CFL Commentators and Personalities

18 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Define "vile". Does it involve domestic livestock, peanut butter, trapezes, and/or mechanical devices? Asking for a friend.

Oh geez tracker, I almost left the comment up here. 

By golly, I’m bilingual, English and Vulgarian.

Edited by Rod Black

2 hours ago, Jerry1377 said:

Suitor seems to be have a man-crush on whomever the bombers are playing, or is it just me? Has he ever explained his famous "oh NO!" when Stegall Made "The Catch"?

I never thought of that as "Oh no the Bombers are going to win!"

It was more like "Oh no what a disaster for the Esks and those poor defensive backs!" More of a display of sympathy for the huge screwup than disappointment that the team he hates was going to win, IMO.

6 hours ago, Wideleft said:

Caught the Argos home broadcast on Sirius about 2 weeks ago and Schultzy was doing colour.  He sounded VERY depressed.

So, after showing an empty chair on set for a year & a half like they were keeping the home fires burning for Schultz, TSN just fired him.  I read a story on Argos website where he knew his time was coming to an end on TSN.  Before his demise, Schultz approached MLSE to see if they were looking for an Argos  radio broadcast analyst & it turned out they were. Jeff Johnson was leaving.  Like, go figure TSN.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

So, after showing an empty chair on set for a year & a half like they were keeping the home fires burning for Schultz, TSN just fired him.  I read a story on Argos website where he knew his time was coming to an end on TSN.  Before his demise, Schultz approached MLSE to see if they were looking for an Argos  radio broadcast analyst & it turned out they were. Jeff Johnson was leaving.  Like, go figure TSN.

I thought Schultz had family issues and that was why he was away for the year? 

27 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I thought Schultz had family issues and that was why he was away for the year? 

At some point he came back & he was about to be fired.  The story said that when he came back from sick leave that his CFL responsibilities were taken away & he was spending less & less time on the NFL as time went on. He could see the writing on the wall which is why he approached MLSE. Working for MLSE may mean further career opportunities for Schultz in the future. Perhaps management?

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Fixing the fans in the stands issue won't happen using old technologies.

Blackouts? Even if they could, anyone under the age of 60 could find a work around.

No one reads local papers or watches local TV to get their sports fix. It's the internet age.

You can't move the stadium.

Public transport only goes so far and most stadiums already have it anyway.

Increasing ticket, parking, booze, food prices to make up the losses actually hurts attendance.

The CFL ignored an entire generation while watching it's fan base get older and older. They're paying for that now.

21 hours ago, Noeller said:

In fairness, so does Sara Orlesky (worse, maybe....) and people go nuts for her like she's the greatest broadcaster ever. I just don't get it...

I suppose that's true but they serve different purposes... Orlesky provides updates while Sanchez provides analysis... there's probably a different standard... 

22 hours ago, PegCityBlueBombers said:

I really miss the CBC days when Mark Lee was doing games. I wish there was a way TSN could pry him away from CBC so he could do the games Cuthbert doesn't do.

One of the plays I vividly remember him calling was the 2004 playoff game between BC and the Riders. Elijah Thurmon caught a late game TD and his dramatic call was great.

Going to disagree on Mark Lee here, although my issues with him were more on the hockey side than football.

Cuthbert is the best there is and second isn't close and it sure as hell ain't Rod Black.

On 2019-07-18 at 3:19 PM, Jerry1377 said:

1. Just curious, who else here can’t stand to see “Dirty” Davis Sanchez involved on the panel?

When that dude was playing, he took arrogant to a new level. Dirty hits, bad attitude.

In fact, I’m always hoping for Stegall to shut his mouth and mention how he hit with the intent to injure.

2. Thankfully, we don’t have Jock (God’s gift to everything”) Climie on the panel anymore.

What happened to Shultz?

I’m ok with Cuthbert and Ford, Dunnigan of course calling the game. 

3. Suitor seems to be have a man-crush on whomever the bombers are playing, or is it just me? Has he ever explained his famous "oh NO!" when Stegall Made "The Catch"?

1. Me. Can't stand him every time he opens his mouth.

2. Agreed. Climie sucked.

3. I never liked the "oh NO!" either but have been told it's actually Cuthbert saying it. Still don't like it though.