Plop vs Nichols

wbbfan

Plop vs Nichols in the blame bowl  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who has to go?

• Plop
    • Nichols

The plop offense with Nichols as a starting qb compound weaknesses for this team.

Pressure has built and dissipated this year and last. Expectations are higher then ever which is amplifying pressure. Being a steady play off team is not enough for the fan base any more. 

So if one has to go, who would you can? Out side of the in season issues I believe Nichols is a pending fa and plop could see HC interest continue. Streveler is a fa and will garner interest around the league as well.

I feel that Nichols is very limited right now.  Between him and Streveler, also limited by inexperience, we need 1 good QB.  I think their skills are complementary enough to accomplish this.  If I'm Walters/O'Shea I'm telling Lapo this is what we are doing, and unless one of them really takes control of the QB spot, it is what we'll be doing for the rest of the season.  Game and practice plan accordingly, split reps, build an offense to use both QB's.

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I feel that Nichols is very limited right now.  Between him and Streveler, also limited by inexperience, we need 1 good QB.  I think their skills are complementary enough to accomplish this.  If I'm Walters/O'Shea I'm telling Lapo this is what we are doing, and unless one of them really takes control of the QB spot, it is what we'll be doing for the rest of the season.  Game and practice plan accordingly, split reps, build an offense to use both QB's.

I personally think your scenario here will give us 0 good QBs, whereas the current one at least gets us 1.....

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I don't think they have any will to do that sadly. 

11 minutes ago, MrFreakzilla said:

I'm sure the dump off to Harris is always the 2nd read. Or maybe it really is the 1st option.

It certainly is the first look on some plays. It seems like the no2 most of the time right now. A lot of staring down the hot route then checking down. 

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

I personally think your scenario here will give us 0 good QBs, whereas the current one at least gets us 1.....

Where is that one qb? 

We've seen some success with split duty so I don't think it'd be bad for us. It can go bad though. 

10 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

This seems to be an odd poll for a team that is currently  6-2 and first in their division.   I will not be voting.

Most people have aspirations for this team greater then the 8 week champions. Especially when wins are not projectable to continue. 

Streveler should get more reps. Especially if Nichols is in the checkdown zone. 

I see no issue with splitting game reps. Strev brings a more dynamic approach than Nichols does. Voted Lapo tho cuz im not a fan of the conservative play calling altho part of that is likely Nichols. 

Edited by Goalie

2 hours ago, B-F-F-C said:

Are we 2 - 6? What team that’s 6 - 2 even thinks about getting rid of their OC or their starting QB? 

We sound like rider fans.

Drinking the cool aid to the point you embrace mediocrity is more rider fan Esq. 

2 hours ago, Rod Black said:

A neither option would be sensible, and less divisive. 

Very unrealistic to think both are back in the off season. And it's almost like this is a place for discussion. I would love to see a situation where both are likely to be brought back in the off season though. Please share. 

30 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Drinking the cool aid to the point you embrace mediocrity is more rider fan Esq. 

**** you asshat!  You see I’m level headed and I see that this team is better with Matt Nichols than without him. Now if you can miraculously find a QB better than Nichols, lets talk. However  Streveler is not that guy. If you think he is. Prove it with something more than just your opinion.  

4 hours ago, 66 Chevelle said:

I say Lapo as Nichols showed in games 3, 4, and 5 that he is actually capable of something other than the dink and dunk Lapo continues to call...

He clearly isn't calling the dink and dunk offense.    If it were all dink and dunk the ball would be coming out of his hand quickly.    Most definitely the Harris check downs is the 3rd - 4th option.   He just goes to it because either the opposition have the greatest coverage or because lack of confidence/ doesn't want to hurt his stats. 

4 hours ago, wbbfan said:

It certainly is the first look on some plays. It seems like the no2 most of the time right now. A lot of staring down the hot route then checking down. 

The problem is we don’t know this (despite some people claiming otherwise)... it’s easy to lay “blame” when you know the play call... if check down is actually the second read then LaPo is to blame but if Nichols is making one look then checking down, it’s Matt’s fault... 

5 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

do people really believe that if the coaches weren't OK with the dump offs that Nichols would have the leash he does? Give your heads a shake. 

Yes because this coaching staff has shown before that they are very slow to making adjustments.   It took them nearly 3 games to finally give Streveler a chance to move the ball for us.    

I'd like to know who  makes the decision to pull Nichols between O'Shea and LaPo.   If it's LaPo.... then I want both guys to go ASAP.  

How many times since O'Shea has arrived that we have complained about loyalty to a fault and keeping players who stink much longer then they need to.   

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

He clearly isn't calling the dink and dunk offense.    If it were all dink and dunk the ball would be coming out of his hand quickly.    Most definitely the Harris check downs is the 3rd - 4th option.   He just goes to it because either the opposition have the greatest coverage or because lack of confidence/ doesn't want to hurt his stats. 

You need to look at the strategy LaPo employs, Nichols throws the check down because it's a given gain, the objective is to avoid the 2nd and 10 situations which often lead to two and outs, stalling drives short of Medlock's range.  They can't run Harris on every down, so better to pick up 5 yds. on 1st down than taking the greater risk of throwing an incomplete pass and facing 2nd and 10 with the D anticipating the 10 yd. pass.  If the primary receiver is open great, but it's not always the case.

Give credit where it's due, it may be a boring conservative strategy but it does move the ball effectively and consistently which produces a majority of wins, even if some fans don't like it.  I don't think Nichols gives a rat's ass about his stats. and LaPo is not in the entertainment business, he prefers to count body blows which wear down the opponent rather than throwing hay-makers attempting to knock them out cold.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

30 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

You need to look at the strategy LaPo employs, Nichols throws the check down because it's a given gain, the objective is to avoid the 2nd and 10 situations which often lead to two and outs, stalling drives short of Medlock's range.  They can't run Harris on every down, so better to pick up 5 yds. on 1st down than taking the greater risk of throwing an incomplete pass and facing 2nd and 10 with the D anticipating the 10 yd. pass.  If the primary receiver is open great, but it's not always the case.

Give credit where it's due, it may be a boring conservative strategy but it does move the ball effectively and consistently which produces a majority of wins, even if some fans don't like it.  I don't think Nichols gives a rat's ass about his stats. and LaPo is not in the entertainment business, he prefers to count body blows which wear down the opponent rather than throwing hay-makers attempting to knock them out cold.

are you sure? the only team with more 2 and outs than the Bombers going into this week was Toronto...