Nichols Injury

Noeller

as a QB, does Bridge's passport matter in more than a warm and fuzzy "yay 🍁 QB!" way?

anyway, here is my ranking of potential free agent Bomber emergency airlift pivots, disregarding all other factors, like whether they are physically capable of playing, willing to unretire or are admissible into Canada. I think Atomic is right, not a lot of great options out there.

Ray > Glenn > Lulay > Bennett > Willy > Pierce > Bishop > Crompton > Fever > Max Hall > Buckley > SamCanadian > Brohm > Bridge  > Manziel

Edited by johnzo

10 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Franklin *could* be a decent pick up that is feasible.   I think they would be more aggressive if Nichols was out with a season ending injury.   For 6 weeks is it worth wasting a draft pick and Franklin's time?

Remind me why Toronto is trading James Franklin again...?

Because MBT and Collaros are lighting up the CFL?  Or just giving up on him after 2/3 of a season?

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

I would be interested in moving a 4th or 5th round pick for James Franklin if he is available. I don't like any of the experienced options out there right now.

Why would Toronto take that deal? To help us out? Nope.. it would take a lot more than that to get Franklin especially since we just lost our starting QB.

3 hours ago, johnzo said:

Dude won games for Chris Jones who in 2018 had an occult power to win games he had no business winning.

Seriously I'd rather see the Fever back.  Dan L is just as good a runner as Bridge and has had a couple competent passing games in his career.

Haha. The fever is near the bottom of the list of guys id like back. Id rather get apodaca back from the leos pr. Id much rather trade for bennett or some one with a pulse. 

2 hours ago, do or die said:

LeFevour almost had Do or Die arm strength....

Only after a bad loss and a lot of pump the gin bottle with your tossin arm. Probably the worst arm ive ever seen on a pro qb. 

3 hours ago, Ripper said:

I was surprised how slow he was when he was in camp with us. Doesn't show quite as much heading straight up field in run blocking, but in pass protection he was and is a pylon

Cus you guys tried to use him as a tackle. Not many people on the planet are that big and consistently quick enough to play tackle. None of them are in the cfl. 

3 hours ago, Floyd said:

Bond should not be diminished - he was and still is an all star from what I see

Neufeld became a dominant LG as well - far beyond expectations - I’m sure his influence is in coaching up young guys like speller too

No doubt his contribution as a leader for the young guys has been massive. If he wants it he will have a long career as an OL coach after his playing career is done. 

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say we sign Austin Apodaca...

Hes with bc and pretty highly thought of. But is on their PR. Hes 100% a guy worth developing further, but Id take mcguire over him. 

2 hours ago, johnzo said:

as a QB, does Bridge's passport matter in more than a warm and fuzzy "yay 🍁 QB!" way?

anyway, here is my ranking of potential free agent Bomber emergency airlift pivots, disregarding all other factors, like whether they are physically capable of playing, willing to unretire or are admissible into Canada. I think Atomic is right, not a lot of great options out there.

Ray > Glenn > Lulay > Bennett > Willy > Pierce > Bishop > Crompton > Fever > Max Hall > Buckley > SamCanadian > Brohm > Bridge  > Manziel

Id minus willy short of being able to prove he is over the shell shock. Which you cant do with out live fire. Just too much risk. Bishop would 100% strap em back on and give er. Wouldnt go with him either though, or any one under that line. Brohm actually has a good coaching gig going on down south. 

Pierce would be funny. Plop over the head set, "wtf was with that throw, pierce go get in pierces ear and tell samcanadian to start warming up"...

Lulay might be the top of the list for a short term replacement for me actually. Though glenn would slot right into this system. Ray would be interesting and work well in our offense for about 8 plays till he was hurt again. 

Heck AC is an ast coach in the cis maybe he could right the wrong choice of the reggie slack era and finally arrive in the peg. 

How about mr robert marvelous? Im sure his knee would hold up to the flight north of the border again. (or is he in jail?)

I dont see any chance we pay ray or glenn enough to come back. I suspect itll be some retread that knows the play book and causes a lot of sighs when signed. 

18 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Why would Toronto take that deal? To help us out? Nope.. it would take a lot more than that to get Franklin especially since we just lost our starting QB.

1, salary cap issues. They are paying 2 guys high end starter money plus who knows what to MBT their actually starter. 2, they have a log jam of 3 guys with out a ton of development that can happen out side of games. They are a garbage fire and best off developing a young qb or two to try and dig them out long term. 3, they need assets to rebuild. 4, franklin has been a bust for to and hasnt been their best qb when he has been healthy. 5, the argos are not in the play off picture so our status doesnt effect them at all. 

Not sure its enough value, and maybe they choose to move MBT instead of franklin for some reason but id bet they would make a trade for the right return. (not an arm and a leg either)

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

1, salary cap issues. They are paying 2 guys high end starter money plus who knows what to MBT their actually starter. 2, they have a log jam of 3 guys with out a ton of development that can happen out side of games. They are a garbage fire and best off developing a young qb or two to try and dig them out long term. 3, they need assets to rebuild. 4, franklin has been a bust for to and hasnt been their best qb when he has been healthy. 5, the argos are not in the play off picture so our status doesnt effect them at all. 

Not sure its enough value, and maybe they choose to move MBT instead of franklin for some reason but id bet they would make a trade for the right return. (not an arm and a leg either)

Just leave Franklin on the IR if they have SMS issues. Same place that they'll likely leave Collaros for a while. The do need assets to rebuild, but a 4th or 5th round pick isn't much of an asset. Being a garbage fire and out of the playoff picture is no reason to give a QB with upside away for little or nothing. If we offered them a starter and a 1st rounder like we got for Willy, then they'd likely take it but that's more than I'd give up for Franklin.

16 hours ago, johnzo said:

Some of your names... Do you even know where these players are now? Michael Bishop is 43 years old. Max Hall is or was in prison. Buckley is a medical student at the U of C. Crompton has just been hired by the Argos as an offensive coach. None of the rest will ever play again so why even bring their names up?

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:

Just leave Franklin on the IR if they have SMS issues. Same place that they'll likely leave Collaros for a while. The do need assets to rebuild, but a 4th or 5th round pick isn't much of an asset. Being a garbage fire and out of the playoff picture is no reason to give a QB with upside away for little or nothing. If we offered them a starter and a 1st rounder like we got for Willy, then they'd likely take it but that's more than I'd give up for Franklin.

Only works if the player wants to stay on the IR. why would a young qb who has earned a chance to start sit on the IR behind 2 other guys? Why would any one want to stand behind that OL either. 

No i agree that isnt much. But that doesnt have to be the compensation. We have lots of pieces to offer. 

No one is going to offer that kind of haul for some one like franklin. One dumb trade years ago doesnt mean all trades will be that way. Remember what we gave up for nichols? Some thing in the middle is realistic. A conditional pick that becomes a first if he starts a bunch of us other wise is like a 3rd with other pieces like a back up or NLer etc makes sense. 

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

Some of your names... Do you even know where these players are now?

How about kliff kingsbury... 😆 Some of our former qbs, especially ones that didnt pan out are doing really well for them self right now. 

Edited by wbbfan

33 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Only works if the player wants to stay on the IR. why would a young qb who has earned a chance to start sit on the IR behind 2 other guys? Why would any one want to stand behind that OL either. 

No i agree that isnt much. But that doesnt have to be the compensation. We have lots of pieces to offer. 

No one is going to offer that kind of haul for some one like franklin. One dumb trade years ago doesnt mean all trades will be that way. Remember what we gave up for nichols? Some thing in the middle is realistic. A conditional pick that becomes a first if he starts a bunch of us other wise is like a 3rd with other pieces like a back up or NLer etc makes sense. 

Which is it? Wouldn't want to stay on the IR or wouldn't want to play behind that OL? It can't be both. 😎

Franklin was 'the' next big QB a couple of years back. He beat Nichols out in Edmonton, which is why we got Nichols for so cheap. I don't think Franklin's fallen to the #3 spot on the depth chart in Toronto, despite TSN saying all those nice things about MBT.  In fact, I'd guess he's still number 1 unless Collaros decides to put his future on the line for one more kick at being a starting QB again.

I agree that no one will offer that much for Franklin, so I think he stays where he is. I can't imagine Toronto giving him away for a box of tape and a 4th round pick, even if there's a chance of it moving up to a 1st rounder based on playing time.

3 hours ago, johnzo said:

🍁

I heard Deiter Brock on the radio recently (out here in SK) and he said he wasn't doing anything...SO...if he can still throw a football even 40 yards from his knees...heh, that's good enough for me!!

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Okay, I'll play. I think Don Jonas is an option. If he can play & play well at 34 then why can't he at 79?

That reminds me of a story I once heard about Gordie Howe. A number of years ago a reporter asked him, "If you played in today's NHL, how many goals would you score?" Gordie answered, "30!" The reporter queried further, "Only 30?" Gordie shot back, " What do you expect from a 75 year old!"

40 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Which is it? Wouldn't want to stay on the IR or wouldn't want to play behind that OL? It can't be both. 😎

Franklin was 'the' next big QB a couple of years back. He beat Nichols out in Edmonton, which is why we got Nichols for so cheap. I don't think Franklin's fallen to the #3 spot on the depth chart in Toronto, despite TSN saying all those nice things about MBT.  In fact, I'd guess he's still number 1 unless Collaros decides to put his future on the line for one more kick at being a starting QB again.

I agree that no one will offer that much for Franklin, so I think he stays where he is. I can't imagine Toronto giving him away for a box of tape and a 4th round pick, even if there's a chance of it moving up to a 1st rounder based on playing time.

It very well can be both. In fact he can use not willing to be on the IR to force the argos hand. Why would any qb, little on one who has been hurt this year want to stand behind that line? How do you see it not being possible to want off the argos, not sit on the IR when healthy and generally not want to be behind that line. 

Nichols was sold cheap not because strictly of franklin, but because the moes didnt want a game manager. They and the view around the league was he was a guy on a team who kept winning inspite of his lack of production. They were looking for any one who would be more productive and he was benched to get franklin in. 
It isnt possible to tell what popp intends. But he loves tough aggressive qbs. And franklin hasnt been that at all in TO. 

To and popp need to make moves and improvements to keep the nearly dead fan base and popps job going. Hense the desperate trade for collaros. Money in part, like i said, and if they view MBT as the starter (which i would as well) itd be a good time to move on. That said I would prefer to get MBT back. 

Aside from 2 games in 2016/2015 beating up on the argos he hasnt had more then 300 yards or 2 tds in a game. He has 2 more multi td games then multi pick games. Mbt has produced more this year alone, let alone twice against us. A long with last year beating up on good Ds like ott, ssk, and ham. Mbt would make more sense to trade if they view him as topped out for potential and really believe in franklin. but thatd be hard for the TO fan to swallow. I think franklin would be the guy to go. 

35 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Not at 43. He knows his playing days are over. He's making twenty times the money & in American funds he'd make as a Blue Bomber.

If you listen to him talk the last couple years he would 100% take the shot for one more game.  Hes just one of those guys.

Hes probably not really hurt for money at any point post college. The pats were pretty high on him and IIRC he got his NFL pension. 

Edited by wbbfan