Game Day Thread- Bombers at Arblows

Nolby

7 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

Love Harris but definitely don't feel bad for him.  His fumble took at least 3 points off the board and when we needed a first down near the end to close out the game he couldn't get it done.  I know this wont be popular and yes he put up some huge yards.  But I was really looking for him at the end of the game when we were still up by 6 to help the offence stay on the field and close out the game. 

Yep like I said earlier, that fumble was the turning point in the game IMO.   We likely score 6 at that point.  Props to Harris for shouldering the blame though.

4 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

Love Harris but definitely don't feel bad for him.  His fumble took at least 3 points off the board and when we needed a first down near the end to close out the game he couldn't get it done.  I know this wont be popular and yes he put up some huge yards.  But I was really looking for him at the end of the game when we were still up by 6 to help the offence stay on the field and close out the game. 

When you look at the game stats, it seems like Lapo didn't abandon the run after all...  

Harris still carried the ball in the 4th Q, Demski was involved...  Nichols was just playing like garbage and was scared to throw deep

The one knock I have against Lapo is the lack of misdirection in the second half - but looking at it he did call a balanced game

3 minutes ago, Floyd said:

When you look at the game stats, it seems like Lapo didn't abandon the run after all...  

Harris still carried the ball in the 4th Q, Demski was involved...  Nichols was just playing like garbage and was scared to throw deep

The one knock I have against Lapo is the lack of misdirection in the second half - but looking at it he did call a balanced game

The first 5 games we saw the best of Lapo, the best of the ST's and a defence that held the opponents to a ridiculous low amount of points.  The last 2 games Lapo lost his creativity and didn't properly utilize our offensive weapons.  Where we this sweeps with Lucky? We didn't even try to stretch the field.  ST's which played lights out, allowed a ridiculous amount of return yards last night.  The defence made some plays last night but allowed way too many yards on the ground and let MBT complete too many short to mid range passes.  Oh and couldn't make a stop in the red zone.  

Everyone contributed to the loss last night just like everyone contributed to the wins. The sky's not falling but with the other teams in the west (other than BC) winning.  I can now start to feel the heat.

1 hour ago, J5V said:

Speaking of coaches, Lapo needs to go. His brand of quirky madness is costing this team games and that's not acceptable. Two-and-Out check-downs is not a good game plan when you're up 20-0.

I doubt Lapo is calling those check-downs. That's Nichols unable to get through his reads and then ditching on the play.

6 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

I doubt Lapo is calling those check-downs. That's Nichols unable to get through his reads and then ditching on the play.

Certainly looks like it. The coaches must be going nuts watching the game film. I'd be screaming at the video. Again, for self preservation as a head coach, one more outing like that from my starting QB and I'd go with Streveler just to try to save my job. 

Edited by M.Silverback

35 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

So were the Argos.

10 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

The first 5 games we saw the best of Lapo, the best of the ST's and a defence that held the opponents to a ridiculous low amount of points.  The last 2 games Lapo lost his creativity and didn't properly utilize our offensive weapons.  Where we this sweeps with Lucky? We didn't even try to stretch the field.  ST's which played lights out, allowed a ridiculous amount of return yards last night.  The defence made some plays last night but allowed way too many yards on the ground and let MBT complete too many short to mid range passes.  Oh and couldn't make a stop in the red zone.  

Everyone contributed to the loss last night just like everyone contributed to the wins. The sky's not falling but with the other teams in the west (other than BC) winning.  I can now start to feel the heat.

One thing I've noticed in the losses is moving the pocket v. misdirection...  Lapo/Nichols survive on misdirection and playaction - then this training camp, its announced that Nichols is lean and more mobile... now we're trying to move the pocket but Nichols can't - he's too old to change, same as Buck was...

We have multiple shovel/sweep/pitch threats - Harris/Demski/Whitehead/Augustine - just need to use them...

Nichols will need to stretch the field in the first drive next game - his first long ball will likely determine how the game goes... it will be Nichols to Matthews v. Roberson...  he's got to send a message

45 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

Just try to imagine this team without Harris. That's when it hits me how bad Nichols actually is. All roads to success on offense go through Andrew Harris. Sadly, even with the weapons we have on offense and a great performance by Harris last night it wasn't enough to save this team from Nichol's poor play. The QB position is simply too important.

What I'm wondering now is how many performances of this kind do we have to endure before O'Shea makes a change. The count is two straight. Would 3, 4, 5, 10 be enough or will we be force-fed these performances until yet another season if wasted? Even Walters has to be wondering WTH is going on. He's given his old buddy a great roster of talented players and, like Nichols, he's managing to lose against (what was) the worst team in the league before last night.

Does losing to the worst team in the league mean you are now the worst team in the league?

Watching that 2nd half....was really struck by the lack of adjustment from this coaching staff.

Argo QB kept dropping those dinks and dumps... and scrambling up the middle. while we vacated some zones, to run useless blitz packages......lousy tackling didn't help matters
No attempt to stretch the field on O, no Streveler, no Hybrid packages.....less than 30 yds passing in that half.

Top to bottom fail

1 minute ago, do or die said:

Watching that 2nd half....was really struck by the lack of adjustment from this coaching staff.

Argo QB kept dropping those dinks and dumps... and scrambling up the middle. while we vacated some zones, to run useless blitz packages......lousy tackling didn't help matters
No attempt to stretch the field on O, no Streveler, no Hybrid packages.....less than 30 yds passing in that half.

Top to bottom fail

Can’t believe how much respect our DBs were showing MBT

hall left the flats open all game... but he does that most of the time...

57 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

Certainly looks like it. The coaches must be going nuts watching the game film. I'd be screaming at the video. Again, for self preservation as a head coach, one more outing like that from my starting QB and I'd go with Streveler just to try to save my job. 

O'Shea is in no danger of being fired.

16 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I'd like to think that MOS will consider starting Streveler at some point but I really don't think so based on his history. Same with Lapo, same stuff going back to 2002, only difference is in 2002 we had Blink+Khari+Milt and they freelanced. Same issues with Hall.

Zero chance of Streveler starting barring a Nichols injury.    I don't see him getting game time this weekend unless the club is absolutely getting pummeled and they'll put him in with 4 minutes left so he can hand the ball off to kill time.

20 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I'd like to think that MOS will consider starting Streveler at some point but I really don't think so based on his history. Same with Lapo, same stuff going back to 2002, only difference is in 2002 we had Blink+Khari+Milt and they freelanced. Same issues with Hall.

Much of that era was the same story, except Khari was always the scapegoat when our insanely talented O didn’t perform. 

6 hours ago, B-F-F-C said:

In the time that  the ball placement challenge on 3rd downs has been in place.  I can't remember a coach winning one.   It would have had to be so flagrant to be overturned.  With the game so close Osh probably felt he'd keep it for something more challengable.  I'm not saying he shouldn't have but I understand why he didn't.  

I also don't think there was clear video evidence to overturn the spot.  If it was clear (and the spotters would have seen it), then they would have challenged, but likely knew it would be a waste.

The camera angle on the measurement was terrible too because it looked short.

7 hours ago, JCon said:

I don't understand this comment. Those teams were forced to start their back-ups when their starter went down. O'Shea started a raw rookie last year when our starter went down. 

You are correct. My point was supposed to be that teams have fallen back on their second string quarterbacks and have not imploded. I phrased this poorly, but I think the point is still valid. 

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

O'Shea is in no danger of being fired.

I agree, he's pretty secure. No imminent danger. But, don't you think if the Bombers continue to slide, creep into the playoffs, continue to ride with mediocre game managing Nichols, lose first round, that O'Shea might be on the hot seat? I'm not on the fire O'Shea bandwagon. But unless you're name is Popovich or Belichick, as a coach, you will be fired at some point. Even Belichick was fired in the past.

56 minutes ago, Sard said:

I also don't think there was clear video evidence to overturn the spot.  If it was clear (and the spotters would have seen it), then they would have challenged, but likely knew it would be a waste.

The camera angle on the measurement was terrible too because it looked short.

If that's true then what were we all looking at because I'm convinced, and I'm sure I'm not alone, that they were at least 2 yards short of a first down. He fumbled for cripes sakes. When I saw the ref spot that ball I said, no way, O'Shea, you have to challenge that! That's BS!

49 minutes ago, J5V said:

If that's true then what were we all looking at because I'm convinced, and I'm sure I'm not alone, that they were at least 2 yards short of a first down. He fumbled for cripes sakes. When I saw the ref spot that ball I said, no way, O'Shea, you have to challenge that! That's BS!

Exactly. He took the ball out of the pile and moved it ahead - with several players watching. 

49 minutes ago, J5V said:

First I want to agree that the spot of the ball was absolute BS. But the way that the review system works in the CFL, and other leagues, is that there has to be conclusive evidence to overturn the call on the field. Trouble is that every angle shows MBT fumbling and almost immediately that ball disappears from view and is never seen anywhere. Thus there is no chance of a successful result to a challenge, going by the rules. Despite my questioning MOS more and more as a coach, I don't blame him at all for not challenging.

Willy Jefferson gave Nichols a chance to win the game. Yes we had issues throughout the the game but inside 2 minutes our defence stepped up and got the ball back by forcing a turnover. 2 first downs would have sealed it, 1 would have come close, and Nichols engineered another two and out. Good QB's find a way. 

4 hours ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

Willy Jefferson gave Nichols a chance to win the game. Yes we had issues throughout the the game but inside 2 minutes our defence stepped up and got the ball back by forcing a turnover. 2 first downs would have sealed it, 1 would have come close, and Nichols engineered another two and out. Good QB's find a way. 

Harris got 3 or 4 on first down.  Nichols on 2nd and manageable throws a 4 or 5 yard incomplete pass. 

He has his happy feet back. Hes afraid to get hit. 

I find the Streveler thing interesting cuz he can throw to his checkdowns also but.. He can also run. So 170 passing plus 70 80 plus on the ground is better. 

This team has talent..lots.. They just need avg QB play.. They aren't getting it. 

There’s no doubt in my mind that Nichols is being elevated by the players around him. So sick and tired of the constant checkdowns, fear of getting hit and inability to put the ball in the right spot. His accuracy has been absolutely pitiful this year and we’ve paid pretty dearly for it when you think about it - he got Matthews destroyed on a long bomb he hung up for way too long, he’s had Whitehead, Wolitarsky and Lawler contorting their bodies to make what should be easy catches and taking some good abuse for their troubles, he’s almost gotten Lawler killed across the middle on two separate occasions ... he’s making the easy throws look tough and the tough throws look impossible. I honestly think the last time he dropped one right in the basket was to Demski against Ottawa.

That doesn’t absolve LaPolice either though. Call a play that allows for a slant route once in a while, good grief. Open up the playbook and call a game like you brought your nuts to the stadium for once. Absolutely gutless football and it doesn’t make me sick because it means we’re 5-2 today, it makes me sick because it’s the exact attitude that never gets you a ring.