Some Truth to the Rumour

Mr Dee

42 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Like there are no dirty crooked cops in the world these days......

There are some really scary police out there- racist, gynophobic, violent and addicted. The worst thing about that is the":blue wall" where they protect their offenders come hell or high water. 

45 minutes ago, Tracker said:

There are some really scary police out there- racist, gynophobic, violent and addicted. The worst thing about that is the":blue wall" where they protect their offenders come hell or high water. 

That’s because they have a hard time finding new recruits. Good ones, that is. 

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

That’s because they have a hard time finding new recruits. Good ones, that is. 

It tends to be an accelerating process- if there is a bad culture, good recruits will leave rather than adopt the "us against them" attitude and then only the problematic recruits will stay and perpetuate the culture.

5 minutes ago, Tracker said:

It tends to be an accelerating process- if there is a bad culture, good recruits will leave rather than adopt the "us against them" attitude and then only the problematic recruits will stay and perpetuate the culture.

I teach Law at The Highschool level, so I have had many RCMP members come in as guest speakers over the years, both working and retired. What you say is true, but their primary frustration is dealing with the same criminals over and over again.  

1 minute ago, Mark H. said:

I teach Law at The Highschool level, so I have had many RCMP members come in as guest speakers over the years, both working and retired. What you say is true, but their primary frustration is dealing with the same criminals over and over again.  

Yeah a buddy of mine became a Winnipeg cop... said they had 'stabbing regulars'...

I've been a law enforcement officer for close to 15 years and I've seen all kinds of officers come and go.  Yeah there is some idiots who have never had an ounce of power in their lives who come in and think they are above the law and untouchable.  Those idiots usually get put in their place fairly quickly by the good guys or sometimes the "job" puts them in their place and they correct their ways pretty quickly.  The point of working with the same criminals over and over again can't be stressed enough.  I have known some of the same criminals for my entire career and I can't see anything changing with that.  Saying that, once the boys have had a few drinks I have seen it enough when the stories come out and I can believe that this guys friend told him about this incident.

8 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

There’s a bad cop now and then. But most are great people, hard working, in a very stressful job. They make good neighbours. I’d rather support the fuzz than degrade them. 

My family is full of protective services. 2 RCMP, 1 City,  1 paramedic, 1 city Firefighrer and 1 retired federal firefighter. All are above and beyond fantastic and hard working and have risen to very high levels. Not all are like that, but the vast majority are. I hate people who **** on cops amd first responders. It's among the most brutal jobs a person can do. 

20 hours ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Oh I know! The stuff I hear is ridiculous! I'm not even going to get into the rest of it. 

Too bad your cop friend doesn't know his "friend" is running off to tell strangers on the internet his words imparted in confidence, so his "friend" can collect all the internet points. 

I get the point of a forum and sharing info and all, but what those guys see and have to do is some hard stuff that messes people up. It'd be nice if the outlet they chose to share, had some class and decorum and didn't do what you did.

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I'll check those out.

Not British but "Run Ronnie Run!" with David Cross is a classic.

Found it! looks good already... thanks, if you have any other comedy recommendations, please et me know. hard to find. at movie thread I guess.

1 hour ago, The Classic said:

Too bad your cop friend doesn't know his "friend" is running off to tell strangers on the internet his words imparted in confidence, so his "friend" can collect all the internet points. 

I get the point of a forum and sharing info and all, but what those guys see and have to do is some hard stuff that messes people up. It'd be nice if the outlet they chose to share, had some class and decorum and didn't do what you did.

Lol. Chill out. If I wanted internet points I'd tell the whole story but I'm not. I simply validated that there is a lot more than just a little scuffle at a night club. 

He told a few of us the other night and really doesnt care who gets told or if the word gets out. It's not like it's a huge murder case. 

Again, the story will likely all come out at the end of the season if not sooner. 

Some of the discussion here is disturbing. If & when the time comes that charges are laid then we'll hear about it. Until then, why are we disparaging players characters? Questions like, What happened? Did Matthews start it? A teammate stabbed him? The Bombers & the cops are supressing  charges until after the season so the team doesn't miss out on a Grey Cup?

I remember 2016 when Stamps Mylan Hicks was murdered at a bar here in Calgary.  I don't like when someone comes on here with a so called "story" acting like they have the inside scoop because a family member is a cop.  Just to impress us. Maybe true. Maybe not. Well, not impressed. If it ever comes out the Bombers had anything to do with supressing charges & the Winnipeg Police agreed then heads should roll.  And don't give me a bullshit story that this isn't what it's about as it sure as hell is.

7 hours ago, Rod Black said:

There’s a bad cop now and then. But most are great people, hard working, in a very stressful job. They make good neighbours. I’d rather support the fuzz than degrade them. 

Having a cop on one side of me and an ex-Bomber on the other, I am pretty happy with my neighbours.

My dad works for the province nd a few of his buddies are high ranking cops and lawyers and they told him the Matthews story that's going around isnt even close to the truth. Turns out its pretty minor. He told me earlier this evening that a few people may have embellished the story a wee bit... A wee bit being.. They werent there so they have no clue. 

Not saying the cop who told this story made it up but lets just say he likely over exaggerated. 

Edited by Goalie

8 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who doesn't know Matthews and he's not even talking about this so clearly it's a total nothing burger. 

Cripes the amount of gossip around here, you'd think it's the knitting circle at the old folks home. 

Yep. Not much more you can say about it.

So he didn't jump on a table, scream "NO PRISONERS!" and begin to cleave his way through the crowd with a claymore?  I, for one, am shocked...  I'm further shocked that an officer of the law could ever possibly embellish a story for the sake of some drinking buddys or a court.  That's never ever happened in history, I'm quite confident.