It's time to hand the ball to Streveler.

White Out

40 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Honestly I'd rather they trade Nichols and a 1st rounder to BC for Reilly and then cut Reilly at the end of the season.   Make one push for the grey cup and move on with Strev and McGuire next season.

More likely scenarios though...

Keep Nichols as starter and ride him for the season...

Give Nichols two more starts and if the output is the same ... game three they start Streveler. 

Tandem the QB's giving them split time.... doubt that they will do this though.

Agree with all of that. I'd add possibly going after another teams young back up to the list of options.

If you are going to pull nichols for a game id deal him right away. Too fragile to go back to starting for us. Maybe MTL will over pay.

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah but I was talking to Noeller when that late drive was about to happen, we laughed about 2 handoffs to Harris and a punt, we got the one handoff, and yes that throw was a poor throw, but he made good throws the rest of the night. Look at the entirety of the game without your i hate Nichols goggles on and you will see that he was fine. He played the game this team has played for years. The reason this was a close game was entirely because of the defense going pants on head ******** for long stretches of the game. NIchols wasn't amazing, but he managed the game fine. The D was OK at times but complete dog **** at others. 

Look, I’m far from the only one who saw this from Nichols today. And last week. And the week before. You can’t win with a QB that panics so horribly under pressure. Tonight he panicked when there was no pressure! Sometimes the circus just leaves town for a guy and we’re seeing that in real time with Nichols. The D wasn’t amazing today but it was fine. They survived a short field after the fumbled punt and allowed two TD drives only. We can live with that performance. 

And believe me, if there was even the tiniest chance O’Shea or Lapo thought Nichols could get them a couple first downs on the last drive to end the game, they would have kept him in. 

Edited by AKAChip

Hey I'll call Nichols games against Hamilton and Toronto poor, but he was much better tonight. The D in the first half was horrible though, and they gave up another late TD drive without much resistance. 

Just look at the big picture rather than focussing on why Nichols sucks and you'll see. 

1 minute ago, AKAChip said:

I wish you held Nichols to the same standard you hold the defence to. 

I hold them both to the same standard. I just don't lambaste Nichols for not having gaudy stats when he doesn't get on the field much in the first half. Like I said, time of possession says we moved the ball some, the completion % says Nichols was making some good throws. 

Perhaps the problem here is you want an Edmonton Eskimoes with Mike Reilly style offense and I judge the Bombers based on the super conservative Paul Lapolice offense that I know we have.

Bigger picture. 3 games in a row with below avg qb play.. No interceptions tho but soon teams will know the checkdown is coming and that's the problem. 33 minutes time of possession.. 16 first downs.. 180 ish passing. Less than 300 total 0 again. 

Lapo isnt calling 14 checkdowns a game. That's on Nichols. 

Edited by Goalie

Nichols and his situation reminds of Denzel Washington's character in Remember The Titans, one loss and hes fired. 

The anti Nichols fans at this point are rabid. 

Matt did not shoot the lights out, not even close. But hes still our best option.  

Strevs aint even close to being ready to lead our offense through a whole game. 

Hes a bit player, any who think he s ready for prime time are dreaming instead of seeing. 

Edited by Dodge and Burn

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

I hold them both to the same standard. I just don't lambaste Nichols for not having gaudy stats when he doesn't get on the field much in the first half. Like I said, time of possession says we moved the ball some, the completion % says Nichols was making some good throws. 

Perhaps the problem here is you want an Edmonton Eskimoes with Mike Reilly style offense and I judge the Bombers based on the super conservative Paul Lapolice offense that I know we have.

Lapo may be conservative but it’s never been quite this bad. I know you’ve been asked this before but do you honestly believe he’s calling upwards of 10 checkdowns a game? Nichols was hardly under pressure in this game, is the call wait for three seconds and then pass to Harris? I don’t expect you to see things how I see them. I admit I have no expectations of Nichols and I don’t like him as a player. Am I biased? Probably. But your bias against Lapo skews your opinion of Nichols just as much. 

I just can’t get behind the argument that the completion percentage indicates Nichols was “good enough”. Of course he had some good throws today. Some of the intermediate throws to Lawler were very good and the deep ball to Wolitarsky was a beautifully thrown ball. But his decision making and accuracy down the stretch was horrid. Forgive me for not being satisfied with just barely scraping by with a victory in a game where we scored two punt return touchdowns. And even then, Nichols needed to be pulled to close the game out. 

9 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

Look, I’m far from the only one who saw this from Nichols today. And last week. And the week before. You can’t win with a QB that panics so horribly under pressure. Tonight he panicked when there was no pressure! Sometimes the circus just leaves town for a guy and we’re seeing that in real time with Nichols. The D wasn’t amazing today but it was fine. They survived a short field after the fumbled punt and allowed two TD drives only. We can live with that performance. 

And believe me, if there was even the tiniest chance O’Shea or Lapo thought Nichols could get them a couple first downs on the last drive to end the game, they would have kept him in. 

How exactly do you see Strev succeeding beyond what Matty is doing? Yards passing? Points scored? TOP? First downs? 

Will he change what Lapo calls?

8 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Hey I'll call Nichols games against Hamilton and Toronto poor, but he was much better tonight. The D in the first half was horrible though, and they gave up another late TD drive without much resistance. 

Just look at the big picture rather than focussing on why Nichols sucks and you'll see. 

Arbuckle was tremendous on both TD drives. I know it’s been a long time since we’ve seen a QB take control of the offence like Arbuckle did there but sometimes QBs make great plays. There was one throw to Rogers on a drag route from Arbuckle that I’ve never seen Nichols make in 4 years. 

1 minute ago, Dodge and Burn said:

How exactly do you see Strev succeeding beyond what Matty is doing? Yards passing? Points scored? TOP? First downs? 

Will he change what Lapo calls?

I would hope so because using the Nichols playbook with Streveler would be beyond insanity. 

And yes, I see him besting “Matty” at all those metrics. And maybe they’ll actually move the ball in the second half every couple of games. Bare minimum it will be watchable, entertaining football. 

3 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

Arbuckle was tremendous on both TD drives. I know it’s been a long time since we’ve seen a QB take control of the offence like Arbuckle did there but sometimes QBs make great plays. There was one throw to Rogers on a drag route from Arbuckle that I’ve never seen Nichols make in 4 years. 

because lapo doesn't call those plays. Ever. 

Just now, 17to85 said:

because lapo doesn't call those plays. Ever. 

It appears we’re at an impasse. I fully appreciate Lapo’s limitations as a playcaller. The marriage of Lapo and Nichols is one from hell that I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy. But it’s very easy to say it’s Lapo and not Nichols when we haven’t seen this offence run through anyone else since game 3 of last season. 

It's like people don't stop and look at what this team is built to do... they are the "trap" team. Play safe both ways. Don't give up big plays on D and don't turn the ball over on O. This team is built to let special teams win the game for them. Why are we shocked when they are coached that way? That means check downs and punts from the offense and bend without hopefully breaking by the D. 

Stop expecting the kind of team you want and see what kind of team we actually have, especially with the coordinators we have. You will be a lot less upset in the long run. Just accept this team will always be in close games. 

This team has a ton of talent everywhere except QB. No team in football history is built so that special teams win it for you. You can’t account for one special teams TD in a game let alone two. This team loses miserably without those two TDs, unless you suggest that Nichols marches the team for a TD on both occasions. 

I think the concept that this team is built so that ST wins the game for you is ridiculous but even if we accept that as true, there’s only one reason why a team with this much talent would want to rely on teams rather than offence to win the game for them. I’ll let you guess what that might be. 

11 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

I would hope so because using the Nichols playbook with Streveler would be beyond insanity. 

And yes, I see him besting “Matty” at all those metrics. And maybe they’ll actually move the ball in the second half every couple of games. Bare minimum it will be watchable, entertaining football. 

Sorry to tell you but Strev has the same playbook as Matty. 

Sure he has his bit plays in certain situations but you cant rely on that for 4 quarters. 

What has Strev shown that he can huck it 20 plus times a game and be successful? Something beyond it being "insane" 

LOl at 17 trying his best to stomp out the fires around Nichols.  He was craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap tonight.    First half time of possession was nearly even,  the punt return excuse is BS because Calgary had several 2 and outs in the first quarter.   

Only 10 passes caught by receivers is ridiculous.   

If not for the punt returns we lose that game and a rookie qb out shines a 9 year vet.   

Going forward if we lose Harris to injury then the season is over and we are faaaaaaaaccccked.   

15 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

It's like people don't stop and look at what this team is built to do... they are the "trap" team. Play safe both ways. Don't give up big plays on D and don't turn the ball over on O. This team is built to let special teams win the game for them. Why are we shocked when they are coached that way? That means check downs and punts from the offense and bend without hopefully breaking by the D. 

Stop expecting the kind of team you want and see what kind of team we actually have, especially with the coordinators we have. You will be a lot less upset in the long run. Just accept this team will always be in close games. 

Winning aint enough for some people I guess?

1 minute ago, Dodge and Burn said:

Sorry to tell you but Strev has the same playbook as Matty. 

Sure he has his bit plays in certain situations but you cant rely on that for 4 quarters. 

What has Strev shown that he can huck it 20 plus times a game and be successful? Something beyond it being "insane" 

1. No, he doesn’t. 

2. I agree that gadget plays don’t work for an entire game but to pigeon-hole him into that is unfair when most of his reps since early last season have been short yardage and end game reps. And he looked not out of place in three early season starts straight out of college last season when he was given a chance to be a QB and not just a gadget guy. At the very least, he moves the ball and the team undeniably seems to get a jump from him being in the game. 

3. Mostly see point two but I’d ask when hasn’t he shown he can do it? It’s not like Nichols is having even remote success throwing 20 times a game. Did the Stamps know what Arbuckle was capable of before he was pressed into duty? Again, not saying Streveler is the answer. That’s never been my rhetoric. Just that Nichols has been so bad that it’s hard to find a reason not to give the guy a chance. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

It's simple. He didn't. The reality has been for a long time that we done put wrs in positions to make plays. We spray and pray. 

Quoted for truth. This is not a receiver friendly offence as far as expecting an elite receiver to put up elite receiver numbers. The offence is based on short/intermediate low risk passing, and distribution among all targets on the field.

6 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

1. No, he doesn’t. 

2. I agree that gadget plays don’t work for an entire game but to pigeon-hole him into that is unfair when most of his reps since early last season have been short yardage and end game reps. And he looked not out of place in three early season starts straight out of college last season when he was given a chance to be a QB and not just a gadget guy. At the very least, he moves the ball and the team undeniably seems to get a jump from him being in the game. 

3. Mostly see point two but I’d ask when hasn’t he shown he can do it? It’s not like Nichols is having even remote success throwing 20 times a game. Did the Stamps know what Arbuckle was capable of before he was pressed into duty? Again, not saying Streveler is the answer. That’s never been my rhetoric. Just that Nichols has been so bad that it’s hard to find a reason not to give the guy a chance. 

Strev had very much shown he cant step back and deliver the ball consistently down field.  

38 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

They didn't take Nichols out because he sucks, they put Streveler in because he's a threat to run with the ball. EVERYBODY knew we were going to run the ball, the D has to respect Streveler's ability to run the ball and can't focus solely on Harris.