It's time to hand the ball to Streveler.

White Out

7 hours ago, AKAChip said:

How many career snaps does Streveler have that you’re making this very decisive statement? Unlike “Matty” who is clearly a virtuoso in the pocket?

I'm not saying I agree with the statement you quoted, but Streveler has what 4 or 5 Starts under his belt. Its not like they haven't see what he can do. 

"If Grant doesnt score, we lose" is such a bullshit ***** ass statement. If Grant doesnt score, the O comes out....in the 1st half. You're right, theres no history of the O putting up points in the first half of games.

If's ands or Buts dont mean ****. What happened happened. Gtf over it.

I will never claim to be an expert but these are the things I noticed.

27/49 offensive plays to Harris. Not what I'd call a balanced offense.

Second Down conversions not made when needed.

Desire to drive the ball and score seems to be missing. I don't know if it's Lapo or Nichols but if we are going to win much this year that needs to change.

Defense saved our asses with 2 key interceptions.

Special Teams scored all our points.

Defense and Offense both need to step it up. Not sure Streveler is the answer but O needs to be able to move the ball and score when they need too.

I feel for anyone that picked any of our offensive players for Lock of the Week... 

8 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

He threw a lousy ball to Matthews, that one is on #15. Same with the throw to Woli when we needed a 1st down.Let's just say his play is not inspiring confidence.

8 hours ago, Doublezero said:

Correct. It was a good play by the Calgary defender, not a drop by Matthews.

I don't agree with you about Streveler though, he just needs more game speed reps running the full offensive package to show what he can do. He's got a strong arm and can throw on the run.

Nichols puts that ball over the left shoulder of Matthews he has body position and pulls it it....as it was..on wrong side and DB was able to get hands inside and disrupt the catch...why we don't take 3-4 shots like that to Matthews is baffling and is on Lapo....he makes 90% of those catches and it would loosen up defenses to allow guys like Lucky and Demski to grab crossing and slant routes in stride and most likely with a defender in trail position..I like our odds with any defender in trail position on Lucky...Grant too would be nice to see in rotation with Lawler

10 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Having to close the game out with streveler was sad. Worse was watching a green qb March down field and do what Nichols has been failing to do late in the game. 

Everyone knew the Bombers were going to be running the ball to kill the clock. If they leave Nichols in then the Stamps are going to key on Harris as we all know Nichols doesn't run a lot. With Streveler's running ability they weren't able to key on Harris. It made sense to put Streveler in under those circumstances. Nichols did come back in to finish the game.

1 minute ago, Booch said:

exactly...smart coaching...and this should be used more often in situations in the red zone...not just to close out a game...we do that on the one drive where we settled for a field goal...we score

Nichols running the draw, down there.... instead of Strev.....has tricky Lapo written all over it.  

34 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

The difference between Streveler and Nichols is that Streveler throws more ints and I stead of hitting the check downs runs with the ball. 

Our passing game is limited by the coordinator not the quarterbacks. God willing some team gets stupid and hires lapo as a head coach next season.

LaPo builds his offenses with a lot of check downs, but it is Nichols that shows a willingness to hit them so frequently and so quickly. Every coach and player worries about turnovers. The goal should be to strike the right balance between aggressive and careless. 

29 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

"If Grant doesnt score, we lose" is such a bullshit ***** ass statement. If Grant doesnt score, the O comes out....in the 1st half. You're right, theres no history of the O putting up points in the first half of games.

I'm usually the optimistic type but honestly, if we gave the ball to our offense in either of those situations I would have no confidence in their ability to score.

16 minutes ago, do or die said:

Nichols running the draw, down there.... instead of Strev.....has tricky Lapo written all over it.  

To be fair... Nichols has ran 7 times this year and averaged 5.1 yards per carry.  The Nichols "nobody expects a turtle to run" draw play has been effective all year long (the non-score was probably the worst showing of the play yet.

26 minutes ago, Captain Blue said:

LaPo builds his offenses with a lot of check downs, but it is Nichols that shows a willingness to hit them so frequently and so quickly. Every coach and player worries about turnovers. The goal should be to strike the right balance between aggressive and careless. 

The hand full of people with Nichols glasses keep saying it's LaPo's designed offense....    the last time I saw a QB who lived on dink and dunk was Ricky Ray and he didn't have troubles distributing the ball and passing for over 200 yards.  

Bottom line after that poor offensive showing is something has to change...We're going nowhere in the playoffs with that performance...I really think it's time for our illustrious OC to put in plays for a tandem....When Matt is going into wilt mode, throw in a change of pace...and on a regular basis...Keeps the opposition guessing ...This offence has too many weapons that are not being used properly....Time to do a little experimenting when the Leo's come to town...Good place to start

Edited by Stickem

When you have the best record in the league, it is not time to hand the ball to your backup quarterback.  When you just beat the defending champions in a game that determines who will have the best record in the West after this week, it is not time to hand the ball to your backup quarterback.

That being said, I remember looking at Saskatchewan's offensive stats before the West semi-final last year and realized how smoke and mirrors their record was.  I'm afraid I'm starting to feel that way about the Bombers - this is Swaggerville without the swagger, but it's early August.

Nichols aggravates me as often as he impresses me and I feel the same way about Lapo, but there is time to make adjustments in the play calling and to do more film work.  Nichols is not incapable of throwing a good ball and Lapolice is not incapable of calling a good game.

As long as we're winning twice or three more times than we're losing, we'd be stupid to do anything drastic.  

There's time for incremental improvements on the offense and as long as the Bombers keep winning, time is on our side.

It's a moot discussion. Given the team is likely soon to be 7 - 2, O'Shea is not pulling Nichols. Streveler is only getting in for extended time if Nichols gets injured. Plus, he likes Nichols.

This all gets revisited in January 2020 when the Bombers can walk away from Nichols $455K per year without a cap hit. Plus, Nichols will likely be looking for an extension and a raise for the following year. A lot depends on how we finish, but from a cap management perspective, Walters has to consider if he can replace or upgrade at the QB position for less salary. I cringe thinking of paying Nichols more than his current salary. Rather go with Streveler or Arbuckle or unnamed youngster for $300K or so per year. 

9 hours ago, AKAChip said:

It’s impossible to say that Streveler isn’t as good a passer as Nichols. Maybe he is, maybe he isn’t.  And if Nichols is checking down 15 times a game, it doesn’t matter if he’s Patrick Mahomes. 

If Streveler is checking down to Harris all game like Nichols does he's as good a passer as Nichols is. How hard is a 5 yard pass? Streveler's instant value is that he is quick and can run the ball with speed and power. Something Nichols simply can't do. You could see Calgary's defense shuffling and adjusting, not quite sure of what to do with Streveler. He creates havoc on opposing defenses.

Anyone that listened to the call-in show on cjob knows that the fans are done with Nichols. Irving slobbering all over himself trying to defend Nichols is getting nauseating. This team is carrying Nichols along for the ride. He's a weak link in the chain. Streveler, raw as he is, is a much stronger link. The whole offense seems energized whenever Streveler comes in. As soon as Nichols returns you can feel the team sag. Irving keeps referring to stuff Nichols did years ago. Yes he has a winning record but that's because of the team around him, not him. Yes he engineered a few late drives a couple of years ago but this is a what have you done for me lately business.

Let's be honest, weren't we all expecting a late FG by Calgary to lose once again after Nichols failed to get a few first downs when needed? I was. Thank god for Rose's INT. 

8 minutes ago, J5V said:

If Streveler is checking down to Harris all game like Nichols does he's as good a passer as Nichols is. How hard is a 5 yard pass? Streveler's instant value is that he is quick and can run the ball with speed and power. Something Nichols simply can't do. You could see Calgary's defense shuffling and adjusting, not quite sure of what to do with Streveler. He creates havoc on opposing defenses.

Anyone that listened to the call-in show on cjob knows that the fans are done with Nichols. Irving slobbering all over himself trying to defend Nichols is getting nauseating. This team is carrying Nichols along for the ride. He's a weak link in the chain. Streveler, raw as he is, is a much stronger link. The whole offense seems energized whenever Streveler comes in. As soon as Nichols returns you can feel the team sag. Irving keeps referring to stuff Nichols did years ago. Yes he has a winning record but that's because of the team around him, not him. Yes he engineered a few late drives a couple of years ago but this is a what have you done for me lately business.

Let's be honest, weren't we all expecting a late FG by Calgary to lose once again after Nichols failed to get a few first downs when needed? I was. Thank god for Rose's INT. 

Bob Irving was ridiculous on the call in show last night.  

3 minutes ago, J5V said:

Anyone that listened to the call-in show on cjob knows that the fans are done with Nichols.

3 minutes ago, J5V said:

The whole offense seems energized whenever Streveler comes in. As soon as Nichols returns you can feel the team sag.. 

Heaven help us if the Bombers manage/coach according to CJOB callers' whims.  Most of them were probably drunk.

The second comment is pure speculation, but since we're speculating - I've seen Nichols grimacing more than a few times on camera-closeups after a play he doesn't even get contacted on.  Not sure he's at 100% physically.

I've got issues with Nichols, but now isn't the time for upheaval.

1 hour ago, BomberfanMKS said:

To be fair... Nichols has ran 7 times this year and averaged 5.1 yards per carry.  The Nichols "nobody expects a turtle to run" draw play has been effective all year long (the non-score was probably the worst showing of the play yet.

It had already failed last night on the failed 2nd down conversion when he turtles 2 yards short of the marker. He’s missing the fire in his belly to do what it takes. 

3 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

Let’s not forget that Edmonton was 5-2 with Matt Nichols and still benched him for James Franklin. 

OMG, is it possible that Maas is a better coach that O’sh? Or was it Jones still then?

Are we truly asking our organization to be more like one run by CJ? 

Oh F$&@ are we in a bad state of fandom right now. 

Going to to go take a breathe and remind myself that we did win...

13 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Bob Irving was ridiculous on the call in show last night.  

Ha! He's excellent at game play by play. Truly one of the best ever. But, his tweets and call in show comments at times are drifting into "you kids get out of my yard!" range. Plus, I think to ensure O'Shea keeps coming back on his show he can't take a position too contrary to the head coach. Thus the Nichols love fest. 

4 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

Ha! He's excellent at game play by play. Truly one of the best ever. But, his tweets and call in show comments at times are drifting into "you kids get out of my yard!" range. Plus, I think to ensure O'Shea keeps coming back on his show he can't take a position too contrary to the head coach. Thus the Nichols love fest. 

Now please try to defend the average person who calls the post-game show on CJOB.  Or calls any show on CJOB.

3 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Now please try to defend the average person who calls the post-game show on CJOB.  Or calls any show on CJOB.

I can't defend anyone who calls into any radio show. Apologies to anyone on this board who does, but my tolerance level for listening to fans rambling questions/comments on radio is about 3 minutes.  And they usually take that long to get to their "question". So, yes, it's not easy for Bob Irving to deal with.