CFL Players in NFL Training Camps

M.O.A.B.

https://3downnation.com/2019/07/30/a-comprehensive-guide-to-canadians-and-former-cfl-players-in-nfl-training-camps/

There are some notable DBs who are currently free-agents on this list:
DB Mercy Maston
DB Dexter McCoil
DB Shaq Richardson 
DB Kacy Rogers II

Edited by M.O.A.B.

16 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

https://3downnation.com/2019/07/30/a-comprehensive-guide-to-canadians-and-former-cfl-players-in-nfl-training-camps/

There are some notable DBs who are currently free-agents on this list:
DB Mercy Maston
DB Dexter McCoil
DB Shaq Richardson 
DB Kacy Rogers II

Interestingly there isn't a single player on that list for which BB owns the rights

18 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Zylstra and duke are guys who would improve every team in the league. 

Duke would be an awesome addition for any CFL team. I have a feeling though that he may stick around the NFL this year, even if it's on a practice roster. Zylstra I think is on his last chance in the NFL. He's talented enough, I just think that if he can't crack the roster this year and actually play (he only had one reception last season, and played special teams), I think the Vikings will move on from him and keep one of the players they drafted low in his place.

Related to that, I highly recommend listening to Adam Bighill on the 3downnation podcast talking about CFL players trying to make NFL teams. In short, it's an uphill battle for so many reasons that don't necessarily have to do with talent.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Most of the time its politics and image.

If a draft pick is battling with a CFL guy and even not as good..they will be elevated above the CFL guy..its just how it works...not right but picks have to be justified.

Exactly. Bighill definitely confirms this. The thing that surprised me a bit in the podcast was the perspective some coaches (he mentions Sean Payton) have towards special teams players. Basically, some teams don't place a value on a high performing special teams player, versus dressing your "best 53 players". So, you could have a LB who is great on special teams who doesn't make the game day roster because a DB or WR is considered one of the best 53 players, even if they are not as good on specials. I suppose special teams are less important in the NFL given most kick offs are touch backs, and most punts aren't returned. 

On 2019-08-01 at 12:53 PM, M.Silverback said:

Exactly. Bighill definitely confirms this. The thing that surprised me a bit in the podcast was the perspective some coaches (he mentions Sean Payton) have towards special teams players. Basically, some teams don't place a value on a high performing special teams player, versus dressing your "best 53 players". So, you could have a LB who is great on special teams who doesn't make the game day roster because a DB or WR is considered one of the best 53 players, even if they are not as good on specials. I suppose special teams are less important in the NFL given most kick offs are touch backs, and most punts aren't returned. 

Yep.  FG’s generally aren’t live too.  There are way fewer special teams plays in a NFL game.