and the way he Tuck's the ball as soon as he moves the pocket and doesn't keep the ball in a live position to throw when behind the line. Stuff he can learn and over come with technique and practise. 

He doesn't need to switch to an over head release point but he has to adjust his ball placement and targeting more. 

Strev has the prototypical short arm delivery..many have had it and once he gets comfortable and settles in..he will be fine..I have noticed already in practice and a lot in his limited repair he has worked on his platform.. and pocket set up..from last year.

That was his one major knock coming out of college.. and that's totally coachable .and was/is due to his instinct to take off too soon..his coach in college even commented once they got that settled he was lights out..so it will occur here too.

Let's give him another game or two..more practice with ones and a game with no wet field before we say he can..or cannot be a passer...

1 hour ago, Dr Zaius said:

Unconventional and Strev didn't look comfortable at all, but they don't ask how.

Also this is exactly the type of O to run come playoff time 

Beating the Riders back to back is a tall order but it will goes a long way to secure a home field advantage in WSF.

-Winnipeg, the first team to score 30 points against the Esks this season

-Last night’s @Wpg_BlueBombers win in Edmonton will hereby be referred to as “the Willie Jefferson game” #ForTheW - Andrew Paterson

-Ok , so Edmonton kicks another FG and leaves 7:02 left on the clock and trail by only 5 points. No time for a two and out. Then, our offence took over and Edmonton’s stupidity took hold. A run, a pass, another pass, then Streveler runs. 30 yard gain on two Edmonton penalties and a TD run by Streveler effectively ended it. No two and out.

-That and a brilliant 50 yard FG by the man, Medlock. (2-50 yarders this game)

-Everybody did their job.

-Harris has 908 yards...unreal..

-Fenner made a couple of nice plays.

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

now that there's a game's worth of tape on our new look offense, I'm curious what Sask tries next week to take it away. Can they force us to stay in the pocket and play a passing-only game? Will Streveler be able to do it? I just really don't like CS mechanics as a passer...that throwing motion seems all kinds of wrong. Not sure if he can be coached into being a better passer, but I'm sure we'll find out soon enough. Not sure how long this current game plan is sustainable...

That's my worry as well. If defenses nullify his running ability & force him to throw the ball if he doesn't improve we're hooped.

22 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That's my worry as well. If defenses nullify his running ability & force him to throw the ball if he doesn't improve we're hooped.

If they spread out to defend Streveler, Harris has openings up the middle.  Then you have Hardrick, Bryant and Co. blowing things up on every running play.

If you're the opposing D, of course you will game plan to stop the run - but that doesn't mean it's going to work.