It's time to hand the ball to Streveler.

White Out

Just now, Nickthesizz said:

They've done that quite a bit this year as well.

No they really haven't. Streveler only really threw the ball during the Ottawa game when Nichols got hurt. He threw three times during the earlier TO game. That's pretty much it. 

He's come in during short yardage plays to get the first down but he runs straight off. Last year, they would hurry up the offence and he would play-action a few plays. 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Strev has really hardly had a chance to run the entire offence, let alone throw much..he's 9 of 13 for 82 yards..1 TD and 2 Picks..

And one has to wonder why given Nichols continued and extended struggle to find consistent play.  I'm kind of feeling that they obviously think Nichols is their best chance to win now if he's operating at his best.  We haven't seen his best in a long time.  Keeping him in there must be to protect his confidence because they know from experience he likely won't recover from getting the hook, even if it's for 3-4 series.

17 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

And one has to wonder why given Nichols continued and extended struggle to find consistent play.  I'm kind of feeling that they obviously think Nichols is their best chance to win now if he's operating at his best.  We haven't seen his best in a long time.  Keeping him in there must be to protect his confidence because they know from experience he likely won't recover from getting the hook, even if it's for 3-4 series.

Mos guys are very hard to unseat. We've seen a lot of guys who wouldn't start on other teams entrenched here for extended periods of time. 

Agree with the confidence. Once you up root a qb1 for qb2 it's tough for the best QBs to come back and get it going again.

4 hours ago, Brandon said:

I did not listen to Irving after the game,   did he have someone else with him like Doug Brown?  Usually Doug or back in the day Mitch would call it as it is while Irving would be neutral.

I don't blame Irving for not jumping on the bandwagon,   CJOB desperately needs the Bombers and it would be awkward if he shitted on the team and then have to deal with O'Shea afterwards.    I think Irving still has the bad memories of trying to run a show with an un-cooperative coach (Kelly).   I don't fault Irving for defending the team.   

Nichols falling two yards short of the first down,   I don't blame Matt at all.   The guy is fragile and I'd rather him take the quick slide then trying to muscle it in only to get hurt.   Streveler is a bull,  Nichols is a porcelain doll.   Made sense to me. 

Also Bull crap on Lapo not calling mid range plays.... watch the game receivers are running mid range routes... it's just that if the first read isn't open,  Nichols gets instantly scared and checks down or turtles up.  

When Streveler played last season he found guys mid range all day long.  His mechanics may be off and throws may have more risk but he was able to rifle it down 15 yards with no problems.    

Next week *should* be a free week for tinkering around and trying new things against BC.   Can't keep doing the same it isn't working. 

Wanna bet?

I have no problem letting Nichols start in spite of my lack of trust in him, but if he is not producing, then we damned well better have a plan B and then play him. Given that Nichols is probably going to get dinged up at some point this season, we need to find out if we have a viable alternative in Streveler  or even McGuire. If we don't, our scouting staff had better start beating the bushes.

1 hour ago, Nickthesizz said:

I recall Lapo saying Nichols is one of the best QBs he's ever coached a couple weeks ago. Sounds like I know the person who needs to go.

Well...Khari, Durant....Nichols is probably top 3 for sure.  The rest are basically garbage and Buck Pierce held together by duct tape.

On 2019-08-09 at 6:00 PM, rebusrankin said:

First 5 games: 1150 yards passing (230 a game) 12 td passes, 1 interception, 9.1 yards per pass attempt

Last three games: 607 yards passing (202 a game) 2 td passes, 3 interceptions, 6 yards per pass attempt.

Injury? Game Plan? Better defences faced? Something changed.

Injuries

On 2019-08-09 at 12:23 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Here's the thing. It'll never happen.  You know it. I know it. We all know it. This coaching staff will not change out Nichols for Streveler

except that that's exactly what happened in 2016 when Nichols became QB1

O'Shea's patience seems long but not infinite.  Both Willy and Hajrullahu got ample opportunities to work out their issues but when they didn't, they were replaced suddenly and permanently. 

4 minutes ago, johnzo said:

O'Shea's patience seems long but not infinite.  Both Willy and Hajrullahu got ample opportunities to work out their issues but when they didn't, they were replaced suddenly and permanently. 

That's a fair point but the team around Willy was significantly worse than the team around Nichols. Winning has a way of absolving poor play. Problem arises when it's not sustainable and the warning signs are ignored.

14 minutes ago, johnzo said:

But long after it was obvious that they were not the answers.