Pregame talk: Patriots North come to town

White Out

2 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Would anybody else actually like to know what the heck is up with Neufeld? How about anything on Jeffcoat?

Top secret (tm)

1 minute ago, Tracker said:

Apparently Jeffcoat is iffy for the Stamps game. 

JJ hasn't practiced all week, so there's no chance he's playing vs Calgary, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if all of a sudden he's 6-gamed tomorrow when the depth chart is released. They never tell anything straight, when it comes to injuries...

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

JJ hasn't practiced all week, so there's no chance he's playing vs Calgary, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if all of a sudden he's 6-gamed tomorrow when the depth chart is released. They never tell anything straight, when it comes to injuries...

I think Kongbo is more than capable/ready to fill in there. Dude is a hell of specimen. Almost have a man crush.....

35 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Dickenson is toying with starting Mitchell. He's back at practice. Arbuckle has an elbow injury.

I actually hope that Arbuckle plays and plays well. If Arbuckle plays and shines, and Nichols pales in comparison, there can be no argument any longer about Nichols' fate. If Mitchell plays and beats the Bombers, there will be the excuse about how great the Stamps are with their #1 QB back. 

27 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I actually hope that Arbuckle plays and plays well. If Arbuckle plays and shines, and Nichols pales in comparison, there can be no argument any longer about Nichols' fate. If Mitchell plays and beats the Bombers, there will be the excuse about how great the Stamps are with their #1 QB back. 

The Stamps are vulnerable at the RT position. Jeffcoat  could have a big game. Kasistati is terrible. He whiffed his block & Arbuckle injured his elbow.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

Lapo already preparing the excuse that Calgary's D is so very good. He's hoping we can score 1 more point than Calgary. He also said last week the Argos didn't make any mistakes on D and played really great and that it's professional football and anyone can beat you. When pressed about losing to the hapless Argos he said he blamed himself and he hopes the players blame themselves. He said from the 12 minute mark of the 4th quarter we only had 4 plays so how could he have run Andrew Harris when we had the ball so little? One series was a 2 and out and the other was a play to Harris and an incompletion. To me, that's like saying, we sucked because we couldn't stay on the field, because we couldn't get first downs, because we suck, because we couldn't get first downs, because we couldn't stay on the field, because we suck.

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

So then if Nichols goes out and has a good game there can no longer be any argument about Nichols place? I somehow think that even if he goes off and has a big game you and your ilk would just wait in the weeds for the first bit of trouble to appear and pounce again. 

There is literally nothing Nichols can do to appease some people because at the first slip up they will be back on him. 

23 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

So then if Nichols goes out and has a good game there can no longer be any argument about Nichols place? I somehow think that even if he goes off and has a big game you and your ilk would just wait in the weeds for the first bit of trouble to appear and pounce again. 

There is literally nothing Nichols can do to appease some people because at the first slip up they will be back on him. 

Conversely, you and your ilk appear prepared to excuse Nichols no matter how poorly he plays.

34 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I mean, you’re not wrong. But a start would be more than three consecutive games of good play. Are any of us wrong to see what Nichols is and has been for the majority of his career outside of one season and figure that at age 31, the best isn’t yet to come?

4 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

I mean, you’re not wrong. But a start would be more than three consecutive games of good play. Are any of us wrong to see what Nichols is and has been for the majority of his career outside of one season and figure that at age 31, the best isn’t yet to come?

I think that the irritant is not just Nichols inconsistent and often disastrous play, but also that the Bomber braintrust refuses to give Streveler opportunities to display his abilities or lack thereof. And equating criticism of Nichols' play (not character) to hatred is a false equivalency.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

Conversely, you and your ilk appear prepared to excuse Nichols no matter how poorly he plays.

Oh? Because I've been signing Nichols praises to the high heavens have I? Maybe go back and read what I've actually said... I've said he's not been playing well, I've said he's a flawed qb, but what I'm not doing is laying it all at his feet because that's bullshit. All I am doing really is arguing with you folks who are ready to run the guy out of town after he's led the best team we've had in almost 2 decades. 

3 hours ago, J5V said:

Lapo already preparing the excuse that Calgary's D is so very good. He's hoping we can score 1 more point than Calgary. He also said last week the Argos didn't make any mistakes on D and played really great and that it's professional football and anyone can beat you. When pressed about losing to the hapless Argos he said he blamed himself and he hopes the players blame themselves. He said from the 12 minute mark of the 4th quarter we only had 4 plays so how could he have run Andrew Harris when we had the ball so little? One series was a 2 and out and the other was a play to Harris and an incompletion. To me, that's like saying, we sucked because we couldn't stay on the field, because we couldn't get first downs, because we suck, because we couldn't get first downs, because we couldn't stay on the field, because we suck.

LaPo looked like he was restraining himself from going full on surly in that interview yesterday, a la Mike Kelly.   I'm not sure he has the patience or the appetite to deal with the media on a daily basis any longer, once a month seems to be about all of the suggestive questioning he can handle.   I can believe he might not have the  burning desire to become a H.C again, considering media relations is one of the major hassles that come with the position.

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I'd expect a 9 year vet to be able to make a pass over 5 yards and without the receiver having to contort or dive to catch the ball.   Their is reason why people have zero patience with the guy anymore.   The easy stuff shouldn't be such a massive struggle for the guy to perform.    He shouldn't require every single player around him to be playing at an all star level just for him to make a few passes.  

9 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Oh? Because I've been signing Nichols praises to the high heavens have I? Maybe go back and read what I've actually said... I've said he's not been playing well, I've said he's a flawed qb, but what I'm not doing is laying it all at his feet because that's bullshit. All I am doing really is arguing with you folks who are ready to run the guy out of town after he's led the best team we've had in almost 2 decades. 

And if you choose to go read my previous postings, you will find that when Nichols has done well, I have acknowledged that. All athletes, particularly quarterbacks, are responsible for their performances  and I believe that there is now enough evidence in Nichols' play to infer that he may not be good enough to take the team to the Cup. I readily credit him for a very good 2017 and at that point, was a better pivot than now. But things change and something appears to have changed for the worse. Streveler may or may not be a better alternative but its time to find out if he can do more than plunge into the line.

I think some people still forget that Nichols is - by far - the best QB we've had since Kevin Glenn 1.0... I like Nichols and I'm 100% confident that the best version of him is good enough to win a Grey Cup... where I'm starting to get very concerned.... is how often are we getting the best version of Nichols??... at this point, it's 4 out of 7 games.... which is not often enough...

13 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I think some people still forget that Nichols is - by far - the best QB we've had since Kevin Glenn 1.0... I like Nichols and I'm 100% confident that the best version of him is good enough to win a Grey Cup... where I'm starting to get very concerned.... is how often are we getting the best version of Nichols??... at this point, it's 4 out of 7 games.... which is not often enough...

This is how I see it as well. Nichols is Glenn 2.0. If he has a good team he'll go over .500 perennially, and that's near impossible for a coaching staff to give up on. (As a fan as well, i never want to re-live 3-15)

To me, Glenn had much better accuracy, a quicker release but suuuuucked in cold weather and under pressure.

Nichols, in my opinion has proven that he can perform in the cold, he can be mentally tough, but there's just absolutely no consistency. Also he's terrible at mid range throws and just plain misses his targets way too often.

Edited by Dr Zaius