Nichols Injury

Noeller

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

And I wouldn't touch Bridge with a 10 foot pole, but I'd give willy a shot. At least he could pass and read a defense at one point.

100%....at the end of the day, whoever you're bringing in, isn't a guy that will have to play (God willing and the creek don't rise...) and I'd rather it be Willy that's the "veteran" voice in the room than Brandon Bridge....all day and twice on Sundays.

Thing with Bridge...sure not a guy who's gonna go through all his progressions..but he can stretch a defense...and like Streveler can run a defense ragged...so if Strev got hurt we could still employ the same offensive scheme...

I truly think Willy is beyond fixing in his head..

Edited by Booch

On 2019-08-17 at 4:42 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

What exactly does that mean? If Streveler can't be effective as a starter we're finished. I don't care how much talent we have. We still won't win.

That’s a big if. This team is structured to win despite not getting much from the wh position.  If the riders are winning with Fajardo, the Ticats with Evans, and the Als with Adams....  Winnipeg gonna be just fine with Streveler. 

all we may be looking for (if Nichols is gonna be out long term) is a guy solely to back-up Streveler...and one with at least some CFL experience in case he gets hurt...if he struggles...he struggles but we will ride it out with him and hopefully he learns from it and progresses...which I fully expect him to....it's NOT to replace him as the starter

Another name that prob be worth looking at or considering is Alex Ross...knows the league...knows our playbook from being here last year..and is still relatively not too far removed from the game as he did have a stint in the AAF

9 minutes ago, Booch said:

Thing with Bridge...sure not a guy who's gonna go through all his progressions..but he can stretch a defense...and like Streveler can run a defense ragged...so if Strev got hurt we could still employ the same offensive scheme...

I truly think Willy is beyond fixing in his head..

Willy is a big no way jose for sure.  Bridge is bad, oh boy, he is bad.  He makes every play like he wants it to be the highlight of the night on sports center. BUT, at least Bridge can run around.  Its sad that there is a lack of qb's around. Where is Alex Ross these days

1 minute ago, Colin Unger said:

That’s a big if. This team is structured to win despite not getting much from the wh position.  If the riders are winning with Fajardo, the Ticats with Evans, and the Als with Adams....  Winnipeg gonna be just fine with Streveler. 

Exactly...and the Fajardo shine will come off pretty quick now too..as he really only feasted on the T.O's the BC's and OTT...even though still lost to Ottawa

CGY made him look like what he is..career backup...He has us 3 times..Cgy again..Edm twice..Montreal twice....Pretty certain he will struggle mightily in all those games...those are different defenses than what he has his wins against

18 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Wow Drew Willy - memories are short.  Bridge has his faults but he’s not going to single handedly lose games - Willy and his seven steamboats can do that

Sure he will, guy runs backwards all the time and is careless with his throws. It's the complete opposite of what this team needs. He is just terrible as a quarterback. He should make the switch to receiver or runningback honestly. 

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Can we vote for neither? If we get down to the point that you have to play Willy or Bridge for an extended period, the season is over. Seriously, what's the panic for essentially our fourth string QB? We've lost our number one. Our number two appears capable, we hope. If he's goes down, it's over. No Glenn, Willy, Bridge, Burris ... is going to save the season. If that happens (fingers crossed it doesn't), you ride with Sean (You complete ... passes) McGuire and we start talking CFL draft and debating whether we ride with Nichols again in 2020. 

Edited by M.Silverback

Bridge and Willy are both brutal options that I can't believe anyone is actually considering. I was at the playoff game in Regina last year and was blown away by how bad Bridge is at throwing a football. It's really something to see close up in person. As for Willy, seriously? He played okay for about a 3rd of a season 5 years ago. He was then brutalized, seemingly lost all confidence, played horribly, and is now out of football. I realize there aren't an abundance of options but come on now!

I think Bridge would be fine. Also think we may get one of Toronto's rejects as it seems they have a few too many QBs right now. Keep in mind that we are only looking for depth, not the next starter. IMHO if/when we bring someone in, they may be playing the Streveler short yardage role or holding the clipboard. I assume McGuire gets the backup/short yardage role, so... Pick the best clipboard holder who can scramble/short yardage in a pinch.

Edited by Marshall
sp mine

21 hours ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

I know that it comes with the turf and that Nichols is a known commodity, but what a shitty set of circumstances for Matt and family if his injury is long term. In his heart of hearts, how much success does Nichols want Streveler to have if it means being replaced by him in the off-season without you having a chance to battle for your job through the playoffs?

No one knows better than Matt Nichols what it's like to be a perennial No. 2 and how hard you have to compete to win a starting job.  He competed with Mike Reilly in Edmonton and ended up No. 1 here, by default really because Willy was done and Nichols was competing with the likes of Brian Brohm and Robert Marve for the starter's job.  In Edmonton Nichols had a 5-7 record as a starter but threw way too many picks and actually lost his job to James Franklin. Nichols probably came back too early from his knee injury last year - and that decision to get back in early really hampered his performance.  He could have been looking over his shoulder at a young gun like Streveler and that's why he clawed to get back in early, who knows? I wish Matt well and hope he'll fully recover. Meantime looking forward to watching Streveler progress if that is the way we must go ...

Everyone's talking like we're bringing a QB in to start...  we're looking for a 3rd stringer and gadget QB - Brandon Bridge is that guy...  you want someone who is big, can run and may be stretch the field... 

There's really no one else available - maybe Alex Ross or Ricky Lloyd

Everyone's just throwing out recognizable names - all of whom appear to be retired and probably not in game shape