GDT - Bombers vs Esks

JCon

One thing that we have going with Streveler in as QB is the opposing defence has to watch out for both him and Harris. Man those dudes have legs. Off to the friggin races!

I am hoping we absolutely slaughter the riders next week so they can shut they gd cakeholes. 

All and all a good game..and actually a perfect set up for ongoing ones really.

Firstly hard to make a true assessment.. 3 drops..wet conditions.. and a tough defense to have first go around with..we wont have to deal with that now again until prob the CGY games.

Teams now are gonna really have to prep for the runs..and options..and its gonna be tough for them..especially when we start to add in jet sweeps and other runs..we ran basic draws..off tackles..and the read option.. pretty simple stuff..but I think its a set up for future games..not showing all our cards with Sreveler as starter so to speak...and this alone is gonna end up opening the passing game.

If we didnt go away from the ground and pound part way into the third quarter I think we may have actually ran away with it..but went back to it in 4th and pretty much controlled the game after that.

We win as a team..defence and ST and if offence doesnt cough it up..will win most..even though EDM had big offensive numbers they only got I think 4 more first downs...T.O.P was pretty much even..yet we orchestrated more offensive TD drives and pretty much held the lead the whole game after edm initial FG...I can live with that..and the beauty of it all..even if we drop next 2 games now..we will still be in first..but I can smell a Rider sweep..Fajardo is gonna be in for a tough task..one I dont think he can manage 

Any negatives I see from Streveler are from inexperience not inability. He looks a bit clumsy, almost panicky at times, when he's standing in the pocket going through his reads. It seems like he's thinking about them a bit too much. I'm not concerned. With enough playing time those reads will start to become more automatic.

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

All and all a good game..and actually a perfect set up for ongoing ones really.

Firstly hard to make a true assessment.. 3 drops..wet conditions.. and a tough defense to have first go around with..we wont have to deal with that now again until prob the CGY games.

Teams now are gonna really have to prep for the runs..and options..and its gonna be tough for them..especially when we start to add in jet sweeps and other runs..we ran basic draws..off tackles..and the read option.. pretty simple stuff..but I think its a set up for future games..not showing all our cards with Sreveler as starter so to speak...and this alone is gonna end up opening the passing game.

If we didnt go away from the ground and pound part way into the third quarter I think we may have actually ran away with it..but went back to it in 4th and pretty much controlled the game after that.

We win as a team..defence and ST and if offence doesnt cough it up..will win most..even though EDM had big offensive numbers they only got I think 4 more first downs...T.O.P was pretty much even..yet we orchestrated more offensive TD drives and pretty much held the lead the whole game after edm initial FG...I can live with that..and the beauty of it all..even if we drop next 2 games now..we will still be in first..but I can smell a Rider sweep..Fajardo is gonna be in for a tough task..one I dont think he can manage 

Riders are always tough at home on Labour Day Sunday. Their fans pump them up. We usually get the better of them in the Banjo Bowl. Our fans pump us up.

Streveler didn't look that bad tonight,   tough game playing against a strong defense and absolute terrible weather conditions.  

He didn't look like the 2nd coming but he definitely showed flashes.   The drops really hurt his stats and also the lack of plays of him throwing on the run was puzzling.  

I'd like to see him play against a team that offers less pressure and where rain won't be a factor.  

Also what was up with the refs tonight....  that botched call early in the game when it should of been roughing the kicker and the weak off side on our offense deep in the end was brutal.  

It was nice to see though Edmonton making a bone headed penalty late in the game.  

Also nice to see Streveler in the last 5 minutes able to move the ball instead of doing quick two and outs. Also nice to see the QB being able to take a hit or two without having to leave the game. 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Also nice to see Streveler in the last 5 minutes able to move the ball instead of doing quick two and outs.

passing game ice cold, dude calmly jogs out with a five-point lead and 6:31 to go. He throws for two quick first downs and our winning drive is rolling.

clutch.

Considering it was his first start in over a year, against a top tier defense in pretty lousy conditions, I'd say Streveler mostly held his own. He looked panicky at times and some of his passes seemed forced, but that was to be expected, IMO. Keep in mind a few drops were on his receivers, not him. Matthews and Wolitarsky both dropped easy ones.

His rushing ability and athleticism are his strengths right now - and he used them well last night. He just needs experience to get more comfortable in the pocket and make his reads more efficiently as a passer. It'll happen in time and when it does, he'll be a treat to watch.

I think we are being way too hard on Streveler.

I don't think it was a very good game but I think a lot of factors went into it: heavy rain, a few WR drops, and up against one of the best teams in the league with a DL that took advantage of the weak spots on our OL.

The completion percentage looks worse because of a few throwaways too, whereas Nichols is much more likely to take sacks.

I thought when Streveler took off from the pocket, the reads were either covered or the protection broke down (this happened a lot).  On several plays you could see his head swivel, progressing through his options.  Thought his deep ball was really poor tonight, but the mid-game was solid. 

7 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

If Jefferson picked it up and punted yes...since it was dribbled and Edmonton batted it out, Bombers never possessed it.  It’s a safety.  I’ve seen this play scenario before.

Hmm, perhaps you’re right. Strange that there is little mention of a dribbled ball in the rule book. 

For a safety to be scored, the rules state specifically that the ball has to be “carried, kicked, fumbled or otherwise directed from the Field of Play into the Goal Area by the team scored against”. That is not what happened on this play, hence the confusion.

Edited by Yourface

Moving forward to not use his strengths..as well as the teams (which is the run game) as your focus is foolish.

Even when a team expects..and knows we are going to..we still gouge them for 200 yards almost with big T.O.P...that's how we are built...and come Nov that's where your games are won.

The passing game..and him being more comfortable and less run dependent will come as the starts pile up...but as we continue on...if it ain't broke..why fiddle with it

6 minutes ago, Yourface said:

Hmm, perhaps you’re right. Strange that there is zero mention of a dribbled ball in the rule book. 

For a safety to be scored, the rules state specifically that the ball has to be “carried, kicked, fumbled or otherwise directed from the Field of Play into the Goal Area by the team scored against”. That is not what happened on this play. It was, by definition, a rouge according to article 4, point 2.

The complication to 4.2 and the safety/single rule is Edmonton is the only team that possesses the ball throughout the whole play and they knock the ball out of touch.  If that player let it roll out off the kick it’s a single.  Since he directs it and Edmonton was last to have possession (there’s no break in their possession from the snap since Bombers never control it) before it was dribbled along the turf it should be a safety.

I’ve seen almost this exact scenario in a majors game I was coaching about 8 years ago and the officials had the rule books out to get it right, obviously no replay.  Have seen a ton of live balls kicked/dribbled out of bounds but that’s a bit different, possession doesn’t matter in that case, only matters here because of the score in goal.

I was thinking safety right off the bat because we never had control of the ball and it was an Eskimo decision to knock it out of bounds. They last had possession but the officials ruled because it was kicked in, it was a rouge. Would it have mattered if it was closer to the end zone and the ball was bounced around and the Eskimo player then knocked the ball out?

It just doesn’t seem right that a marvellous strip fumble ends up with the Eskimos getting the ball back at their own 35 and it only cost them 1 point..

now that there's a game's worth of tape on our new look offense, I'm curious what Sask tries next week to take it away. Can they force us to stay in the pocket and play a passing-only game? Will Streveler be able to do it? I just really don't like CS mechanics as a passer...that throwing motion seems all kinds of wrong. Not sure if he can be coached into being a better passer, but I'm sure we'll find out soon enough. Not sure how long this current game plan is sustainable...

9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Not sure how long this current game plan is sustainable...

Maybe not but it’s pretty hard to stop a stallion after he gets going. Besides, I’d expect LaPo to add a few more wrinkles to the offence to include Whitehead and Demski etc. That should give pause to any defence that wants to commit early.

18 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Maybe not but it’s pretty hard to stop a stallion after he gets going. Besides, I’d expect LaPo to add a few more wrinkles to the offence to include Whitehead and Demski etc. That should give pause to any defence that wants to commit early.

Also, people have been saying for ages that they “just have to stop Harris” in order to stop us, which pretty much no one has been able to do. I don’t see why stopping two running threats would be easier. 

Yeah… I think LaPo called a good  game. Actually, I think LaPo generally calls a very good game and seems to understand what he’s working with very well.  The blue bombers offense – under his direction - is superior and more sophisticated than what we had before… Remember those days?  - No misdirection? No check down game? No deep threat? Utterly predictable… Before he came back? I’m going out on a limb here and saying he is a smart guy that takes a lot of caca on this board from for reasons that I find hard to understand. 

And, pleeeeeeeeze...I really like Buck, but can we finally put to bed any yammering for him to take over as the OC? I mean, once again, what evidence is there that Buck is an offensive mastermind? The bombers have a highly rated offense even with a starter (Nichols) with a limited skill set and ceiling (compared to some of the other starting quarterbacks) and have still managed to produce and are now eight and two.

So, let’s give LaPo a little well-deserved love, along with some of the other pieces in the successful season we’ve had thus far. 

Edited by deepsixemtoboyd