Ottawa Redblacks In Town Part 2

32 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Except of course for the fact that the problem in the west final was more the game plan than Nichols.

you're kind of proving his point... I agree that the game plan was bad and Calgary out-coached the Bombers in every facet... but to suggest Nichols played good in that game is ridiculous....

37 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Except of course for the fact that the problem in the west final was more the game plan than Nichols.

I’m not getting into this again but there can be more than one factor contributing to a loss. You can’t complete less than 50% of your passes in a game and not share some of the blame. 

40 minutes ago, bearpants said:

you're kind of proving his point... I agree that the game plan was bad and Calgary out-coached the Bombers in every facet... but to suggest Nichols played good in that game is ridiculous....

I don't recall saying he played well... hunting didn't leave the stadium thinking that boy Nichols ****** us over, I left the stadium thinking "how the hell did they expect to win waiting for mistakes from Calgary?" They brought the same do nothing offensive game plan they had against Saskatchewan. They didn't give the offense a chance to have any success barring Harris single handedly beating a tough defense like Calgary had last year.

8 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I don't recall saying he played well... hunting didn't leave the stadium thinking that boy Nichols ****** us over, I left the stadium thinking "how the hell did they expect to win waiting for mistakes from Calgary?" They brought the same do nothing offensive game plan they had against Saskatchewan. They didn't give the offense a chance to have any success barring Harris single handedly beating a tough defense like Calgary had last year.

Maybe it was hard for them to make a game plan around matts consistent bad throws last year (?)..... jus a thought 

Oh there was enough to blame in that Western Final, to go around, and Nichols needs to assume his share. But it starts with play calling because the QB has to follow those reads of that play. 

Calgary had a great defence last year and an even better game plan against us. You’d think that LaPolice would have expected that. But we ran the same offence as the Calgary defence expected. No Streveler packages to speak of, no misdirection, just same old, same old. 

Listen, I’m no defensive guru, but when I know what’s coming from out offence, then surely Calgary did...and they did.

It was a decent defensive game, but we couldn’t stop Mitchell to Rogers (6 rec 3 TDs) and that was enough. Our crappy 3 yard passes to get 6 yards wouldn’t fool anybody, whether that came from Nichols or LaPolice.

It was a winnable game..we just got out Coached IMO.

If we can get back on track a bit.......

Today is the Bombers last practice of the week (they took Monday off and are doing walk-through tomorrow) and it's a closed-practice, so we won't know much about injuries until probably right around game time. Tomorrow's depth chart will have a couple answers, but as per usual with MOS, there'll be some guessing until just about kickoff....

2 hours ago, Mark F said:

I noticed that the bombers blitz by a defensive back off the end worked a lot better last game.

Anyone else notice this?

But they sure don't try to disguise it at all.

TSN even called it out that they weren't trying to disguise it at all.   

Jeff Hecht tells me he’s good to go Friday vs the #RedBlacks. Chris Matthews told me the same, adding he’s excited as it feels like his #Bombers debut once again. Mike O’Shea says all players battling nicks and bumps are “good,” but will not make a determination on anyone.

Well, playing through different scenarios in my mind on how this game could shape up, could be one of the two:

1. Best case: Whitehead or Nelson's special teams play or Nichols deep ball sends this team roaring out to another big early lead with an Argo smoke finish

2. Worst case: I could see where maybe the script changes a little for us and maybe we start out slow this time.  It's not always easy to start every week on fire and a slow one will come sooner or later.  But, Redblacks after changing the QB get a false sense of hope.  Jennings comes out with a few good throws early hitting some passes to RJ Harris or Caleb Holley.  Game is close at halftime and Ottawa thinks they have a chance.

BUT .... Then as the second half gets going and Jennings has a chance to get a lead or tying drive, he throws a big pick to Winston Rose or Jeff Hecht.  Bomber defense once again steals all momentum and from there on out, the 2015-2016 Jennings that everyone thought was back disappears, and the bad one of the last two years is back again.

My take anyway.

4 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Bauming on 1290 right now saying speculation is that Matthews is a healthy scratch.

That doesn't make any sense, unless there's some weird off-field stuff that hasn't come to light...

10 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Bauming on 1290 right now saying speculation is that Matthews is a healthy scratch.

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

That doesn't make any sense, unless there's some weird off-field stuff that hasn't come to light...

Ya, gonna call BS on him being a healthy scratch. It's not like Lawler was great in his place.  Matthews said he was good to go, but players always say that. I'm sure Bighill would have said that too the last couple weeks.