Nichols Injury

Noeller

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Some of your names... Do you even know where these players are now? Michael Bishop is 43 years old. Max Hall is or was in prison. Buckley is a medical student at the U of C. Crompton has just been hired by the RedBlacks as an offensive coach. None of the rest will ever play again so why even bring their names up?

no, I seriously think that Johnny Manziel will get another CFL shot, and that SamCanadian's best football years are still ahead of him.

17 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

Why is nobody talking about Colin Kapernick... experienced QB, just needs to learn the Canadian game... cmon get'er done!

He wouldn’t even sign a deal with Denver worth millions of dollars to fight for a starting position. The dude is pretentious. No way he comes to the CFL.

21 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

He wouldn’t even sign a deal with Denver worth millions of dollars to fight for a starting position. The dude is pretentious. No way he comes to the CFL.

I would not call him pretentious. He took a principled stand that has cost him a lot of abuse and has given up millions in income. 

50 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

Why is nobody talking about Colin Kapernick... experienced QB, just needs to learn the Canadian game... cmon get'er done!

leave that to Montreal or Toronto, they always seem to be wanting to start some sideshow with a celebrity player that just distracts from the game and the team.

42 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

To be fair, he wasn't willing to take a 4 million dollar paycut to fight for a backup position when he currently had a starting position.   

Denver offer was pre-2016 after he had a couple of rough years (2014/2015), they were looking to trade with SF for Kapernick but wanted him to cut his salary and compete to be the starter.  Logically it made more sense for Kapernick to stay with SF if he thought he could have a comeback year (which he did) in the starter role.  The fact he wasn't signed in 2017/2018 given the QB situation for a number of teams is well... his lawsuit is exceedingly reasonable.

My post was a joke, Kapernick probably can't afford to play in the CFL because of his lawsuit - can't argue that teams are colluding to not sign him if he's signed a contract that precludes him from playing in the NFL.  

On a somewhat related note, last night I was watching Peyton Manning interview Joe Montana. The topic somehow got onto John Candy. Joe said that Candy was pressing him hard to sign with the Argos (Yes, Montana said Toronto Argonauts) when he was part owner. Joe didn't say whether it was ever a consideration.

Edited by Pete Catan's Ghost

It would be nice if we could wait around until a few low on the depth chart NFL QB's get cut. Not that they could step in right away, but, there are a few names on there who are interesting. I suspect though that the Bombers will sign someone late this week or early next week with CFL experience. I'm guessing Willy or Bridge. Some potential NFL QB's who look like they may be cut who are of interest include:

Jake Browning - on Calgary's neg list, but ...

Chad Kelley - formerly of Last Chance U! Big time arm.

Taylor Heinicke - the Vikings were pretty high on him before he kicked a glass door with his bare foot (?)

Tom Savage - journeyman who may want one more chance at becoming a starter, somewhere

Kyle Lauletta - big time college player at a smaller school, Richmond

Edited by M.Silverback

The NFL settled Kap's suit already.  But there is no way he is going to come back to football.  He has too much to lose in sponsorships if he came back and looked like he did the last year and a half that he played.  People remember him from the couple of seasons before the rest of the league adjusted to the RPO.

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

The Vikings apparently like Jake Browning a lot and it seems more likely they ditch Sloter than him.

Like you say, he is Calgary's property for now anyway if he does ever head north.

Sloter is a QB who I think would do very well in the CFL. Wonder if he's on a neg list. He does well in pre-season games, so he may have a bit of an edge over Browning now, but who knows. 

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

Heinicke looks to have all the physical tools but I would questions his smarts. Still, everyone has the occasional brain cramp, particularly after some demon rum.

You're right. But, if the Panthers cut him it might be the end of the line for the NFL for now. Come to Canada, play well enough to make the NFL forget your issues with glass doors!

Edited by M.Silverback

6 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

Sloter is a QB who I think would do very well in the CFL. Wonder if he's on a neg list. He does well in pre-season games, so he may have a bit of an edge over Browning now, but who knows. 

You're right. But, if the Panthers cut him it might be the end of the line for the NFL for now. Come to Canada, play well enough to make the NFL forget your issues with glass doors!

I think Sloter is trying to beat out Mannion though, and I don't think he is going to do that.

Sloter would be a good CFL neg lister, I would imagine he lands elsewhere down south if he's cut.

Edited by Geebrr

3 hours ago, MC said:

The NFL settled Kap's suit already.  But there is no way he is going to come back to football.  He has too much to lose in sponsorships if he came back and looked like he did the last year and a half that he played.  People remember him from the couple of seasons before the rest of the league adjusted to the RPO.

he got a pretty hefty payday from Nike, did he not??

5 hours ago, M.Silverback said:

It would be nice if we could wait around until a few low on the depth chart NFL QB's get cut. Not that they could step in right away

. I suspect though that the Bombers will sign someone late this week or early next week with CFL experience. I'm guessing Willy or Bridge. 

Yeah, it would take most nfl guys 2-3 yrs to play up to level here....some would never adjust. 

Just now, Tracker said:

Today O'Shea was quoted as saying that they would not get serious about looking for another QB until early next week.

they want to see how Streveler looks in his first game.....if it's a tire fire, they'll have someone in town by Sunday at the latest.