TSN 1290 Rants and Raves

JCon

Better put our TSN 1290 rants and raves in here. 

I'll start. I love the Friday 6-pack. Think it's funny. Their picks are ridiculous and their rationale is poor. 

I also like Rewucki. I think he adds actual analysis. 

I agree, Hustler is good, mildly funny, good guy, doesn't take himself or sports too seriously, organized, and keeps it moving along.

Glad that 1290 suddenly noticed this week that the Bombers have been playing.

(listening a few weeks ago they started off with "going to cover the Bombers this segment" had a guest on to do this with, then, "but first" and spent the next half hour talking about something else, then, "ran out of time"

LOL. pathetic. Good way to lose me as an audience and station follower.

feel a bit sorry for Bauming who drowns in a sea of hockey talk. They cover things like how much salary some guy playing for the Arizona Coyotes makes, is it  too much, not enough.

argh does anyone actually care about that?

Edited by Mark F

41 minutes ago, Mark F said:

I agree, Hustler is good, mildly funny, good guy, doesn't take himself or sports too seriously, organized, and keeps it moving along.

The thing I appreciate most about Hustler is that he interviews very well. He let's the guests speak and asks good questions. He never acts like he knows more than anyone else. 

When Lawless was there, he would ask a question, then give his opinion before the guest had a chance to answer to try to "show off" to the guest. 

Edited by JCon
Typo

9 minutes ago, JCon said:

The thing I appreciate most about Hustler is that he interviews very well. He let's the guests speak and asks good questions. He never acts like he knows more than anyone else. 

When Lawler was there, he would ask a question, then give his opinion before the guest had a chance to answer to try to "show off" to the guest. 

Yes I agree about both. Hustler is a good interviewer. Lot of these people are not.

I heard the same thing  your describe coming from Lawless, once or twice, so stopped listening until he was gone. Now listen regularly to Hustler.

For me sign of a good sports show host, is the ability to maintain my interest, when the sport or subject is something I don't care about, and Hustler can do that.

Turned on Westwood today, think he was discussing Tanev's contract, said it was "shocking"

turned it off immediately. The guy needs to turn it down a notch or two.

Edited by Mark F

Westwood and Toth argue too much. They sound like little kids. Westwood is kind of a jerk, can't have a disagreement without insulting the other person. Toth generally has terrible opinions, then gets his feelings hurt when Westwood is mean to him. They've been discussing Copp for a week straight now, which is painfully redundant.

Hustler's ok, but I don't like Rick Ralph. For the most part, he has nothing of value to add, just bad jokes. I miss Lawless. He seemed to be the biggest CFL fan of any of them, and was starting to have good insider info for both CFL and NHL.

Hated Lawless for a long time but honestly he got a lot better and didn't mind him. Hustler is pretty good.

Kevin O on the Donvito Roundtable is terrible. Listening this morning and he clearly does no research. For example, Bombers trying to go 6-0 for the first time since 1959, its 1960, how many times has this been mentioned. Talked about the good return game tonight with Charles Nelson (hello on the IR). Seriously do some basic prep like a 10 year old can. Its only your job.

I listen to 1290 on the way to work and back.  

I don't mind Toth he's funny and doesn't take everything so seriously. 

Westwood isn't terrible but he doesn't really add a whole much in the way of personality or anything of merit in any of the conversations.

Reuwicky or however it's spelled is much better,  he at least provides an opinion and plays devils advocate.

I don't listen much to Kevin O during the day but he sounds very dry when I have tuned it in. 

Rick Ralph is awful ,  I have no idea why he's employed.   His jokes are poor and sometimes it's cringey on how he tries to be funny with some of the call in guests they have.   Lawless was a better partner because at least he'd offer some decent insight.

Hustler is good at interviews and at least has some personality.   I don't mind listening to him.

For the regular guests that the shows have I find the NHL guys are all A+ and offer good insight.   

The NFL guy they have each week on the morning show is sarcastic and I find funny.  He isn't afraid to call out when a player is the drizzling shits and how teams are making boneheaded moves. 

For the CFL ,  Milt is useless and offers cookie cutter answers and doesn't really offer anything that isn't obvious.   Walby is funny but his knowledge is on par with anyone on these boards going on the show.   Pedersen is entertaining I will give him that,  but he's a complete tool. Marshall Ferguson is really good and seems to know his ****.

Overall I prefer 1290 since it doesn't have obscene amount of commercials like 680 does. 

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

statements like these always make me chuckle....there's a reason TSN doesn't have a lot of commercials and CJOB does.

It may be true that CJOB can sell more advertising but it also makes the product terrible. Why can't they sell less for more? I refuse to turn on OB unless Bob is on. 

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way... there's a reason OB pulls in massive numbers, can charge whatever they want for ads and STILL sell out regularly. They're a machine and they put out a great product. Their morning show is fantastic. I'm at a point in my career where I really don't want to do mornings anymore, but I'll tell you what, every time I listen to their Mackling/McGarry thing, I think "I kinda wanna be a part of that..." They're good...really good. And their news dept, which is their bread and butter, is top notch. 

Just now, Noeller said:

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way... there's a reason OB pulls in massive numbers, can charge whatever they want for ads and STILL sell out regularly. They're a machine and they put out a great product. Their morning show is fantastic. I'm at a point in my career where I really don't want to do mornings anymore, but I'll tell you what, every time I listen to their Mackling/McGarry thing, I think "I kinda wanna be a part of that..." They're good...really good. And their news dept, which is their bread and butter, is top notch. 

I worked with Mackling's wife back when he was just starting out with bit gigs (after he won the contest). He seemed really genuine and his wife was fantastic. I'm glad for his success but just can't get into their show. 

I suppose I would rather yell at Westwood through the radio (or just listen to a podcast). 

1 minute ago, JCon said:

I worked with Mackling's wife back when he was just starting out with bit gigs (after he won the contest). He seemed really genuine and his wife was fantastic. I'm glad for his success but just can't get into their show. 

I suppose I would rather yell at Westwood through the radio (or just listen to a podcast). 

that is more than fair! 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

statements like these always make me chuckle....there's a reason TSN doesn't have a lot of commercials and CJOB does.

Because they are desperate for money. It's pretty damn clear they are hard up when Irving has to constantly queue ad promos on top of taking endless commercial breaks.

CJOB is ridiculously cheap for ads so it's no surprise that they have a bunch of local ads.

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

Because they are desperate for money. It's pretty damn clear they are hard up when Irving has to constantly queue ad promos on top of taking endless commercial breaks.

CJOB is ridiculously cheap for ads so it's no surprise that they have a bunch of local ads.

Trust me, any smart business owner would want to be on 'OB, regardless of your target demo...

53 minutes ago, JCon said:

Had to turn 1290 off this morning. First time Westy is back and he's ranting about the football game from last week (on a game day). He's so terrible and his points don't make sense. 

I only heard him talking about how Kongbo will bolt to the NFL and how Toronto should of not gone after ZC.

• 2 weeks later...