Pregame talk: Bombing the Hammer

Looks like all of Hardrick, Demski, Whitehead and Hecht are good to go. 

Bighill is poise to return, which will push Warren to the 1-man reserve.

If I'm O'Shea, I'll move downWarren back to PR and move up Matthews as the 1-man reserve. Just to keep him away of Winnipeg night clubs. :D

The keys are going to be containing Masoli and shutting down Banks.  If the Bombers can do that, then I like their chances.  You never know what you are going to see against them, but when the Tigercat offense is rolling, they look great. The Bombers have looked good against the weak sisters.  Playing the Ticats at home should be a good test of where they are at this point.  In recent years they have not always matched up well against Hamilton.  There are a lot of new faces and I am anxious to see how they do now. 

Masoli has never ever worried me....he's better than the Jennings/Davis's of the world, but he's far from being one of the truly elite QBs in this league. Banks is dangerous, for sure...needs to be contained both on offense and ST...

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Masoli has never ever worried me....he's better than the Jennings/Davis's of the world, but he's far from being one of the truly elite QBs in this league. Banks is dangerous, for sure...needs to be contained both on offense and ST...

Looking at his numbers against us it seems that he piles on the yards but has an even TD to INT ratio.   

From the games I've watched him play against other teams.... the guy is a better version of Jennings in which he usually only succeeds when his legs buys him some time to throw.   

Get pressure or contain him and I think we will be fine. 

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Looking at his numbers against us it seems that he piles on the yards but has an even TD to INT ratio.   

From the games I've watched him play against other teams.... the guy is a better version of Jennings in which he usually only succeeds when his legs buys him some time to throw.   

Get pressure or contain him and I think we will be fine. 

accurate!

On 2019-07-22 at 12:36 PM, Firekid said:

And they have used a lot of max protection against the Bombers in the past which give Masoily time to make those long passes to Banks et al. This will be interesting because the pressure D has been successful for the Bombers so far and I'm not sure how that is going to work out in Hamilton. We shall see on Friday. 

Yeah, I'm looking forward to some nasty trench warfare. Jeffcoat and Jefferson are at the top of their game.

23 hours ago, Mark F said:

Has Lucky ever played DB?

I want to put Lucky on covering  Banks.

The way id approach a guy like him isnt with raw speed. Plus our imp dbs arent slow guys by any means. Id shift vice coverages around on him. Have his db cover over and then show but drop kyrie or WJ under neath him, Or DB under and hecht over. Id play him physical. Hit him hard on every running play. Put his butt on the turf every play you can. Thats how you slow a guy down. Its better to show blitz and drop guys sending only 3 or 4 at masoli then to try to out blitz them. 

Ham schemes for banks very well. Dbs gotta fight through blocks and make him pay a price when he tries to go over the middle.  

Edited by wbbfan

Some Interesting stats for the bombers and cats. 

5 games in the cats are tied for the most Yards Per Carry given up on defense. Tied with the argos, the only team to give up more rushing yards then the cats. The bombers have given up the fewest yards by a mile, and the 2nd fewest YPC against. We have also not given up a rushing TD yet. 

The Pass D is remarkably similar for the cats and bombers. 1393-1330 passing yards against, 56.1 - 59.1 completion % against, 7.1-7.8 YPA, 4tds-8ints and 2tds-4ints. (the first stat in each category is the bombers number) 

The cats have 18 picks on D this year to the bombers 9. 

The bombers have the 2nd best rushing attack in the cfl, while the cats are 6th. The cats have the 2nd most passing yards and we have the 2nd fewest. 

Its a battle of the 2 best punt return teams, and 2 of the 3 best kick off return teams. 

A big factor will be the bombers are top 3 in avg and net avg punting where the cats are 7th and 5th respectively. 

hamilton have given up the 2nd fewest sacks and we have the 3rd fewest. 

The keys for us will be pounding the ball, limiting the pressure the cats get on nichols, and protecting the ball. Our special teams and run game look poised to win the field position battles. This one should come down to pressure and turn overs. 

Don’t know where to put this, but I went and watched Wolitarsky’s set at Earl’s tonight.

First off, he was actually super good.

Second, him and Streveler were super stoked that my buddy Ray and I had their jerseys.

Thirdly, Matthews was there and looked very unstabbed. Good turnout - Strev, Demski, Willie, Stove (played a couple songs), Lawler, Sayles, Humes, Speller, Lucky, Rose, Nelson (walking boot) and Petermann all showed to support.

8 minutes ago, Mike said:

Don’t know where to put this, but I went and watched Wolitarsky’s set at Earl’s tonight.

Second, him and Streveler were super stoked that my buddy Ray and I had their jerseys.

Thirdly, Matthews was there and looked very unstabbed. Good turnout - Strev, Demski, Willie, Stove (played a couple songs), Lawler, Sayles, Humes, Speller, Lucky, Rose, Nelson (walking boot) and Petermann all showed to support.

His guitar celebration is the best TD celebration

Both sides of the ball hanging out! Excellent!

Edited by Geebrr

19 hours ago, Fraser said:

I'm going to be enjoying this game in club section 10. It's been awhile since I've been to a game, can anyone advise me if there might be some kind of popular chant that combines both telling people what you would prefer to be and cursing?

We had a good chant at the old stadium in the 1980’s every time the Bombers scored a TD:

“Cigarettes and ashes, cigarettes and butts”

“We’ve got the Ticats by the nuts!” (Team name can be adjusted for whomever your opponent is)

“Squeeeeze ‘em!  Squeeeeze ‘em! Squeeeeze ‘em!” (With the appropriate hand gesture - raising your hand high and making a fist like you are picking an apple and crushing it between your fingers)

“And kick ‘em in the cup, too!!!!”

Unfortunately, with the demonization of smoking and the censure of Gainer Gopher over similar actions last weekend, this chant may be too un-PC for a general audience. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Thirdly, Matthews was there and looked very unstabbed.

I really didn't want to touch this nonsense with a ten foot pole...but since I'm a fan of both deductive reasoning and working within the land of what seems plausible...given the information that seems to closest to facts or from believable sources, I'd be willing to put a small amount of money down that Matthews got pushed into something sharp like the corner of a stainless steel table or some variation of, and suffered a slightly worse than minor laceration on his back.

I had supper once at La Roca, I don't remember the decor or the sharpness thereof, I do remember that it got a lot louder and a bit douchier as the evening went on.  So we left and had a couple of growlers of 1919.

I think there was a brief clip of Woogie playing guitar in one of the TSN segments last year.  Decent enough from what I recall.  If he had played at Boston Pizza tonight instead I would have been able to enjoy it and he would have been annoyed at the number of kids yelling from my table.

8 hours ago, Mike said:

A little un related but I met Marcus Sayles last year at the home opener. My sister met him on tinder and gave her free tickets to the game, so naturally she took her big brother lol it was probably a bit of a surprise to him when he saw her with another guy. He invited us to an after party after the game but we declined! Nice guy. 

2 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

A little un related but I met Marcus Sayles last year at the home opener. My sister met him on tinder and gave her free tickets to the game, so naturally she took her big brother lol it was probably a bit of a surprise to him when he saw her with another guy. He invited us to an after party after the game but we declined! Nice guy. 

I'm going to need your sister's Tinder profile to verify the above!