Game Day Thread- Bombers at Arblows

Nolby

9 minutes ago, Tracker said:

-The Riders, Stamps and Alouettes had the acumen to trust backup quarterbacks. O'Shea doesn't.

I don't understand this comment. Those teams were forced to start their back-ups when their starter went down. O'Shea started a raw rookie last year when our starter went down. 

7 minutes ago, Tracker said:

-What the hell has happened to Bighill? Wilson was way more effective, but, like Nichols, he is allowed to flail around out there without consequence

-This team will probably stagger into the playoffs, and lose out in the first round under Nichols. Probably (ick) to the Riders.

Bighill - Yeah, I love the guy, but he's barely noticeable out there. I wonder if he's still injured. Hamstring injuries can really linger and are more limiting than most think.

I fear a first round knock out as well. Even a Western final knockout I think signals time for some changes. QB for sure. Both coordinators. Head coach ... maybe.

12 minutes ago, Tracker said:

There are several takeaways from last night's game and none of them good.

-Nichols is not good or consistent enough to take the team to the Grey Cup. At this point, he looks as damaged as Willy did in his last days here.

-What the hell has happened to Bighill? Wilson was way more effective, but, like Nichols, he is allowed to flail around out there without consequence

-The Riders, Stamps and Alouettes had the acumen to trust backup quarterbacks. O'Shea doesn't.

1 - Not quite the same,  Willy was beaten down and had zero time to make his reads/throws.  With the lack of mobility Willy couldn't buy time to make a pass.   When the o-line started coming around Willy was already completely shell shocked.    Nichols has the friggin time... the guy simply doesn't have the arm ,  the legs,  the confidence to make tight throws.  

2 - I think people are over exaggerating the crapping on Bighill.   While he hasn't been rock solid he's far from playing bad.    I think a lot of the bad look comes from the completely open 10 yards down the field zone that the Blue allow.  

3 - Those three teams only put the back up in because of injury.  What makes no sense is that this team did sprinkle in Streveler last season and a bit earlier this year in a few series to mix things up.   Why in the bloody hell would they not do this when Nichols is absolutely tanking and can't make a single first down?  It blows my mind?   Would it kill them to at least give Chris a shot?

4 minutes ago, Brandon said:

2 - I think people are over exaggerating the crapping on Bighill.   While he hasn't been rock solid he's far from playing bad.    I think a lot of the bad look comes from the completely open 10 yards down the field zone that the Blue allow.  

Agree that Bighill has not been "bad". But, he's an NFL level talent. I expect a difference maker who makes big plays every game. Like Jefferson has been. I hold him to a much higher standard than a replacement level player. Defensive player of the year. Based on that, he's not playing at that level. That's why I think he's likely still a bit injured. And I do agree that the Richie Hall soft zone scheme  and telegraphed blitz package is not making anyone look great on the Bomber D. And we've seen this scheme for how many seasons now? 

17 minutes ago, Tracker said:

There are several takeaways from last night's game and none of them good.

-Nichols is not good or consistent enough to take the team to the Grey Cup. At this point, he looks as damaged as Willy did in his last days here.

-I have had my doubts about the Bomber coaching and O'Shea in particular and this game confirmed my worst fears. O'Shea is "a players' coach", and in his case this means that he is endlessly and blindly loyal to "his" players. That is going to doom the 2019 Bombers and probably O'Shea's tenure as head coach.

-I have suspected that Walters probably ordered O'Shea to trade Willy and this QB situation sure looks like another such situation.

-This team will probably stagger into the playoffs, and lose out in the first round under Nichols. Probably (ick) to the Riders.

-I am dreading the Labour Day Classic and my brother-in-law's glee once again.

-I thought we had the right stuff this year to challenge for the conference lead all season. Wrong.

I have said my piece about O'Shea and the prospects of the team under him, so to avoid sounding like a broken record (remember those?), I will cease from stating that O'Shea has to go. He has made my point for me abundantly. 

I'm not going to argue every point because I can't but a couple stand out and require context. 

Sure the Riders,  Stamps and Allouettes have had some success with their back up QB but that's only due to a significant injury to their starter.   This was not a situation where a starter was playing poorly and a decision was made to go with the other guy.  BIG difference. 

So you want the team to fire O'Shea?  Why?  Because he doesn't blow up like Maas on the sidelines?  Because he doesn't sound like a whiney ***** like Dickenson?  Because he doesn't coach like you want him too?  Because he wears hoodies and not some buttoned down shirt?   Osh isn't perfect but he's a good coach and if he was fired.  He'd be scooped up before he even got to his car with his box of personal belongings. 

Please tell me which QB this season has been pulled and replaced with the exception of an injury replacement? 

O’Shea is a good coach. Not flawless but who is? His special teams are always excellent. When is the last time we were called for a no yards? And we have maybe two illegal block calls on returns this year? His teams are always well disciplined. He struggles with roster management and his handling of the QB situation is poor but I’ll take it given he’s still the best coach we’ve had since the early 90s. 

6 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

Please tell me which QB this season has been pulled and replaced with the exception of an injury replacement? 

In game because the QB was struggling? Franklin, Fajardo, MBT, Adams and Jennings have all been pulled mid-game. All very bad QBs, sure but it’s not like this doesn’t happen. And that’s not even covering all the reps Streveler logically should have had in massive blowouts but didn’t. 

7 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

O’Shea is a good coach. Not flawless but who is? His special teams are always excellent. When is the last time we were called for a no yards? And we have maybe two illegal block calls on returns this year? His teams are always well disciplined. He struggles with roster management and his handling of the QB situation is poor but I’ll take it given he’s still the best coach we’ve had since the early 90s. 

Handling who's starting at QB should not be his job, that should land squarely on LaPolice and if he can't figure it out either maybe we need to go out and get Calvillo or another ex quarterback who understands the position at the end of the season to be our new offensive coordinator.

Edited by Nickthesizz

1 minute ago, Nickthesizz said:

Handling who's starting at QB should not be his job, that should land squarely on LaPolice and if he can't figure it out either maybe we need to go out and get Calvillo at the end of the season to be our new offensive coordinator.

We may have the next OC and he's already with the team.  Buck Pierce was one of the most cerebral QB's. His body gave out on him but he still has a great QB mindset. 

2 minutes ago, Nickthesizz said:

Handling who's starting at QB should not be his job, that should land squarely on LaPolice and if he can't figure it out either maybe we need to go out and get Calvillo or another ex quarterback who understands the position at the end of the season to be our new offensive coordinator.

The HC makes the final call on QB changes. Sure, I want my HC to grant autonomy to their OC so they aren’t neutered but while the playcalling fiascos are solely on Lapo, pulling Nichols when he’s struggling is O’Shea’s responsibility. 

25 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

Based on what you're saying, O'Shea would be an excellent special teams coach, but not a particularly effective head coach.

If you watch the non=challenge of that spot that kept an argo drive alive, O'Shea was slow and struggling with it....That was not a first down and the chains were brought in and disappeared before the bloody things were even stretched out....AND no challenge...That was a coaching error of great proportions that 'could' have cost us that game...Whenever there's a challenge O'Shea looks unsure and dithering and it's a wonder we get any of them dealt with properly...Those refs. are bunglers at times and that whole spot was rushed in and rushed out before we could blink...Bogus baloney that makes this league look really bad....BUT  O'Shea should have been on top of that spot at that critical juncture of the game....We were conned

1 minute ago, Stickem said:

If you watch the non=challenge of that spot that kept an argo drive alive, O'Shea was slow and struggling with it....That was not a first down and the chains were brought in and disappeared before the bloody things were even stretched out....AND no challenge...That was a coaching error of great proportions that 'could' have cost us that game...Whenever there's a challenge O'Shea looks unsure and dithering and it's a wonder we get any of them dealt with properly...Those refs. are bunglers at times and that whole spot was rushed in and rushed out before we could blink...Bogus baloney that makes this league look really bad....BUT  O'Shea should have been on top of that spot at that critical juncture of the game....We were conned

A couple extra first downs in the third would have made it easier to forget the reffin as well.

We are 5-2 which sounds not bad, right? But as someone else suggested if we keep playing like this we could easily find ourselves 5-5. Man, O'Shea, we could easily be 7-0 if you could just get Nichols, Lapo, and Hall to pull their heads out of their asses. I expect that from my head coach. I wish you could do it but you never have so carry on. Everyone loves you. 

1 hour ago, M.Silverback said:

I fear a first round knock out as well. Even a Western final knockout I think signals time for some changes. QB for sure. Both coordinators. Head coach ... maybe.

We must finish 1st in the west to have any realistic shot of getting to the Grey Cup. After 5 games i liked our chances. Now...well...this team will have to play better just to make the playoffs...

3 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Every team can point to a bad call or two every game.  Blame the refs or the non-challenge all you want, but they were not the reason we lost.