Game Day Thread- Bombers at Arblows

Nolby

7 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Ok but Walter's and oshea haven't been here for 29 years, and honestly a big problem in that streak is the constantly firing coaches and gms when they hit a rough patch. No one ever got to build any consistancy. Walter's and oshea are the first ones and the results thus far seem positive. Always a playoff contender now, expectations of being a top team. Those guys have earned a lot more time.

Good, consistent leadership at the top. The Stamps don't win every year but they field a competitive team because the have good, consistent leadership at the top. That's what we're doing now and people want to throw that away for the unknown? Yikes. 

But it’s also worth noting that they’ve basically gone from Burris to Mitchell (plus one year of Kevin Glenn) for the entirety of their stretch of being perennial contenders. Before Burris they had some lean years. Having high-end QB play makes a massive difference. 

Edited by AKAChip

exactly...you have to assess this regime on their contribution...not their predecessors...first 2 years were total wash/rebuild ones...the last 3 we are the second winningest team in the CFL...same as this year being top (for now)...let what has finally been built and established grow and continue...to pull a redo...cause its 29 years and counting is plain suicide...i look at it as year 4 and counting now...and we seem to be on right track

18 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Ok but Walter's and oshea haven't been here for 29 years, and honestly a big problem in that streak is the constantly firing coaches and gms when they hit a rough patch. No one ever got to build any consistancy. Walter's and oshea are the first ones and the results thus far seem positive. Always a playoff contender now, expectations of being a top team. Those guys have earned a lot more time.

Agree. I'm not saying they deserve to be fired. The only thing I slightly disagree with is "a lot more time". Bill Belichik and Gregg Popovich have earned a lot more time, because of championships. Same with Hufnagel. O'Shea and Walters, have earned "more time". They are on the right path, and have built a contender. I'm just not ready to appoint them as GM and HC for life. And I do think at some point championships matter. 

9 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

But it’s also worth noting that they’ve basically gone from Burris to Mitchell (plus one year of Kevin Glenn) for the entirety of their stretch of being perennial contenders. Before Burris they had some lean years. Having high-end QB play makes a massive difference. 

I believe there was a year of Drew Tate in there, too....

8 minutes ago, Booch said:

exactly...you have to assess this regime on their contribution...not their predecessors...first 2 years were total wash/rebuild ones...the last 3 we are the second winningest team in the CFL...same as this year being top (for now)...let what has finally been built and established grow and continue...to pull a redo...cause its 29 years and counting is plain suicide...i look at it as year 4 and counting now...and we seem to be on right track

Definitely on the right track. I like what they've done. And, they should only be evaluated on their time here. However, the organization with the spiffy new stadium is accountable for 29 years of no championships. I'm just saying at some point that has to factor into decisions about GM and HC. We're not there yet. I'm not chicken little here. 

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I believe there was a year of Drew Tate in there, too....

That’s true but from 2015-2019 that makes two seasons where they didn’t have an undisputed top-tier QB. Pretty easy to stay competitive in that scenario. 

Edited by AKAChip

36 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

They've now been here for a shocking 21% of those 29 years with just a single playoff game win last year against Sask. A game they barely squeezed out. The progress has been p a I n f u l l y slow with a lot of the same crap still evident from the beginning like defensive collapses, anemic offensive performance, and stubborn loyalty to under-performers. How many years do you plan on giving them because in the time they've been here we have seen teams go from hot garbage to competitive in just a few seasons. We just got beat by one of them who seem to have turned it around in one season. 

I won't fault Walters,  he's brought in A+ Free Agents , drafted well and has recruited some really good imports.   I definitely would lock him up.

O'Shea is frustrating because of his poker face and outsiders having zero reads on what he really thinks/feels about the way his players really are playing.   On the other hand we have heard numerous positive reviews about the culture and the respect the players have for him.   I'd consider him untouchable as well.  

Coordinators this is where it's a bit dicey.   We definitely could use a fresh set of eyes on the defense.   I'd have no problems if they moved into a different direction as we have so much talent on our d that on talent alone we will get by.  

On offense I'm not completely on the blame LaPo bandwagon like a few others.  I'd like to see this offense being ran by someone decent like Harris or even Reilly.  If we move on I also don't think it's the end of the world because unless you get a wacko like Kelly,  anyone should be able to do decently with all the talent that we have. 

10 minutes ago, J5V said:

They've now been here for a shocking 21% of those 29 years with just a single playoff game win last year against Sask. A game they barely squeezed out. The progress has been p a I n f u l l y slow with a lot of the same crap still evident from the beginning like defensive collapses, anemic offensive performance, and stubborn loyalty to under-performers. How many years do you plan on giving them because in the time they've been here we have seen teams go from hot garbage to competitive in just a few seasons. We just got beat by one of them who seem to have turned it around in one season. 

this is all rhetoric based on the last two games, and nothing more...

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

this is all rhetoric based on the last two games, and nothing more...

The defensive collapse and anemic 2nd half offense last week against the Argos was extremely traumatic, like a bad recurring nightmare, except it was real. As others have said, a movie we've seen before. 

I had a dream where Doug Berry was our coach and Khari Jones was our OC and we had the players we have now. It didn't matter how we played defensively because we always outscored our opponents. In this dream Berry always ended up punching the opposing coach in the mouth. It was wonderful!

8 minutes ago, J5V said:

I had a dream where Doug Berry was our coach and Khari Jones was our OC and we had the players we have now. It didn't matter how we played defensively because we always outscored our opponents. In this dream Berry always ended up punching the opposing coach in the mouth. It was wonderful!

Doug Berry was despised by players, and the players we have now wouldn't be here to play for him.... a quote from Jamie Stoddard about Doug Berry, after he was fired: "I always knew I'd outlast that *******..."

I can't believe people are clamouring for Khari Jones? I love the guy but he did so little as an OC, he backed into the HC job. Montreal has talent and is on an emotional run but let's not hand him any awards quite yet. 

5 minutes ago, JCon said:

To be fair, J5V has had this rhetoric for ages. 

Its just how I see it and my eyes rarely deceive me. However, if some people still want to put lipstick on a pig don't rag on me if I say, hey, that's a pig! with lipstick!!

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Doug Berry was despised by players, and the players we have now wouldn't be here to play for him.... a quote from Jamie Stoddard about Doug Berry, after he was fired: "I always knew I'd outlast that *******..."

Who knew it was a popularity contest? I thought we were here to effin win!

26 minutes ago, Noeller said:

And damned few players loved Wally Buono, Don Matthews, Don Shula, Scotty Bowman, etc etc. Coaching is not a popularity contest and if players can be coached to winning, they will overlook a lot of things. How often have you heard a coach get fired for good reasons and then have heard the players moan about how great the coach was?