GDT - Bombers vs Esks

JCon

11 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Streveler can run but every pass he throws is an adventure.

I think that's unfair. He hit Matthews and Matthews let the db interupt the pass, he hit Demski in traffic and Demski put it on the ground, he hit wolitarsky and again it hit the ground. I think his passing numbers look worse than they should to be honest. There was even the swing pass to Harris on 2nd and 20 that I put the blame on Harris. He had to get that ball out quick and Harris wasn't ready for it. 

Streveler is not a bad passer, our team just has a bad passing game plan a lot of nights. He also had to deal with pressure a lot of the night. Yes the numbers look ugly, but I don't think he was really reckless with the ball. Sure there were a couple ugly throws, but there was more good than bad, he just didn't get a lot of help in the passing game.

13 minutes ago, Mike said:

Regard it as a punt.

Dribbled ball...should be a safety, would be a single if it went out directly from the kick, since Edmonton punched it out of touch it's a safety.  Could have been a huge turning point handing Edmonton the ball and some field position on a botched call.  The key words below are "directed" and "possessed."  If Edmonton recovered the ball and killed the play it's a single.  Directing it out of touch makes it a safety.

Article 3 — Safety Touch

A safety touch is scored when the ball becomes dead in the possession of a team in its own Goal Area, or touches or crosses the Dead Line or a Sideline in Goal as a result of the ball having been carried, kicked, fumbled or otherwise directed from the Field of Play into the Goal Area by the team scored against, or as a direct result of a kick from scrimmage having been blocked in the Field of Play or Goal Area.

After a safety touch, the options to the scoring team are to:

1. Scrimmage at their own 35-yard line,
  2. kickoff from their own 35-yard line or,
  3. Accept a kickoff from the 25-yard line of the team who conceded the safety touch.

If while in the act of conceding a safety touch, a team deliberately, in the judgment of the official, commits a Holding infraction, the score shall count and the penalty applied at the point where the ball is next put into play.

When a Rough Play or Unnecessary Roughness foul is committed on a play during which a safety touch is scored by the non-offending team, the score shall be allowed and the penalty assessed from the point where the ball is next put in play.

Article 4 — Single Point Or Rouge

If the ball is kicked into the Goal Area by an opponent, a rouge is scored:

1. when the ball becomes dead in possession of a team in its own Goal Area or,
  2. when the ball touches or crosses the Dead Line or a Sideline in Goal, and touches the ground, a player or some object beyond these lines.

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I think that's unfair. He hit Matthews and Matthews let the db interupt the pass, he hit Demski in traffic and Demski put it on the ground, he hit wolitarsky and again it hit the ground. I think his passing numbers look worse than they should to be honest. There was even the swing pass to Harris on 2nd and 20 that I put the blame on Harris. He had to get that ball out quick and Harris wasn't ready for it. 

Streveler is not a bad passer, our team just has a bad passing game plan a lot of nights. He also had to deal with pressure a lot of the night. Yes the numbers look ugly, but I don't think he was really reckless with the ball. Sure there were a couple ugly throws, but there was more good than bad, he just didn't get a lot of help in the passing game.

I actually think Streveler has better 10-20 yard passing game than Nichols.  He doesn't have enough touch on the deep balls and isn't great on the balls into the flats, swing passes.  Those 10-15-20 yard ones he puts right on guys.

Just now, 17to85 said:

Streveler has to learn to pass from the pocket. Not on every play but he does have to learn to stand in there & go thru his reads. Dieter Brock came to the Bombers with a strong arm & nothing else. He could run as he was athletic but he struggled throwing the ball. Head Coach Bud Reilly turned him into a roll out passer where he only had to read one side of the field & he routinely threw for 3,000 yards. When Ray Jauch got here he helped Brock throw from the pocket & progress thru his reads. He went from a 3,000 yard passer to a qb who could throw for 4000 to almost 5,000 yards a season. Streveler will need time to develop into a complete qb. The guy has a strong arm like Brock. But is LaPo the guy to teach him?

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Streveler has to learn to pass from the pocket. Not on every play but he does have to learn to stand in there & go thru his reads. Dieter Brock came to the Bombers with a strong arm & nothing else. He could run as he was athletic but he struggled throwing the ball. Head Coach Bud Reilly turned him into a roll out passer where he only had to read one side of the field & he routinely threw for 3,000 yards. When Ray Jauch got here he helped Brock throw from the pocket & progress thru his reads. He went from a 3,000 yard passer to a qb who could throw for 4000 to almost 5,000 yards a season. Streveler will need time to develop into a complete qb. The guy has a strong arm like Brock. But is LaPo the guy to teach him?

but the pocket was not there for a lot of the night. Edmonton gets pressure, it's their thing on defense. I won't argue that he was great passing, but between the drops and the run heavy (including called qb runs) game plan he also didn't have a lot of opportunity to be much of a passer. 

I think Streveler like most young qbs needs the game to slow down for him, but I don't really worry if he has to pass. He can hit guys, he's shown that. Just give him some help like all qbs need. 

5 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Maybe not, but I think Buck Pierce might be. 

18 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Streveler reminds me of Tebow. Monster qb who's a great runner, but a work in progress as a passer. 

Streveler has one thing going for him compared to Tebow. He has better throwing mechanics. Tebow had the big windup which is of course slower getting rid of the ball & it affected his accuracy. Streveler has a much more compact delivery. The ball stays near his ear & he gets rid of it quickly. Accuracy is an issue but that can be improved. His footwork probably needs work. 

1 minute ago, do or die said:

and should talk more about the Bomber DL

100% this. Especially considering how deep we are in the depth at end, but our defensive line are beasts. They may not get as many sexy stats, but Stove and Nevis in the middle are complete road blocks and even the random German we brought in is collapsing the pocket. Just a bunch of guys who play hard honest football and make the opponent earn every inch they get. 

5 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

but the pocket was not there for a lot of the night. Edmonton gets pressure, it's their thing on defense. I won't argue that he was great passing, but between the drops and the run heavy (including called qb runs) game plan he also didn't have a lot of opportunity to be much of a passer. 

I think Streveler like most young qbs needs the game to slow down for him, but I don't really worry if he has to pass. He can hit guys, he's shown that. Just give him some help like all qbs need. 

I know because Desjarlais played like **** & really shouldn't be starting but still he isn't going thru his reads. If his first read isn't there he takes off. 

This is exactly the kind of game we could have expected from Streveler. He, and Harris provided just the right amount of ‘who gets it this time’ kind of offence. Both had 6.8 yard averages. The game was poker. The bluff was on. The wild card was Streveler. We can win with this because Streveler will settle down and the passing game will come. In the meantime, thank goodness for a knock ‘em dead defence and a solid special teams..

18 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Dribbled ball...should be a safety, would be a single if it went out directly from the kick, since Edmonton punched it out of touch it's a safety.  Could have been a huge turning point handing Edmonton the ball and some field position on a botched call.  The key words below are "directed" and "possessed."  If Edmonton recovered the ball and killed the play it's a single.  Directing it out of touch makes it a safety.

Article 3 — Safety Touch

A safety touch is scored when the ball becomes dead in the possession of a team in its own Goal Area, or touches or crosses the Dead Line or a Sideline in Goal as a result of the ball having been carried, kicked, fumbled or otherwise directed from the Field of Play into the Goal Area by the team scored against, or as a direct result of a kick from scrimmage having been blocked in the Field of Play or Goal Area.

After a safety touch, the options to the scoring team are to:

1. Scrimmage at their own 35-yard line,
  2. kickoff from their own 35-yard line or,
  3. Accept a kickoff from the 25-yard line of the team who conceded the safety touch.

If while in the act of conceding a safety touch, a team deliberately, in the judgment of the official, commits a Holding infraction, the score shall count and the penalty applied at the point where the ball is next put into play.

When a Rough Play or Unnecessary Roughness foul is committed on a play during which a safety touch is scored by the non-offending team, the score shall be allowed and the penalty assessed from the point where the ball is next put in play.

Article 4 — Single Point Or Rouge

If the ball is kicked into the Goal Area by an opponent, a rouge is scored:

1. when the ball becomes dead in possession of a team in its own Goal Area or,
  2. when the ball touches or crosses the Dead Line or a Sideline in Goal, and touches the ground, a player or some object beyond these lines.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment. Article 4, point 2 is exactly what happened on that play.

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I know because Desjarlais played like **** & really shouldn't be starting but still he isn't going thru his reads. If his first read isn't there he takes off. 

And if it's Nichols if read 1 isn't there it's dump down to Harris. 

Time to ask what the hell Lapo is doing that qbs get 1 read and then it's bail out. 

10 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Streveler has one thing going for him compared to Tebow. He has better throwing mechanics. Tebow had the big windup which is of course slower getting rid of the ball & it affected his accuracy. Streveler has a much more compact delivery. The ball stays near his ear & he gets rid of it quickly. Accuracy is an issue but that can be improved. His footwork probably needs work. 

Yeah, Streveler definitely has a quicker release.

5 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Then there's the other Harris who routinely lights it up  throwing the ball but loses. They have the receivers, the OL & running back yet Harris can't deliver.

I have long believed that mentally Harris is weak. Lots of seasons he has a great summer but completely awful fall. Good at throwing short passes but when teams tighten up in scoring range he struggles. 

16 minutes ago, Yourface said:

I respectfully disagree with your assessment. Article 4, point 2 is exactly what happened on that play.

If Jefferson picked it up and punted yes...since it was dribbled and Edmonton batted it out, Bombers never possessed it.  It’s a safety.  I’ve seen this play scenario before.

17 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I have long believed that mentally Harris is weak. Lots of seasons he has a great summer but completely awful fall. Good at throwing short passes but when teams tighten up in scoring range he struggles. 

Yeah ok? Harris didnt absolutely own the riders last year in the semi....

And hes won a cup...

You're wrong.