Freight Train at Fullback

Original Story Here

Here are a couple of comments about Fitzgerald (and more specifically how Crowton is aware and adapting to having to protect Pierce - or any of our QBs - this season):

Crowton's made some major changes to the playbook to try and protect QB Buck Pierce and having a fullback that can handle defensive linemen in pass protection is key.

"We need a guy that can be physical and stand up to D-linemen coming his way," said Crowton. "We're trying to develop him. He's got a big 'ol body and he's physical. We want competition at the position. If he can get there, great. If not, he's going to push the others.

"He reminds me of Dennis Pitta from the Baltimore Ravens, who I had at BYU. He was a receiver and then I fattened him up and moved him inside and now he's doing great in the NFL. Daniel Coats (Denver Broncos) and Ed Dickson did the same thing in Baltimore. He's not going to be a running fullback but a guy that can block the perimeter and still take part in the passing game. Carl should give us some options with his size, his ability to run routes and his hands. He's going to hit people and that's what got him here more than anything else.

I also think that a guy of his size, if he uses his body right, can be a huge asset in terms of creating mismatches down the seam. Huge physical target that *should* be able to take advantage of the smaller DBs / LBs across the league.

Original Story Here

Here are a couple of comments about Fitzgerald (and more specifically how Crowton is aware and adapting to having to protect Pierce - or any of our QBs - this season):

Crowton's made some major changes to the playbook to try and protect QB Buck Pierce and having a fullback that can handle defensive linemen in pass protection is key.

"We need a guy that can be physical and stand up to D-linemen coming his way," said Crowton. "We're trying to develop him. He's got a big 'ol body and he's physical. We want competition at the position. If he can get there, great. If not, he's going to push the others.

"He reminds me of Dennis Pitta from the Baltimore Ravens, who I had at BYU. He was a receiver and then I fattened him up and moved him inside and now he's doing great in the NFL. Daniel Coats (Denver Broncos) and Ed Dickson did the same thing in Baltimore. He's not going to be a running fullback but a guy that can block the perimeter and still take part in the passing game. Carl should give us some options with his size, his ability to run routes and his hands. He's going to hit people and that's what got him here more than anything else.

I also think that a guy of his size, if he uses his body right, can be a huge asset in terms of creating mismatches down the seam. Huge physical target that *should* be able to take advantage of the smaller DBs / LBs across the league.

with offenses gearing away from the run game and thus defenses turning into smaller, more agile DBs and OLBs, I agree.. I think Fitz (if he catches on quickly) can become a great weapon on the goal line and for short stuff with height and size. Hopefully he is strong on the ball as well and can fight off the smallish defenders.. I always find it funny how the CFL offenses/defenses always keep evolving from run heavy to pass heavy and ditto defenses, bigger LBs and better run support DBS then smaller LBS and quicker DBs.. Wonder when run heavy will become the norm again..