Nichols Injury

Noeller

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

And those guys all have terrible records for the most part, fajardo somehow hasn't fallen on his face yet, but playing the weak teams probably has something to do with that. Succeed against defenses like Calgary or Edmonton or Winnipeg and I might change my mind.

He already failed miserably against Calgary.. and really.. the wins they got other than the Hamilton game has been against garbage teams...and were gifted a free win in Montreal..

Although I’m not a Nichols fan I’ve wondered what would happen if he got hurt. Love Strevelers heart but he has shown nothing except that he can run. He looks like he’s taken a step back. My problem is why management hasn’t been bringing in guys if they know Streveler isn’t ready. Doesn’t seem  the coaches have very much confidence in him except to run. Again my question why were they not bringing in guys ? Be pro-active instead of re-active!!

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

Although I’m not a Nichols fan I’ve wondered what would happen if he got hurt. Love Strevelers heart but he has shown nothing except that he can run. He looks like he’s taken a step back. My problem is why management hasn’t been bringing in guys if they know Streveler isn’t ready. Doesn’t seem  the coaches have very much confidence in him except to run. Again my question why were they not bringing in guys ? Be pro-active instead of re-active!!

Um, okay. 

Heres my take.. Our O leads the league or close to in 2 and outs.. Def last in passing yards per game and likely last in total O yards a game.. 

Its not like Strev is being asked to put up 500 yards a game.. Heck 300 is likely what we average.. The sky isnt falling here people.. 

Get the ball to lucky and Harris and grant and quick passing game and maybe our O improves.. Cuz.. Yes 7 and 2 but 5 or 6 of that in reality is D and sp teams.. Strev can checkdown also.. But he also adds a running threat. Time to see if Lapo can design an O for Strevs strengths.  Running.. Short passes.. Kids young so likely a few more deep shots. Let's see what they can do.  Id imagine if bombers contacted Glenn its 6 weeks to season. 

Bombers aren't winning games cuz of the O tho so.. Yeah. Harris still ok? 

Edited by Goalie

21 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

I doubt they contact Glenn if Nichols was only going to be down for 5-6 weeks. It'd take Glenn 2 or 3 weeks just to understand the offence and get back into playing shape.

I disagree. Not only has Glenn been apart of this team/system already. Hes seen every offence you can imagine in the CFL. He'd likely be ready to go after a week (assuming hes in shape physically)

Contacting Glenn likely means Nichols is out 6+ weeks. Anyone who chalks the contract offer up to not having faith in Streveler is just making things up lol. You can not go with a 2 yr vet and a raw rookie as your QBs in the CFL long term. That's a recipe for disaster. Glenn has been in this locker room and seen a good portion of this system. It makes perfect sense as an insurance peice. I'm expecting another vet qb signing before the end of the week. Who? I'm not sure.

I know that it comes with the turf and that Nichols is a known commodity, but what a shitty set of circumstances for Matt and family if his injury is long term. In his heart of hearts, how much success does Nichols want Streveler to have if it means being replaced by him in the off-season without you having a chance to battle for your job through the playoffs?

6 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

I know that it comes with the turf and that Nichols is a known commodity, but what a shitty set of circumstances for Matt and family if his injury is long term. In his heart of hearts, how much success does Nichols want Streveler to have if it means being replaced by him in the off-season without you having a chance to battle for your job through the playoffs?

The prospect of not going out on your own terms is tough.

Plus to this is if Strev performs..and unseats Nichols based if he truly still wants to be here he may restructure his deal since he not the defacto starter no more.

Or..can be trade bait if he balks..that off season out based on his bonus is going to be an interesting time for sure with what happens

19 hours ago, Booch said:

Plus to this is if Strev performs..and unseats Nichols based if he truly still wants to be here he may restructure his deal since he not the defacto starter no more.

Or..can be trade bait if he balks..that off season out based on his bonus is going to be an interesting time for sure with what happens

True. I think either way management was going to be at a Nichols crossroads this January when they can walk away from his contract. Unless he would have won a Grey Cup for us. The decision to extend him or not may unfortunately be easier now. And Streveler too. If he doesn’t seize the moment we’re back to a QB search

Edited by M.Silverback

5 hours ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

I wouldn't know because I haven't been in the situation, but this is reality for every player in professional sports. Matt knows what he signed up for

Sure a lot of speculations on the possibilities Nichols is done for a while. Once there is a confirmation and if it's not good for Nichols then all the coaches will work to prepare Streveler as the No. 1 man.  I like our chances with him taking some pressure off Harris and taking what Edmonton gives him. Hey! he beat out Bennett that we seems to be wanting now.  We have a great team that will give a bit more if things go South. Hopefully some will be able to come back off the injured list.

3 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I wouldn't touch Drew Willy with a 10ft pole.  Bridge on the other hand could be interesting.   Neither of them are better than Streveler, but  we do need a 3rd qb in case something happens to Strev and McGuire gets the "Deer in headlights" syndrome.   Anyways the media will continue to speculate until we have confirmation from the Blue Bombers what the injury actually is.    My guess is that it's a separated shoulder and that's at least 4-6 weeks.     Hope Strev is ready.