Ottawa Redblacks In Town Part 2

42 minutes ago, Atomic said:

He is technically not a healthy scratch because he is still on the injured list. I'll be shocked if he isn't in the lineup next week. Just being cautious and giving him lots of practice time before reinserting him into the lineup.

We definitely need him for the TiCats game for sure

4 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

I can’t imagine we’d be sitting Matthews if he’s ready to play. Slow start to the season or not, we’ll need a productive Matthews for our O to play to its full potential. 

Seems to be a trend that even if you see a guy running around in practice he doesn't come back till one week later.

I assume it's just MOS being cautious.  They did the same with Bighill last week.  In an interview he did, Bighill acknowledged that not playing was a coaches decision, even if he felt he could go.

“I understand if he says, ‘hey I feel comfortable with you just not playing,'” Bighill said. “I guess I do understand that. So I prepare like I’m going to play, and even though I haven’t practiced, I’ve gone through a rehab protocol and I’ve been leveling up through that."

8 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Not on the roster coming off an injury and you think that means healthy scratch?

@Darrinbauming "Mike O’Shea doesn’t like the term “healthy scratch.” But that is what Chris Matthews is this week for the #Bombers. O’Shea adds that one week’s roster isn’t indicative of anything other than just that, and Matthews will be a big part of their season moving forward." https://t.co/MRF6IljkUT

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Yeah, I'm thinking it's less disparaging than we're assuming. "Healthy" scratch is more like it. He felt he was ready and coaches wanted to give him another week to be 100%....more likely.

This, plus I feel like maybe their giving Lawler another shot to either show up, or he'll be shipped out.  Guy has had opportunities to make plays and just hasnt. Which is too bad, I like his style of play but it just hasnt worked out  very well yet.

34 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

This, plus I feel like maybe their giving Lawler another shot to either show up, or he'll be shipped out.  Guy has had opportunities to make plays and just hasnt. Which is too bad, I like his style of play but it just hasnt worked out  very well yet.

That's not fair.... He did make that great catch across the middle....  Then celebrated too early, got tackled and fumbled the ball.  That was "making a play".

6 Straight at Home?: The Bombers look for their 6th consecutive home win - the last time they did that was in 2002-03.

The Blue Bombers have won the last matchups as well 5 of the last 6 vs Ottawa. All 5 wins have come with Matt Nichols at QB - overall however he is 5-4 vs the REDBLACKS for the Bombers. Two weeks ago, The Bombers won 29-14 in Ottawa and seek to sweep the series for the first time since 2017.

Nichols vs Jennings: They have started against one another 6 times with Nichols coming out on top in 5.

Jennings has had 3 of his best 6 career performances come against Winnipeg (422, 408 & 372 yards).

The Bombers have trailed for a grand total of just 9 minutes & 24 seconds all season long (vs BC in Week #1). Their scoring edge thus far in the first 15:00 of games is 42-7.

Game Notes...

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

He honest to God thought he was down. I will give him slack for that once.

Agreed, not to mention he laid out for a pass over the middle later in the game and got throttled. Effort level is there, he seems to be a serviceable extra import WR at this point with some room to grow.

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

Thomas Miles starting at MLB?

Scary. Especially with John Crockett getting the start for Ottawa. Big back with some wheels. Ran over the Alouettes last game in a second fiddle roll. Hopefully the d-line does their thing and he doesn't get to the second level very often tomorrow.