Game Day Thread- Bombers at Arblows

Nolby

3 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Lapo is an overthinker.  Almost every week we come out with a tactic that works in terms of misdirection, Harris, something that's working easy, and then he shifts away from it and never goes back.

Oh I agree, I usually call it smartest man in the room syndrome. I was just thinking about your comment regarding not having a set of plays tailored to Streveler's strengths.

1 minute ago, kelownabomberfan said:

What the heck does that even mean? Who else is going to call the plays? By "stay on the field" I assume he means get first downs. What a strange thing to say.

3 hours ago, Floyd said:

I think all of our guys can play man... but Hall calls a hybrid zone/man system that often leaves the flats wide open - so our DBs end up in zone and contain gains mostly if the DL is not getting massive pressure

That's why this team D succeeds in the redbone - there's more opportunity to play man under Hall's schemes

In other words, no more room to leave guys wide open underneath....

27 minutes ago, do or die said:

In other words, no more room to leave guys wide open underneath....

Yup.  This has never changed and never will - Hall, like Lapo, always reverts to what he knows...

Hall leaves the flats open and needs his players to be athletic freaks in pursuit

Lapo goes conservative at all the worst times

Both of them try to 'hold leads'...  this has always been the case

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

So in regards to our coordinator situation.... Are Jordan Younger and Coach Buck the next in line? I mean it's not like there's a bunch of experienced quality guys out there. 

Good question. I'd definitely give Buck a shot. I liked the way he played and he always struck me as a cerebral guy. I don't know Younger other than he was a cornerback and is now our defensive backs coach. Kind of moot though as I don't see O'Shea making any changes. Best scenario might be that Lapo finds a HC gig somewhere next season. It'd take an intervention for O'Shea for replace Hall.

14 hours ago, J5V said:

Good question. I'd definitely give Buck a shot. I liked the way he played and he always struck me as a cerebral guy. I don't know Younger other than he was a cornerback and is now our defensive backs coach. Kind of moot though as I don't see O'Shea making any changes. Best scenario might be that Lapo finds a HC gig somewhere next season. It'd take an intervention for O'Shea for replace Hall.

I dont think so. I think Hall has a shorter leash than people think

50 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

Benevides brought this up a few weeks ago. 

As has been bandied about in this forum before, one of O'Shea's features is his rigid loyalty to "his" players and that is likely to get him fired along with his people that he has defended.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

As has been bandied about in this forum before, one of O'Shea's features is his rigid loyalty to "his" players and that is likely to get him fired along with his people that he has defended.

I don't think O'Shea is in much danger of being fired anytime soon. There are things I wish he did differently but I'm in no rush to go back to the way things were before he (along with Miller/Walters) got here.

1 hour ago, Nash00 said:

I don't think O'Shea is in much danger of being fired anytime soon. There are things I wish he did differently but I'm in no rush to go back to the way things were before he (along with Miller/Walters) got here.

You are assuming that this is binary choice: either O'Shea and status quo or back to the dark ages. There are probably several choices in between or even better than the current regime. Khari seems to have turned the Als' season around and the Riders are arguably little worse for Chris Jones' departure. 

6 minutes ago, Tracker said:

You are assuming that this is binary choice: either O'Shea and status quo or back to the dark ages. There are probably several choices in between or even better than the current regime. Khari seems to have turned the Als' season around and the Riders are arguably little worse for Chris Jones' departure. 

Good point regarding coaching changes. It's never a binary choice. I'm not on the fire O'Shea bandwagon at present. However, at some point as an organization you have to measure a coach's performance against the ultimate goal - championships. Did you get to that level, did you win? I like what O'Shea and Walters have done. But, I can't say I'd be satisfied with say three more seasons of 9 or 10 wins then a first round playoff knock out. Not sure I'd take two more seasons of that. At some point you have to ask how do we get to the next level? And your current regime may not be capable of it. Or at least parts of it - maybe the coordinators have to go as step 1. It's one of the reasons why the Toronto Raptors fired coach of the year Dwane Casey. Very good coach. Wasn't able to elevate the team. It's why Paul Maurice will be fired at some point too. 

58 minutes ago, Tracker said:

That's true, although they currently sit a little south of us in the standings. I'm not buying MTL or SSK stock with their QB situations, let's see how good the coaching is if/when the young QB's hit a rough patch.

52 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

Good point regarding coaching changes. It's never a binary choice. I'm not on the fire O'Shea bandwagon at present. However, at some point as an organization you have to measure a coach's performance against the ultimate goal - championships. Did you get to that level, did you win? I like what O'Shea and Walters have done. But, I can't say I'd be satisfied with say three more seasons of 9 or 10 wins then a first round playoff knock out. Not sure I'd take two more seasons of that. At some point you have to ask how do we get to the next level? And your current regime may not be capable of it. Or at least parts of it - maybe the coordinators have to go as step 1. It's one of the reasons why the Toronto Raptors fired coach of the year Dwane Casey. Very good coach. Wasn't able to elevate the team. It's why Paul Maurice will be fired at some point too. 

As long as O'Shea and Walters can keep the team in the vicinity of first place every year in the West as the Stamps have for the past decade not sure how much more can be demanded of them.  Playoffs are a crap shoot, but odds are if they can accomplish the first objective they should be able to win a G.C. at least once every 4 years, it seems reasonable to expect that they claim their first within the next two years.

23 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

As long as O'Shea and Walters can keep the team in the vicinity of first place every year in the West as the Stamps have for the past decade not sure how much more can be demanded of them.  Playoffs are a crap shoot, but odds are if they can accomplish the first objective they should be able to win a G.C. at least once every 4 years, it seems reasonable to expect that they claim their first within the next two years.

15 minutes ago, Noeller said:

If we can be competitive year in and year out, we can't ask for a lot more. GCs will come if you're competitive consistently.... 

I agree with you both. Plus, I like what Walters and O'Shea have done. And, I like consistency in a franchise's coaching and management. But, I also think in a 9 team league it's fair as a ticket buying fan base to expect a championship more than once every 29 years. I get that there are so many factors that go into winning the Grey Cup, with luck being part of it. But, using Calgary as the standard - 3 Grey Cup wins since 2008. That buys management and coaches a lot more leeway. Again, I'm not calling for anyone's jobs. But, at some point competitiveness and getting into the playoffs has to amount to more. And, I guarantee there are coaches out there looking at this team who think they could get us there. 

1 hour ago, M.Silverback said:

I agree with you both. Plus, I like what Walters and O'Shea have done. And, I like consistency in a franchise's coaching and management. But, I also think in a 9 team league it's fair as a ticket buying fan base to expect a championship more than once every 29 years. I get that there are so many factors that go into winning the Grey Cup, with luck being part of it. But, using Calgary as the standard - 3 Grey Cup wins since 2008. That buys management and coaches a lot more leeway. Again, I'm not calling for anyone's jobs. But, at some point competitiveness and getting into the playoffs has to amount to more. And, I guarantee there are coaches out there looking at this team who think they could get us there. 

Ok but Walter's and oshea haven't been here for 29 years, and honestly a big problem in that streak is the constantly firing coaches and gms when they hit a rough patch. No one ever got to build any consistancy. Walter's and oshea are the first ones and the results thus far seem positive. Always a playoff contender now, expectations of being a top team. Those guys have earned a lot more time.