Nichols Injury

Noeller

There's likely going to be a lot of information coming by early next week, so this thread will be necessary...

Watching the highlight pack of the game, when Nichols gets up after being fallen on, he points at his shoulder and then points straight down......to me, he's saying his shoulder popped out....that it's dislocated. So if we're looking at a dislocated or separated shoulder, what is the recovery time on something like that? Is it a season ender?

If it was a dislocation that needed resetting he would probably receive conscious sedation using propofol (Michael Jackson's fav.) Barring complications, he could be released after an hour. Extenuating circumstances like tissue damage could be an issue that would delay his return to the field. His arm didn't look to be hanging enough for a dislocation but with the shoulder pads it's hard to tell.

Edited by Pete Catan's Ghost

If my mind serves me right, and my sports injury education was almost 30 years ago now a dislocation is the quicker rehab. 

Once the dislocation has been set the soft tissue around would need to be assessed. Soft tissue, muscle tendon damage is the longest to heal and hardest to saws. 

I don’t know if we’ve seen a QB do it but we’ve seen linemen with dislocated shoulders bang it back in to place, take a pain shot and return to playing. 

Seen that too..but i doubt it was dislocated when he was coming off field..from experience he wouldn't have been walking off field like that all up right and not really wincing.

He would have actually prob stayed on the field..at best on one knee hunched over..in utter discomfort..he may have had it separate a bit when Assbag Lemon landed on him..but it was in place already when he left field.

That being said when mine popped out it was immobile with arm pinned to stomach for pretty much 6 weeks..then you see how it is and start rehab..could be a 10 week process if it was dislocated...partilal or slight separation.. all depends on the player but I'd say 2..3..weeks being realistic

5 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

If it was a dislocation that needed resetting he would probably receive conscious sedation using propofol (Michael Jackson's fav.) Barring complications, he would be out after an hour. Extenuating circumstances like tissue damage could be an issue that would delay his return to the field. His arm didn't look to be hanging enough for a dislocation but with the shoulder pads it's hard to tell.

Exactly. When Nichols was walking the last few meters into the tunnel, he was not supporting or cradling his arm and he allowed it to swing a bit as he walked. With this evidence, it looks more like a strain or sprain which did not look to be severe. He may not start next week, but with the help of better living through chemistry, he could probably play but would have lost some strength and range of motion. If this was Reilly, we wouldn't be having this discussion at all.

Edited by Tracker

3 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

If it was a dislocation that needed resetting he would probably receive conscious sedation using propofol (Michael Jackson's fav.) Barring complications, he could be released after an hour. Extenuating circumstances like tissue damage could be an issue that would delay his return to the field. His arm didn't look to be hanging enough for a dislocation but with the shoulder pads it's hard to tell.

They had me in a fog on valium I think to do mine..I dont even remember the setting it back..but was told the hospital staff was scared I was gonna throw em around as I was in severe discomfort and very agitated...apparently took 5 people to get it back..though mine was popped completely out

1 minute ago, Booch said:

They had me in a fog on valium I think to do mine..I dont even remember the setting it back..but was told the hospital staff was scared I was gonna throw em around as I was in severe discomfort and very agitated...apparently took 5 people to get it back..though mine was popped completely out

Then they didn't give you the right stuff. Its call "snowing the patient".

5 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

Propofol is an excellent med. Lol.

Its a bit of a guessing game. If you overdose the patient, you depress or even halt respiratory and/or pulmonary functions. Usually not a good thing.

Edited by Tracker

1 minute ago, B-F-F-C said:

I can always count on Noeller to read my sarcasm.    It's Glenn's broken arm all over again.  

I'm extremely superstitious and really, truly believe we are cursed, as a franchise...