Nichols Injury

Noeller

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

People got real down on Streveler as soon as he became the starter. Guy is still a good player

"He doesnt have the tools" - lots of people.

He's currently sitting 17th in the league behind just about everyone in terms of pass attempts this season.  Give the guy a little rope here... geez!   Lots of QBs struggle in their first several games and go on to have great careers!   

I dont understand the panic.... Nichols was mediocre the bulk of the season so far.  To think that isnt replaceable is pretty closed minded!

12 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

People got real down on Streveler as soon as he became the starter. Guy is still a good player

no kidding.... so the dod mcguire post was made in jest but is accurate.

Feel sorry for Nichols if he's out for a while, or for the season.

Edited by Mark F

14 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Fkn ridiculous is what it is...  and the Sask trolls haven't really even shown up yet

We finally have a QB that we can say we 'developed' and now its his time to step up...  I don't see the problem.

35 minutes ago, Atomic said:

This team is good enough all around to still win with an average QB. As long as Streveler and/or McGuire can play up to that level, I'm not worried at all. And after seeing guys like Arbuckle and Fajardo succeeding I can't see any reason why our guys can't do the same.

Arbuckle and Fajardo have played as plug and play QB's within traditional systems and have found some amount of success in doing so, both passing and rushing.  Streveler has not achieved that yet this year, he has played QB like a RB that occasionally throws the ball, big difference.  Not saying he can't achieve the transition but it will require an enormous leap for him to sit in the pocket and go through progressions.  The Johnny Manziel football school is officially closed, scrambling QB's can't be counted on to win games consistently in this era.  

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

Guy threw for 32 tds..4100 yards in senior season..and to this point in his career as a pro running gimmicky crap (other than the 4 he started in 2017) as as raw as you get raw rookie he has thrown for 1216 yards and 12 tds vs 8 int for a 61 percent passer...while rushing for 615 yards and 15 TD's...the guy knows how to score and has shown it

He has a year and a half under his belt..in same system with basically the  same teammates whom he knows..and who know him...with him now preparing as the guy pretty certain he can run things effectively..not as polished a passer as Nichols and may not at first go through all his progressions like Matt, but his added ability to gain yards with his legs will off set things as long as he is coached not to force things..he..and we will be fine and I bet you see our defense really notch it up now.

To be honest speaking as a defensive guy that I was a guy like Strevler gives way more headaches and assignment responsibilities and checks in meetings than Nichols would..you know what you get with Matt..his tendencies.. and his skills/limitations..Strev is a big unknown and that run threat is gonna be huge in teams game plan..especially if he comes out slinging down field 

Edited by Booch

5 minutes ago, Booch said:

Guy threw for 32 tds..4100 yards in senior season..and to this point in his career as a pro running gimmicky crap (other than the 4 he started in 2017) as as raw as you get raw rookie he has thrown for 1216 yards and 12 tds vs 8 int for a 61 percent passer...while rushing for 615 yards and 15 TD's...the guy knows how to score and has shown it

He has a year and a half under his belt..in same system with basically the  same teammates whom he knows..and who know him...with him now preparing as the guy pretty certain he can run things effectively..not as polished a passer as Nichols and may not at first go through all his progressions like Matt, but his added ability to gain yards with his legs will off set things as long as he is coached not to force things..he..and we will be fine and I bet you see our defense really notch it up now.

To be honest speaking as a defensive guy that I was a guy like Strevler gives way more headaches and assignment responsibilities and checks in meetings than Nichols would..you know what you get with Matt..his tendencies.. and his skills/limitations..Strev is a big unknown and that run threat is gonna be huge in teams game plan..especially if he comes out slinging down field 

You need to go repost this on riderfans under the Kevin Glenn thread they started this morning,  I see yer gaining respect over there quickly.

23 minutes ago, Booch said:

Also went a year in college with out a turn over. He's gonna be fine. 

35 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Arbuckle and Fajardo have played as plug and play QB's within traditional systems and have found some amount of success in doing so, both passing and rushing.  Streveler has not achieved that yet this year, he has played QB like a RB that occasionally throws the ball, big difference.  Not saying he can't achieve the transition but it will require an enormous leap for him to sit in the pocket and go through progressions.  The Johnny Manziel football school is officially closed, scrambling QB's can't be counted on to win games consistently in this era.  

Streveler hasn’t played a traditional QB role for us yet this year. You’re confusing change of pace gimmick QB for actual QB. He hasn’t been asked to sit in the pocket and go through progressions in a traditional sense, there’s a reason he operates the way he does when he comes in the game.

The coaching staff believes Nichols is a better player, why would they bring Streveler in for a different look if they wanted him to play the same way?

Not sure why we would even consider Glenn. In training camp and based on last year's performance as well as that in training camp we had Streveler, McGuire, Bennett and Nichols. Now Nichols goes down and we released Bennett because our coaching staff determined that Streveler and McGuire were the better two of the last three behind Nichols. Okay so you have a half season to go should Nichols not return. I would hope that the decision of the backup QBs was based on something other than standing around holding a clip board. These two guys now have a chance to show us and the coaches that they made the right decision. As has been said many times before next man up so why change at QB. I think Streveler given some quality reps with the first team, McGuire given some reps as well will bode well for us down the stretch. If they both continue to develop as the season winds down, we are at the half way point right now, we should win a few more games and get us into the playoffs. Hopefully by that time they will be well conversant with the play book and be more comfortable reading defenses etc. 

My big concern isn't so much how these two will develop but rather can or will Lapo change his game plan to suit their strength and develop their confidence with a play book designed for them. He did it for Nichols, dink, dunk and once in awhile, last game example, toss it deep as a change of pace, so why can he not do that for these two. Steveler has a gun, albeit not as accurate right now as one would hope, but he can run and throw on the run as well. McGuire in the short period of time we have seen him can also throw it good and has a good escape ability. So we have a cushion to work with. Let's see what happens and should Nichols be able to return prior to the end of the season or the playoffs then let him take over again with a short leash. We all know when he returns from injury he isn't the same as when he left.

Time will tell.

16 minutes ago, Tracker said:

And we were so smug about our QB situation and so mocking about other teams' QB situations. Is this karma?

I didn't see ANYONE being smug. When Masoli went down, this place was saying how the league needs marquee QBs and that no teams season should end that way. 

10 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I didn't see ANYONE being smug. When Masoli went down, this place was saying how the league needs marquee QBs and that no teams season should end that way. 

There were a lot of guffaws at Fajardo, Adams, Bethel-Thompson and Davis.

21 minutes ago, Tracker said:

There were a lot of guffaws at Fajardo, Adams, Bethel-Thompson and Davis.

And those guys all have terrible records for the most part, fajardo somehow hasn't fallen on his face yet, but playing the weak teams probably has something to do with that. Succeed against defenses like Calgary or Edmonton or Winnipeg and I might change my mind.

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Revisionist history. Fajardo was so bad coming in game 1 in relief of Collaros that fans and media were speculating about Isaac Harker starting game 2.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

I am?? I havnt perused there in a while..got tired of the juvenile and uneducated posts there

Yeh the normal people over there don't mind your insight into the game,  and they appreciate your knowledge of the game....but yeh the juveniles are scared of you lol