It's time to hand the ball to Streveler.

White Out

2 minutes ago, Dodge and Burn said:

Strev had very much shown he cant step back and deliver the ball consistently down field.  

How many career snaps does Streveler have that you’re making this very decisive statement? Unlike “Matty” who is clearly a virtuoso in the pocket?

1 minute ago, Dr. Blue said:

They didn't take Nichols out because he sucks, they put Streveler in because he's a threat to run with the ball. EVERYBODY knew we were going to run the ball, the D has to respect Streveler's ability to run the ball and can't focus solely on Harris.

I don’t doubt that much of this is true and it sucks because there are more and more reasons every game to give Streveler some more meaningful reps but the point still remains that Nichols flopped AGAIN late in a close game when he had a chance to close it out and the offence absolutely needed first downs to close it out and the ball was given to Streveler. Perhaps it’s wishful thinking on my part. 

5 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

How many career snaps does Streveler have that you’re making this very decisive statement? Unlike “Matty” who is clearly a virtuoso in the pocket?

At this point I'll take Streveler and his "potential" complete with the mistakes over Matt and his inability to play 4 solid quarters.   

10 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

Well, #17s mechanics are horid, does not set his feet when he throws, throws off his back foot, and as far as reading a defense, that is up to debate.  Aint really starting material if you ask me. 

Anyways im gonna enjoy another TEAM win. 

Peace. 

Edited by Dodge and Burn

Here’s the reality with Nichols ... he had a better than average (for him) night and tossed up three balls that were good looking - one to Lawler for a nice little gain, one to Woli that was just not executed and one to Matthews that the CGY DB made a good play on.

Rest of the game? Safe garbage. So predictable. Not scaring anyone. Not stomp on your throat, smash mouth, prove you can stop us, not nothing. Equal parts LaPolice and Nichols go into the conversation of why our O is so inept, but no matter what blame you wanna place where, the reality is our offense sucks.

Matthews didn’t forget how to play wideout, Lucky Whitehead hasn’t suddenly just forgotten how to be a weapon ... etc, etc, etc. We don’t use our weapons. If Grant doesn’t put two in the end zone tonight, we lose handily. Our O has been **** for a minimum of three games and the combo of play calling / QB play is showing absolutely zero signs of improvement. We may finish 13-5 but this year is not going to be a Grey Cup year.

as an aside, I always find it funny that people will crap on Willie Jefferson and justify it by singling out the odd notable play here and there when he isn’t elite but they’ll turn a blind eye to how atrociously mediocre Nichols is.

25 minutes ago, Dr. Blue said:

They didn't take Nichols out because he sucks, they put Streveler in because he's a threat to run with the ball. EVERYBODY knew we were going to run the ball, the D has to respect Streveler's ability to run the ball and can't focus solely on Harris.

...and when it works, like it did, it is a brilliant strategy to close out the game.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

11 minutes ago, Mike said:

Here’s the reality with Nichols ... he had a better than average (for him) night and tossed up three balls that were good looking - one to Lawler for a nice little gain, one to Woli that was just not executed and one to Matthews that the CGY DB made a good play on.

Rest of the game? Safe garbage. So predictable. Not scaring anyone. Not stomp on your throat, smash mouth, prove you can stop us, not nothing. Equal parts LaPolice and Nichols go into the conversation of why our O is so inept, but no matter what blame you wanna place where, the reality is our offense sucks.

Matthews didn’t forget how to play wideout, Lucky Whitehead hasn’t suddenly just forgotten how to be a weapon ... etc, etc, etc. We don’t use our weapons. If Grant doesn’t put two in the end zone tonight, we lose handily. Our O has been **** for a minimum of three games and the combo of play calling / QB play is showing absolutely zero signs of improvement. We may finish 13-5 but this year is not going to be a Grey Cup year.

as an aside, I always find it funny that people will crap on Willie Jefferson and justify it by singling out the odd notable play here and there when he isn’t elite but they’ll turn a blind eye to how atrociously mediocre Nichols is.

We dont have any qb that is gonna stomp on any defenses throat, or consistently throw down field and convert on second and long.  

We can smash the ball as good as anyone though. 

We have won cups with shitty production on offense in the past.  Why not this year? 

48 minutes ago, Dodge and Burn said:

We dont have any qb that is gonna stomp on any defenses throat, or consistently throw down field and convert on second and long.  

We can smash the ball as good as anyone though. 

We have won cups with shitty production on offense in the past.  Why not this year? 

We don't need stomp on the throat firstly. We need a qb that can keep the chains moving and get first downs late in games to close. 

We could the last couple years too look how that ended.

Football is not remotely the same as that era. With modern offenses and pi you slow them down you can't simply deny a good offense any more. Modern defenses mitigate damage and force turn overs.

45 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Until we start losing. Same old story, the backup qb is the most popular player on the team.

Yeah. Qb carousels are the quickest way to destabilize a team. A lateral move to change starting QBs won't fix our offense. Itd have to be a trade and a big swing for the fences.

But I don't see the mafia doing any of that.

18 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

We don't need stomp on the throat firstly. We need a qb that can keep the chains moving and get first downs late in games to close. 

We could the last couple years too look how that ended.

Football is not remotely the same as that era. With modern offenses and pi you slow them down you can't simply deny a good offense any more. Modern defenses mitigate damage and force turn overs.

Yeah. Qb carousels are the quickest way to destabilize a team. A lateral move to change starting QBs won't fix our offense. Itd have to be a trade and a big swing for the fences.

But I don't see the mafia doing any of that.

Nope.I don't sense there'll be a change at the qb position like a trade. Miller, Walter & O'Shea are like triplets. They think & act alike. They'll stick with status quo. I wouldn't be surprised if Matt is given a new contract. That is the reality of the situation. A lot of fans here wanted stability & now they sure have it.

16 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Nope.I don't sense there'll be a change at the qb position like a trade. Miller, Walter & O'Shea are like triplets. They think & act alike. They'll stick with status quo. I wouldn't be surprised if Matt is given a new contract. That is the reality of the situation. A lot of fans here wanted stability & now they sure have it.

Yeah I don't see any thing happening.

We don't have stability, from good production, to frequent turn overs to in ability to do more then check down. 

What's scary consistent though is he can not throw on Calgary. 

This has nothing to do with QBs and everything to do with LaPolice.  We don't make good adjustments at halftime.  We don't try to win the games, we hold on to try and not lose the games.

These are our 2nd half points for the last 5 games against TOR-OTT-HAM-TOR-CGY.  We aren't scoring in the 2nd half.

Some is due to fumbles, being stopped at the goal line, etc.  But as a team, we need to have the strong close out mentality and the offence needs to put some of these games in the bag.

5 hours ago, Mike said:

And the one to Lawler and another to Matthews were the only balls thrown and completed between 10-20 yards downfield.

We have a total lack of medium passing game which is where Nichols used to live.  He’s compromised physically or mentally, and we are just way too easy to defend.

Streveler obviously brings a lot to the running game but in his starts aside from the Hamilton game where Lapo really put the chains on showed real good ability to hit those 10-20 yard passes.

It’s time to install a game plan for Streveler.  At this point Nichols should not even require practice reps.  If we need him we can go back to him easy, give Streveler at least a half with a game plan tailored to him and the rest of our weapons.

5 minutes ago, ALuCsRED said:

This has nothing to do with QBs and everything to do with LaPolice.  We don't make good adjustments at halftime.  We don't try to win the games, we hold on to try and not lose the games.

These are our 2nd half points for the last 5 games against TOR-OTT-HAM-TOR-CGY.  We aren't scoring in the 2nd half.

Some is due to fumbles, being stopped at the goal line, etc.  But as a team, we need to have the strong close out mentality and the offence needs to put some of these games in the bag.

Really 3 last night because the other 3 they started well into field goal range off the punt cover fumble recovery.  And the 3 I’m counting was a 55 yard field goal too!

Not a Nichols lover in any way. But he didnt do anything to lose the game last night. He was his normal self and played the calls given to him and or checked down. We shouldn't be surprised with this. But throwing Strev in you will see very much the same. Although I think Strev is a mad man and will run at will risking the fumble and toss up easy picks. I really dont blame everyrhing on Nichols. There is more to the poor offensive outing than just him. I honestly dont think any QB coming into this offence is going to have much more success than Nichols is. Maybe they will have the flashy 400 yards passing on 40 attempts with 2 picks and a loss. We will never no. I do know that no team in their right minds will pull a starting QB while sitting top of the league at 6-2. Love em or hate em Nichols is behind center for the foreseeable future.

Until Nichols either starts pushing the ball downfield or is replaced, this team is always going to be good but not great. He sure looks content hitting his short throws and check downs. 

Plenty of other teams are using backup quarterbacks and/or have less offensive weapons than Winnipeg, but are still able to find more passing success than the Bombers. LaPolice should be getting blamed too, because the offense seems to be more conservative every game. 

7 hours ago, AKAChip said:

This team has a ton of talent everywhere except QB. No team in football history is built so that special teams win it for you. You can’t account for one special teams TD in a game let alone two. This team loses miserably without those two TDs, unless you suggest that Nichols marches the team for a TD on both occasions. 

I think the concept that this team is built so that ST wins the game for you is ridiculous but even if we accept that as true, there’s only one reason why a team with this much talent would want to rely on teams rather than offence to win the game for them. I’ll let you guess what that might be. 

It's not about getting return td when I say this team is built for special teams to win for them. It's about field position and kicking field goals from midfield on in. Look at the games this team wins and tell me I am wrong. 

28 minutes ago, Captain Blue said:

Until Nichols either starts pushing the ball downfield or is replaced, this team is always going to be good but not great. He sure looks content hitting his short throws and check downs. 

Plenty of other teams are using backup quarterbacks and/or have less offensive weapons than Winnipeg, but are still able to find more passing success than the Bombers. LaPolice should be getting blamed too, because the offense seems to be more conservative every game. 

The difference between Streveler and Nichols is that Streveler throws more ints and I stead of hitting the check downs runs with the ball. 

Our passing game is limited by the coordinator not the quarterbacks. God willing some team gets stupid and hires lapo as a head coach next season.