Plop vs Nichols

wbbfan

Plop vs Nichols in the blame bowl  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who has to go?

• Plop
    • Nichols

6 hours ago, 66 Chevelle said:

are you sure? the only team with more 2 and outs than the Bombers going into this week was Toronto...

But I think the greater point, made well by TLB, is not "almost nobody has more 2 and outs" but "nobody has more wins"....

18 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

BOTH.

Nichols has channeled his inner Drew Willy for the last 2 seasons

LaPo is simply just a puss with no testicles 

the first 5 games of this season he was leading the league in virtually every statistical category, including QB efficiency and TD:INT ratio.....

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

But I think the greater point, made well by TLB, is not "almost nobody has more 2 and outs" but "nobody has more wins"....

That kind of stuff is nice now but really won't matter in November.  Offense needs huge improvement, needs ability to consistently put up first downs, points and close games.  Wouldn't matter if record is 6-2 or 2-6, building for November.  Getting complacent with wins now is useless to the ultimate goal.  Changes are absolutely necessary to scheme and potentially personnel if improvement doesn't start soon.

I get what you're saying JBR but every season is such a roller coaster, you can't worry about November now... Just enjoy this week for this week. Next week for next week. As clichéd as it is, MOS's "1-0 this week" thing is a good reminder for we as fans, as well... 

6 and 2 yup. If Nichols could close a game it would be 7 1. 6 and 2 is great but u got 3 teams now at 5 and 3 also. 7 and 1 gives you cushioning. 6 2 and a loss next week means likely tied for 1st.

The QB play is inconsistent. It needs to improve. Our o has talent, our QB needs to be better. 6 and 2 yup but with average quarterbacking not ridiculous fancy stats like passer rating... 8 and 0. Both games we lost because our QB sucked.

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I get what you're saying JBR but every season is such a roller coaster, you can't worry about November now... Just enjoy this week for this week. Next week for next week. As clichéd as it is, MOS's "1-0 this week" thing is a good reminder for we as fans, as well... 

We're saying the same thing.  In the interest of being 1-0 next week we need better offense.

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

the first 5 games of this season he was leading the league in virtually every statistical category, including QB efficiency and TD:INT ratio.....

It by every you mean just those two then yes. While enjoying by far the best field position in the league as well. And with Harris on track for a career year rushing. Not to mention plays like Lucky's where it was all run after the catch. 

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

They don't have a positive correlation, and how many hot starts to seasons lead to grey cups?

Having the most two and outs and among the lowest passing yards implies heavily that we are not as good as our record. 

We need to use Strev more, but actually rotating QB's throughout the game has never really worked in the history of football.

What we need to do is treat our QB situation with Nichols as the 1A and Strev has the 1B and pull Nichols when hes struggling. Let's not forget that Ricky Ray was often pulled for Jason Maas and Casey Printers/Dave Dickenson were also pulled for each other. If it's clear that one guy doesn't have it, give the the other guy a shot to finish the game. 

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

Sure, we could've said the same thing about the 7-1 2011 Bombers as well.

What happened to that team when the turnovers started to dry up? You can't rely on returning kicks for touchdowns to win and the offense has to be able to score the ball. 

14 hours ago, Brandon said:

Yes because this coaching staff has shown before that they are very slow to making adjustments.   It took them nearly 3 games to finally give Streveler a chance to move the ball for us.    

I'd like to know who  makes the decision to pull Nichols between O'Shea and LaPo.   If it's LaPo.... then I want both guys to go ASAP.  

How many times since O'Shea has arrived that we have complained about loyalty to a fault and keeping players who stink much longer then they need to.   

And how did Streveler move the ball? With his feet. Big deal.

11 hours ago, 66 Chevelle said:

are you sure? the only team with more 2 and outs than the Bombers going into this week was Toronto...

Well, actually OTT is tied with us for 2-and-outs. Although our 2-and-outs (44) are above league average (35.6), we also still lead the league in the following offensive categories, despite the bad road trip to Ontario:

- Offensive touchdowns (23)
- Overall touchdowns (25)
- Passing touchdowns (15)
- Rushing yards (982) - This is particularly good, considering how much more frequently SSK attempts to run the ball (SSK has 187 rush attempts, we have only 151 but still manage to lead the league in rushing yards).

We are also 2nd only to EDM in passing efficiency (EDM - 104.5, WPG 102.6)

I'd be more concerned with the high number of two-and-outs if we didn't maintain the ball offensively for so long, the two other teams with more two-and-outs (OTT, TOR) are also dead last in average time of possession (25:38 and 26:46), whereas the bombers (32:34) are much closer to the top average (MTL - 33:16).

This is indicative of OTT and TOR having to change their strategy to more pass-happy because they play from behind more often. This in turn is riskier, and thus results in more two-and-outs.

Changing your starting QB or offensive coordinator when you're 6-2 is nothing short of ridiculous. 

13 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Well, actually OTT is tied with us for 2-and-outs. Although our 2-and-outs (44) are above league average (35.6), we also still lead the league in the following offensive categories, despite the bad road trip to Ontario:

- Rushing yards (982) - This is particularly good, considering how much more frequently SSK attempts to run the ball (SSK has 187 rush attempts, we have only 151 but still manage to lead the league in rushing yards).

I'd be more concerned with the high number of two-and-outs if we didn't maintain the ball offensively for so long, the two other teams with more two-and-outs (OTT, TOR) are also dead last in average time of possession (25:38 and 26:46), whereas the bombers (32:34) are much closer to the top average (MTL - 33:16).

This is indicative of OTT and TOR having to change their strategy to more pass-happy because they play from behind more often. This in turn is riskier, and thus results in more two-and-outs.

Changing your starting QB or offensive coordinator when you're 6-2 is nothing short of ridiculous. 

I’ll liken it to a tribal desire for human sacrifices. 

Edited by Rod Black

1 hour ago, Eternal optimist said:

8 offensive plays in a quarter holding a lead is ridiculous.

Bombers offensive problems are consistency.  They can score 3 TD's in one half and do absolutely nothing in the next half, entire quarters without a first down.  This is not a new issue and in the end it affects them in the games against teams of their calibre.  Big plays are nice in all 3 phases but they tend to dry up when the competition gets better.  Need consistent ability to drive, grab 3-4 first downs most times offense hits the field.  Do that with good D and special teams and we'll score 25-30 every week, close out games and win most of them.

14 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

8 offensive plays in a quarter holding a lead is ridiculous.

Bombers offensive problems are consistency.  They can score 3 TD's in one half and do absolutely nothing in the next half, entire quarters without a first down.  This is not a new issue and in the end it affects them in the games against teams of their calibre.  Big plays are nice in all 3 phases but they tend to dry up when the competition gets better.  Need consistent ability to drive, grab 3-4 first downs most times offense hits the field.  Do that with good D and special teams and we'll score 25-30 every week, close out games and win most of them.

Sure, they have a problem closing out games, but is the solution really to blow up the entire offense by either jettisoning LaPo or Nichols or as some on here would argue, both? From everyone calling for LaPo's head, I've yet to hear of a suggestion for a replacement OC. Or maybe they think we'd be better off without an OC at all?

I didn’t vote but you asked so I thought I’d throw out a couple of names. 

Ive been a strong proponent of moving buck pierce up the food chain. He always was a cerebral QB who spent hours watching game film. I’ve always thought former QB’s make the best OC’s. 

The other is Ryan dinwiddie in Calgary. He has the title of OC but dickenson still calls the plays. If he wants to move up he’s going to have to prove he can be a true OC. Dickenson speaks very highly of him and often speaks with him during the game to discuss up coming plays and strategy. 

Those are two that come to mind. 

14 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

I didn’t vote but you asked so I thought I’d throw out a couple of names. 

Ive been a strong proponent of moving buck pierce up the food chain. He always was a cerebral QB who spent hours watching game film. I’ve always thought former QB’s make the best OC’s. 

The other is Ryan dinwiddie in Calgary. He has the title of OC but dickenson still calls the plays. If he wants to move up he’s going to have to prove he can be a true OC. Dickenson speaks very highly of him and often speaks with him during the game to discuss up coming plays and strategy. 

Those are two that come to mind. 

So... you're candidates are:

1. Buck Pierce: A guy who's never been an offensive coordinator.

2. Ryan Dinwiddie: A coordinator that sounds like nothing more than a puppet with the current staff in Calgary. Dickenson calls the plays, and Dinwiddie's formal title is Quarterbacks Coach. When Dinwiddie was in full control in Montreal, in 2013 - 2015, they never posted a winning season... and oddly enough that was in large part due to their putrid offense.