It's time to hand the ball to Streveler.

White Out

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

I’d take Loffler over either of them

I always liked him. Sometimes goes for the hit too often when he should make the tackle but I like the aggressiveness. Willie had to get paid somewhere and I think it was at the expense of Loffler

20 minutes ago, Ripper said:

You are a huge Homer. Might be a news flash for you but the Bombers don't dominate every position and player and statistical category in the league

yeah but when it comes to Canadian depth only a ******* idiot rider fan would compare their pile of trash with what the Bombers have built. It's literally the best aspect of Kyle Walters as a GM, he builds Canadian depth. How many other teams can lose 3 allstar Canadian players in one offseason and still come out totally fine for Canadians? I mean hell with Neufeld being injured the Bombers have all 3 of their Canadian offensive linemen who started last season missing and they haven't missed a beat. 

9 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I mean hell with Neufeld being injured the Bombers have all 3 of their Canadian offensive linemen who started last season missing and they haven't missed a beat. 

A bit of an exaggeration - they have had some struggles.  But I think those had more to do with Hardrick being hurt - the key to any OL are the tackle positions. 

10 hours ago, Ripper said:

Hecht is a starter on your team and you are laughing at our depth???

to be honest...Edem is not much better...dumb penalties and cheap hits...tries for the big whallop and misses more times than he hits and is not a good cover guy...basically the same as Hecht

t but Hecht doesn't take **** penalties like Edam....there is a reason he is on what his 4th team now with the Riders...it's not cause he was aggressively sought after

Both teams could do better

10 hours ago, Ripper said:

12 tackles and 2 ints, which happened in the same game and one was a deflected ball.. Edem has 31 tackles and 1 sack. No one in their right mind would switch Edem for Hecht. No one

so they don't count since in same game? Also safety tackles not necessary a indication of dominance or success..more a sign of ball carriers are getting through the dline (a severly overpaid one that you can't deny) and second level...

9 hours ago, Ripper said:

You are a huge Homer. Might be a news flash for you but the Bombers don't dominate every position and player and statistical category in the league

if you can't see that Winnipeg has better Canadian depth than Sask then you are a total Homer too...no...What Canadian starter...besides Edem (which you have stated already) would you switch if you could in a even swap..player for player?

What rotational guy or back-up would you do the same?..

Edited by Booch

I didn't think this thread would blow up into a **** storm like this. I actually have a tough time imagining people are so against Nichols being benched for a few games for Streveler. Maybe the team is coaching Nichols to play mega conservative, but, I just don't see the benefit Nichols brings anymore. If all Streveler does is throw check downs and rush for the occasional gain with his legs, he would open up Harris even more. I just don't see the downside here.

Edited by White Out

Just now, 17to85 said:

Streveler has shown that he gets picked off more frequently in his playing time this season. THAT is the downside, and to a team that tries to win by making less mistakes than their opponent that's the one thing you can't do.

Coach him to play like Nichols then, throw safe balls, check down, and scramble  away when there's nothing there.

Safe is death.

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Streveler has shown that he gets picked off more frequently in his playing time this season. THAT is the downside, and to a team that tries to win by making less mistakes than their opponent that's the one thing you can't do.

Sample size is tiny and one of this two picks was tipped. This isn’t nearly as big a problem as it’s made out to be. 

13 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

Sample size is tiny and one of this two picks was tipped. This isn’t nearly as big a problem as it’s made out to be. 

I am a Streveler fan and really hope we don't lose him this off-season... but he's a gunslinger and will throw INTs - it is a legit issue

That being said, we've never seen him get a chance in an offence designed for his skill set...  he's the one that can move the pocket and hit guys in stride 

4 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I am a Streveler fan and really hope we don't lose him this off-season... but he's a gunslinger and will throw INTs - it is a legit issue

That being said, we've never seen him get a chance in an offence designed for his skill set...  he's the one that can move the pocket and hit guys in stride 

I mean, even if he does throw more picks than Nichols it will almost certainly be because he actually pushes the ball downfield. Even the best QBs in the league throw picks occasionally. Sure, you don’t want it to become a regular occurrence but protecting the ball, while important, isn’t really a virtue when you aren’t moving the ball through the air anyway. This “he throws more picks” thing is the last resort argument for the Nichols still deserves to be the starter crowd. As if checking it down 12 times a game and getting two first downs in the second half is any better than throwing an occasional pick. 

It's a valid argument because of the mentality of this team. Don't turn the ball over on offense and generate some turnovers on defense and have better special teams than the other guys. That has been the formula for this team and it's not going to change without massive coaching changes. Best people just get used to that rather than trying to blame a quarterback for it and expecting anything different. 

The fundamental difference between our viewpoints is you believe that the strategy is in place because of the co-ordinator and is independent of the QB and I believe that the significant limitations of the QB influence the way the game is called significantly. We will never agree and no coach will ever confirm or deny it so all we can do is argue until both of us go nuts. 

11 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

The fundamental difference between our viewpoints is you believe that the strategy is in place because of the co-ordinator and is independent of the QB and I believe that the significant limitations of the QB influence the way the game is called significantly. We will never agree and no coach will ever confirm or deny it so all we can do is argue until both of us go nuts. 

But the coaches have basically confirmed it. if you really thought that they were unhappy with the play of the QB do you think he would have the leash he does? Do you think they wouldn't have changed the way the team plays? Would O'Shea constantly stress the importance of a "clean" game? 

We may have different viewpoints, but mine is based on legit observations, yours are based on what you want to see. 

Streveler will definitely throw more ints then Nichols no question about that.    It's hard to throw interceptions when you are either getting sacked or throwing a 4 yard checkdown pass.  

Khari Jones tossed a tonne of picks but that's part of being an aggressive QB.    

As long as the ints are at least 50/50 balls going down field I don't mind it.    When the interceptions are like the lame ducks that Pipkin throws while under pressure that is when it kills the team. 

19 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Khari Jones tossed a tonne of picks but that's part of being an aggressive QB.    

yes and that was almost 20 years ago, the standard for quarterbacking has changed. Khari Jones was also generally under 60% completions. These days that kind of completion  % just doesn't fly. The game has changed, qbs have to be more precise with the ball than they  used to be. 

16 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

But the coaches have basically confirmed it. if you really thought that they were unhappy with the play of the QB do you think he would have the leash he does? Do you think they wouldn't have changed the way the team plays? Would O'Shea constantly stress the importance of a "clean" game? 

We may have different viewpoints, but mine is based on legit observations, yours are based on what you want to see. 

You're anti-Lapo campaign clouds your vision sometimes ha...

Lapo does adapt his play calling and he leaves a lot up to the QB - Lapo used read option A LOT when Buck was here, I think he still would but Nichols mobility and happy feet doesn't allow for it on the same level

1 hour ago, AKAChip said:

The other was a pass that was the correct decision (the player he was throwing to was wide open) but he was hit while he was throwing the ball which caused him to underthrow his target.

BOTH of Strevelers INT's this season were at best 50% his fault (I'd actually argue in both cases he was less at fault than his O-Line for the interception)

It's time to hand the ball to Streveler.

On an incremental basis, in certain situations.  
As far as the first.....closing out games - MOS may have seen the light - Streveler behind center, enhances Harris's ability to find room in the A/B gaps.  Option plays can also be used in the mix.
Would also like to see Streveler running out of some of the hybrid formation sets and provide a total change of pace from Nichols, at certain points of the game.
It is also important to get Streveler enough reps, going forward.....so that we know, exactly what we have....as a potential starter, in future.

I have always been to some extent, a Nichols supporter.  But for the sake of the team - this O, would benefit from a judicious amount of Streveler reps, from here on in.

15 hours ago, Ripper said:

People are the starter for a reason, there isn't a backup rb in the league that could replace half of what Harris does, in fact most of the starters in the league couldn't replace him either. You are crazy if you think the loss of Harris wouldn't be huge and devastating to your team.  He is size and speed, if you don't get ready and respect his power he will run you over. If you get too low and try to take his legs out he will dance around you. If he hits open field he is gone and you can't catch him. Also most rb's don't have good hands, who is going to catch all the passes he gets or replace his blocking skills. For a starting running back right now in the cfl, at all facets of the game, there is no one better. 

Yup.  Harris is a stud, who in terms of everything he brings to the table, including attitude......would be almost impossible to replace.

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

yes and that was almost 20 years ago, the standard for quarterbacking has changed. Khari Jones was also generally under 60% completions. These days that kind of completion  % just doesn't fly. The game has changed, qbs have to be more precise with the ball than they  used to be. 

Ok what about Masoli and Reilly last season or Burris and Durant before that....    

15 hours ago, Ripper said:

12 tackles and 2 ints, which happened in the same game and one was a deflected ball.. Edem has 31 tackles and 1 sack. No one in their right mind would switch Edem for Hecht. No one

Tackles are not an indication of success at the safety spot. If any thing it trends in the opposite direction. 

Hecht has been very good this year. I was shocked he too the job over Jones but he has shown why on the field.