Odds and Sods - BC Lions vs Blue Bombers

do or die

Lions waste no time.....start on D with 2 PI penalties...
Harris runs a couple for 14...out pattern to Lucky at the 10
Harris bobs and weaves to the BC 5...
Nichols keeps the ball on a zone option.....fans scratch heads....
...Matt solves problem by riffling TD pass to Demski on a slant, deep in the endzone...
Lankford with long KO return....but Lions nailed for holding...
Reilly throws great 25 yd pass to Burnham....
....but Gaitor tips away 2nd down pass attempt...
Nichols play action...then drops in perfect pass to Matthews deep for 50...
2nd down pass hits crossbar or post....Medlock 25 yarder.  10-0 Bomberrs
Reilly chucks up shot put ball under pressure....Carter catches it at center field...
Reilly then sacked by Roh.
Nichols with loads of time.....hits Demski right up the hashmark, for another 50...
Nichols scrambles and Woltman has ball bounce of hands....for cheap BC INT.
Reilly popping some short ones...against Bomber zone D...
BC gets an IC call, and passes to Burnham and Carter....
Richardson stops drive....making stop on 2nd and 3.  Lions kick the FG
For some reason....Nichols out: Streveler in.....who rolls out.....
...and has pass deflected for another sloppy INT...
Reilly pressured on 2nd incomplete.  BC kicks another FG.  10-6 Blue.
Harris takes a 2nd down and long draw...battles past 4 Lions for a FD...
Nichols sacked.   Medlock 45 yard attempt hits the uprights....
Bombers have left some points out there.....
Jake Thomas comes in on stunt and nails Reilly for huge sack...
Lankford runs around a bit...before giving up safety....
Bombers had called a time out.....yet decide to take ball, instead of a return..
Plenty of mumbling in the stands about that one.  12-6 Bombers at half.,.
Bombers driving for show...but not scoring for dough, so far....
BC starts 2nd half with big flea flicker - couple of Bombers sucked in on Carter throw...
White runs though a seam, all the way to the 4.  Then pops into end zone on next play
The 1-6 Lions are ahead now ...13-12.  What the hell?
Interesting to see how Blue react....
BC keeps using short kick offs ....but this one not quite short enough....
Grant wiggles and waggles....sideline to middle of field all the way to the BC 25...
Nichols has all day to throw but freezes in the pocket and is sacked....
Medlock's 37 yarder makes it 15-13 for the Blue...
Reilly throws out to the flat.....Jefferson is out there and leaps up for the pick....
....and runs it back to the BC 30.   Need to cash in on this one....
Nichols screens it to Lucky who cuts in and out...for big first down....
Nichols hits Lawler on hook pattern at the 1.  Matt sneaks it in.... 22-13
Reilly sacked by Nevis and Thomas....
Blue overload left side on punt rush....BC misses pickup......
Sayles blows in off the edge....clean block and quick scoop...for the TD
Bang...bang.  All of a sudden it is 29-15  BC looking like, well....BC..
All time CFL Canadian yards record for Harris announced on the PA....
....resulting in a very nice standing ovation from the 24,914....
Reilly finally gets off nice pass across the middle....but penalty calls it back...
Hansen in at end.....and promptly reaches around and punches ball out from Reilly...
2 runs from Harris, short of the marker.....who proceeds to limp off to his bicycle....
No punt.  Medlock comes in for the 54 yard FG attempt.....and puts that through!
20 straight points.....and control of this game for the Bombers...
White looks like he has huge gain around the edge...but is tripped up by Bighill...
Hansen marches into the Lion backfield to sack MR...but Jefferson offside...
Blue show 3 man DL set...but Hecht blows past White to blast Reilly....
Lions salvage 47 yd FG....while Reilly looking very unhappy with his OL...
Nichols dawdles rolling out of pocket, takes blindside hit and fumbles....
BC recovers at Blue 25.  Dumb turnover #3.....
Nichols runs out through tunnel, holding his arm....does not look good...
Bighill blitzes....hits Reilly, forces fumble and recovers it.  MR really looking pissed.
Streveler first series...busted play and an incompletion.  Blue O struggling in 2nd half again
White running ball hard for the Lions.  Sayles hitting hard for the Bombers....
Sayles with another nice tackle....our most aggressive DB, by a mile....
Hanson getting a lot of snaps....and looks pretty physical......
Him and Kongbo are popping the pads pretty good, here...
BC moving the ball with short stuff....but eating up gobs of time, down by 16...
Reilly connects with sideline pass to Durant to Bomber 33
50/50 ticket flashed on big board....scan numbers eagerly....but the fix is not in...
Reilly goes down again...this time at the wingspan of Jefferson...
3rd and 21...Mike chucks long throw to Carter....incomplete
Claybrooks decides to challenge this for something or other.....
No soap.  Turnover.  Game officially over.  BC sucks.
Augustine comes in to do his close out power run thing...
4 straight carries....2 first downs....clock strikes O, for Orange pumpkins...
Bombers get job done for my 500th game
I got job done with my 500th gin.  Give or take a few zeros..

Totally agree saw open receivers but he obviously didn’t. Hope he is okay though never want to see anyone hope.

On another note Fenner is a big problem in our backend. Reilly targeted him often and was successful in most cases. Watched on one play Fenner dropped off the line by 20 yards on one play that resulted in an easy reception for good yards and a first down.  

Overall defense took over game O struggled after first two series and Streveler didn’t look sharp in fact looked confused on more than 1 play.

we will see next week and the following 2 a test of time

I was specifically watching Bighill after he was being raked on this board, and I watched, in amazement, how far back Bighill went on that play. He was probably the 3rd deepest Bomber. Definitely not the traditional MLB position. 

I don't necessarily agree that Bighill isn’t doing well mainly because I don’t know what they’re asking him to do. It’s just that here, when somebody offers an opinion, that opinion may be carried forward as gospel because they read it somewhere. Then it is repeated, and suddenly Bighill is a bum, or injured, when, really he just doing his assignment?

4 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

I was specifically watching Bighill after he was being raked on this board, and I watched, in amazement, how far back Bighill went on that play. He was probably the 3rd deepest Bomber. Definitely not the traditional MLB position. 

I don't necessarily agree that Bighill isn’t doing well mainly because I don’t know what they’re asking him to do. It’s just that here, when somebody offers an opinion, that opinion may be carried forward as gospel because they read it somewhere. Then it is repeated, and suddenly Bighill is a bum, or injured, when, really he just doing his assignment?

You mean some of us on this board don't know a stick about game planning a football game or specific player assignments?   You're  cray cray 🤐

3 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

The QB draw to Nichols in the Red Zone is a play that has been called a few times and does not work.  Also, the hand-off to Demski up the gut is a play that could be retired from the playbook because it consistently nets 1 yard and leaves us 2nd and long.

When we're in the red zone close to the goal line that's Streveler time....Why Nichols is trying to run it in from close proximity (more than a yard) doesn't make sense when we have Streve as an option...I know Nichols did squeeze one in from the ONE but otherwise I think he should defer to Streveler

1 minute ago, Stickem said:

When we're in the red zone close to the goal line that's Streveler time....Why Nichols is trying to run it in from close proximity (more than a yard) doesn't make sense when we have Streve as an option...I know Nichols did squeeze one in from the ONE but otherwise I think he should defer to Streveler

I think Matty deserves a chance to still show he can get it all done for the team.   Too and he hasn't pounded one in from 5 yards out yet though..... 

1 hour ago, Doublezero said:

The QB draw to Nichols in the Red Zone is a play that has been called a few times and does not work.  Also, the hand-off to Demski up the gut is a play that could be retired from the playbook because it consistently nets 1 yard and leaves us 2nd and long.

I really think that should of been a pitch to Demski but it was covered. 

On 2019-08-16 at 11:04 AM, Doublezero said:

The QB draw to Nichols in the Red Zone is a play that has been called a few times and does not work. 

Welcome to Paul Lapolice.  They'll never expect this play that doesn't make any sense to call, so we'll call it and the surprise will make it work.  Explains all the years of we need X yards for a first down, so they'll never expect us to run a play for X-3 yards on second down.