It’s time to hand the ball to Kevin Glenn

1 minute ago, Booch said:

Of any of the available pivots out there he would be only one I would chase.

MBT may eventually become available once injuries are sorted out in T.O., I can't see them giving up on Collaros or Franklin quickly for the price they paid to acquire them so MBT could become the odd man out.  He may actually do well here, the experience he's gained in T.O. losing all those games is valuable.

2 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

MBT may eventually become available once injuries are sorted out in T.O., I can't see them giving up on Collaros or Franklin quickly for the price they paid to acquire them so MBT could become the odd man out.  He may actually do well here, the experience he's gained in T.O. losing all those games is valuable.

We want an immobile guy with an int problem why?

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I thought he almost ran as hard as Streveler last night on a lot of plays..... he took a pounding last night and continued to get back up looking ready to do it again..... as for the interceptions maybe the receivers weren't doing their jobs properly...(?).... just saying I wouldn't be totally bummed if he ended up a Bomber..... 

Not sure why we would even consider Glenn. In training camp and based on last year's performance as well as that in training camp we had Streveler, McGuire, Bennett and Nichols. Now Nichols goes down and we released Bennett because our coaching staff determined that Streveler and McGuire were the better two of the last three behind Nichols. Okay so you have a half season to go should Nichols not return. I would hope that the decision of the backup QBs was based on something other than standing around holding a clip board. These two guys now have a chance to show us and the coaches that they made the right decision. As has been said many times before next man up so why change at QB. I think Streveler given some quality reps with the first team, McGuire given some reps as well will bode well for us down the stretch. If they both continue to develop as the season winds down, we are at the half way point right now, we should win a few more games and get us into the playoffs. Hopefully by that time they will be well conversant with the play book and be more comfortable reading defenses etc. 

My big concern isn't so much how these two will develop but rather can or will Lapo change his game plan to suit their strength and develop their confidence with a play book designed for them. He did it for Nichols, dink, dunk and once in awhile, last game example, toss it deep as a change of pace, so why can he not do that for these two. Steveler has a gun, albeit not as accurate right now as one would hope, but he can run and throw on the run as well. McGuire in the short period of time we have seen him can also throw it good and has a good escape ability. So we have a cushion to work with. Let's see what happens and should Nichols be able to return prior to the end of the season or the playoffs then let him take over again with a short leash. We all know when he returns from injury he isn't the same as when he left.

Time will tell.

19 minutes ago, Mike said:

People forget MBT used to be a Bomber.

Wouldnt be the worst thing we could do, but for now let’s roll with Strevy. Give him a week where the focus is getting him ready as the starter and I think we are going to see good things.

I have said it elsewhere, hut as long as Lapo doesn't coach like he's afraid of streveler throwing he will be fine. Of course with lapo coaching scared is always a real possibility 

6 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I have said it elsewhere, hut as long as Lapo doesn't coach like he's afraid of streveler throwing he will be fine. Of course with lapo coaching scared is always a real possibility 

Once again... Nichols had plays called to him to throw deep.... he hung on to long and got hurt.   Why do you refuse to admit that the issue is with Matt Nichols playing scared. 

Darian Durant's 2nd best passing season was with LaPolice so stop trying so hard blaming it on LaPo.  

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Once again... Nichols had plays called to him to throw deep.... he hung on to long and got hurt.   Why do you refuse to admit that the issue is with Matt Nichols playing scared. 

Darian Durant's 2nd best passing season was with LaPolice so stop trying so hard blaming it on LaPo.  

Yeah it's all Nichols fault. Your blind hate of Nichols wrong, my hate of lapo is founded in fact going all the way back to 2002. Guy is a brutal play caller and it has got him fired here twice already.

Edited by 17to85

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

You blame everything on Nichols. Just sayin'.

58 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah it's all Nichols fault. Your blind hate of Nichols wrong, my hate of lapo is founded in fact going all the way back to 2002. Guy is a brutal play caller and it has got him fired here twice already.

If you're living in the past then why not bring up how Nichols lost his starting job in Edmonton because of poor play?  

It's an impossible job for any coach to call a play when the QB gets *scared* and hangs onto the ball to long resulting in a sack.  

55 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

On Offense this year how could I not?   The oline has been rock solid,  Harris is near perfect,   the receivers have been the best it's been in years....      How can I blame anyone else when everyone does their job and the QB ends up holding onto the ball and going down for a sack.     The receivers for the most part have not had the dropsies... it's been balls thrown way off target or else QB hanging on to late for the sack.  

Last game I gave Nichols praise in the first quarter because he took two steps back and tossed the ball out to the receivers to make a play.    After the interception (not his fault) he started to play timid and game over for him.    

If we had an above average QB this offense would dominate  and we would be steam rolling teams.    

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

12 hours ago, 17to85 said:

The pro Nichols people want to give him all the credit in wins and no blame in loses. The long and short of it is he has been sub elite to border line elite, but that was one year. A year and a half ago. Since then he has been more average plus or minus. With some flashes but more minus then plus games. 

We've seen QBs below him elevate above him (masoli, Harris, arguably the young ones this year) and he has dropped off more then ever. All while our team poised more then ever to win a GC.

Immobile? No one in the league is immobile compared to Nichols.

Have to take the out come with a grain of salt. The Toronto team around him is among the worst teams of the decade if not the worst. 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

The pro Nichols people want to give him all the credit in wins and no blame in loses. The long and short of it is he has been sub elite to border line elite, but that was one year. A year and a half ago. Since then he has been more average plus or minus. With some flashes but more minus then plus games. 

We've seen QBs below him elevate above him (masoli, Harris, arguably the young ones this year) and he has dropped off more then ever. All while our team poised more then ever to win a GC.

Immobile? No one in the league is immobile compared to Nichols.

Have to take the out come with a grain of salt. The Toronto team around him is among the worst teams of the decade if not the worst. 

We're going to find out in the next few weeks if Streveler can play well enough for us to win.

7 hours ago, Brandon said:

On Offense this year how could I not?   The oline has been rock solid,  Harris is near perfect,   the receivers have been the best it's been in years....      How can I blame anyone else when everyone does their job and the QB ends up holding onto the ball and going down for a sack.     The receivers for the most part have not had the dropsies... it's been balls thrown way off target or else QB hanging on to late for the sack.  

Last game I gave Nichols praise in the first quarter because he took two steps back and tossed the ball out to the receivers to make a play.    After the interception (not his fault) he started to play timid and game over for him.    

If we had an above average QB this offense would dominate  and we would be steam rolling teams.    

Are we not the second best team in sacks given up with like 11? And only because Edm has that unbelievable amount of 3??

That isn't a problem here..its conservative play calling a lot of the time and the mindset stuck in Nichols head about not turning ball over..and that only came up after his 3 pick g as me in Hamilton..before that he was taking his deep shots..

And only reasons they reached out to Glenn is because if Nichols is out for an extended period we need a 3rd Qb with CFL experience for one.. and Glenn was here 2 years ago and already knows Lapo's offence, so he would come in hitting the ground running and if had to come in would pretty much know the playbook.

Those are the main reasons..this is Strev's team now and we will roll on with him..but if was struggling in a game...or God forbid gets hurt too then nothing against McGuire but or season is effectively over...Glenn at least can run dink and dunk and has seen it all so wont be on a learning curve

interesting to see Khari Jones anti Lapo/OShea approach to quarterbacking

Khari showed a lot of confidence in his qb, let the qb make tough throws, took some chances, and the qb responded producing late game and overtime touchdowns for wins.

The Bombers approach is the opposite of that. Might not be the best thing for a quarterback's confidence. Terrified to make a mistake.

21 hours ago, Mark F said:

hope you are right, but we don't really know what the idea is. Why would he consider coming here to play backup. If he was tempted, just a guess, wouldn't it be cause he had a chance to qb a Greycup winner? .

Do you honestly think that they would bring someone in and start them right away over a guy that has been here all year?  If you believe that you can bring in some free agent and have him start and play better than your backup, why wouldn't he already be here?   As has been said, you bring in a vet so that in the event that something happens to Streveler, you are not having to go with a complete rookie.  

It seems like you get better quarterbacking when you have people who truly understand the QB position running the show.

Look at Edm Mtl Calgary - Harris Adams Arbuckle - they are mentored by Maas Jones and Dickenson/Huff.

I hate them all but you have to admit QB is a strength on those teams. There have been times when I've have wondered if our weakest position in Winnipeg is QB.

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

interesting to see Khari Jones anti Lapo/OShea approach to quarterbacking

Khari showed a lot of confidence in his qb, let the qb make tough throws, took some chances, and the qb responded producing late game and overtime touchdowns for wins.

The Bombers approach is the opposite of that. Might not be the best thing for a quarterback's confidence. Terrified to make a mistake.

There is a difference between coaching to win and coaching not to lose

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We're going to find out in the next few weeks if Streveler can play well enough for us to win.

Yeah we are. We haven't needed much passing to win games this year. So I like our chances. Streveler may or may not be the long term answer but we will see that too.