Rivalries, Late Starts, & Game Days - Attendance

Mr Dee

5 hours ago, Brandon said:

I don't **** on the Bombers for any reason.   It's not an ideal location for many people and I believe this is one of the reasons for why the attendance is going down.  

The team is playing fantastic ball, the weather has been great,   the stadium itself is beautiful,   the game day atmosphere is great....  so what reasons do you have on why the struggles with the attendance in comparison to the old stadium?  

Less money and free time with more sports teams in the city, prices, local blackouts gone, are all huge factors.

The traffic is no worse than Polo, the location is an easy excuse.

We have been over this

9 hours ago, Brandon said:

I live in the North and it takes 45 minutes using park and ride in an uncomfortable school bus.  

Compared to the old location which was 20 minutes and I could drive in comfort and then be able to either go home or anywhere in town in a breeze without a traffic jam.   Huge difference.    It's not my opinion it's fact.   

That is not a fact if you parked at Polo Park, which the majority of people did. 

I've been stuck nearly every time using a school bus.  I'm not a large guy by any means but it's extremely uncomfortable.  I used to go with my dad but he's sick now and no way could he travel in one of those buses.  The parking price isn't the issue it's the massive line ups and extremely slow traffic getting in and out.   

Had they put it say somewhere like St Boniface it would of been gold because anyone in town could get in and out without having to wait forever to get to the game.    

Anyone who says location isn't an issue is only fooling themselves.   

It is 20 minutes to get out by bus. I don't know what you expect with 25k people all leaving an area at the same time.

This argument is cry baby nonsense.

Have you ever been to a Jets game and drove home? Do you think that is fast? Put twice as many people there.

You are delusional.

Edited by Geebrr

On a good day with no traffic it still takes 30 - 35 minutes to drive straight to the university.   

At that point I'd either have to park inside and pay the few dollars but wait forever to get in and out ,  or I can park off Pembina and do the walk.  For myself it's easy but my dad is handicap now so it's not an option for him unless I get him a wheel chair.  

At Polo I could either pay to park close or park at the mall and walk 5 minutes and then immediately drive home with barely any wait.   

Your memory is flawed, Polo Park was a nightmare for any crowd in the mid 20s

All I do is grab 1 beer after the game. Walk to the car. Wait in the line to get out for about 5-10 minutes and then I'm home. I live next to polo. It takes us 20-30 minutes to get home from the time we get into our vehicle. I'd challenge anyone to get to polo from u of m faster during any time of the week.

Getting in and out excuse is legit people who went once or twice during year 1 and haven't been  back. It's just not an issue anymore.

6 hours ago, Brandon said:

I don't **** on the Bombers for any reason.   It's not an ideal location for many people and I believe this is one of the reasons for why the attendance is going down.  

The team is playing fantastic ball, the weather has been great,   the stadium itself is beautiful,   the game day atmosphere is great....  so what reasons do you have on why the struggles with the attendance in comparison to the old stadium?  

Attendance is no worse than it was at Canad Inns. This is 100% false. Let's not forget when we were getting 21K for a playoff game. 24-27k was a typical crowd at Canad Inns and we're still hovering around those same numbers. False narrative.

7 hours ago, Brandon said:

There are obviously exceptions to the rule. It’s just something I’ve noticed. 

10 hours ago, Brandon said:

On a good day with no traffic it still takes 30 - 35 minutes to drive straight to the university.   

At that point I'd either have to park inside and pay the few dollars but wait forever to get in and out ,  or I can park off Pembina and do the walk.  For myself it's easy but my dad is handicap now so it's not an option for him unless I get him a wheel chair.  

At Polo I could either pay to park close or park at the mall and walk 5 minutes and then immediately drive home with barely any wait.   

so how is that different then on a good day I had to drive 25-25 minutes to get to the game on a good day...then "hope" to find parking relatively close on a side street to avoid a 15 minute walk.

And not sure how you avoided hardly any traffic but what I remember was bumper to bumper...on basically all one lane streets....yet you never heard anyone complain

But people complain now, and it's basically the people whom the convenience of location is no longer convenient....can't appease everyone.

I have gone several ways from Southdale...used the park and ride and got thee in like 15 minutes...and on way back....never more than 20...25

'I drive also...parked in the economy...took my 15 minutes basically from by the walmart on fermor where i live took me 15 to 20 to get there...have walked from the economy (15 mins) and took the shuttle they offer...(minutes)  and to get home the drive usually takes anywhere from 20..to 40 minutes on a bad day...never was it that handy and fast at polo

7 hours ago, Brandon said:

More competition for entertainment dollar, ease of watching at home (cable/streams/internet) price point of some seats...something easily changed and I bet you see a huge uptick in sales...aging fan base whom maybe some now can't go like before (regardless of where stadium is) and actually IGF is probably more accessible and handicapped/geriatric friendly than the old dump was...many factors play into decline in attendance...least of which is location.

Working in the Civil/Municipal infrastructure and planning field I can tell you that area and the areas to the east and west of the stadium south of Bishop is where all the (well majority) of new development is going, and where the infrastructure and money is being allocated, thats residential and commercial so in time the stadium is going to be center to he majority of the entertainment spending public

Also if the restaurants in close proximity were smart they would offer what shuttles like in stadiums in the States when I played...they promo it to pregame there and offer shuttle service to the games...pretty easy and effective way to bring patron's to your establishment that are game attenders..

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

Your memory is flawed, Polo Park was a nightmare for any crowd in the mid 20s

I was in my mid 20's and it was not a nightmare.   Many a times we stumbled over from Hooters with only a few minute walk.    Centralized location made it easy to go to other places after the game.  

The only *nightmares* would be the stadium itself.

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

All I do is grab 1 beer after the game. Walk to the car. Wait in the line to get out for about 5-10 minutes and then I'm home. I live next to polo. It takes us 20-30 minutes to get home from the time we get into our vehicle. I'd challenge anyone to get to polo from u of m faster during any time of the week.

Getting in and out excuse is legit people who went once or twice during year 1 and haven't been  back. It's just not an issue anymore.

How do you get one beer after the game when they stop selling at the end of the third quarter ?

5 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I was in my mid 20's and it was not a nightmare.   Many a times we stumbled over from Hooters with only a few minute walk.    Centralized location made it easy to go to other places after the game.  

The only *nightmares* would be the stadium itself.

Mid 20ks.

I'm glad it was an easier trip for you, I grew up in West St James and driving down Ness, or Portage, when you could eventually get on it was a nightmare. 

After getting out of the impossible traffic of Polo Park 

52 minutes ago, Booch said:

More competition for entertainment dollar, ease of watching at home (cable/streams/internet) price point of some seats...something easily changed and I bet you see a huge uptick in sales...aging fan base whom maybe some now can't go like before (regardless of where stadium is) and actually IGF is probably more accessible and handicapped/geriatric friendly than the old dump was...many factors play into decline in attendance...least of which is location.

Working in the Civil/Municipal infrastructure and planning field I can tell you that area and the areas to the east and west of the stadium south of Bishop is where all the (well majority) of new development is going, and where the infrastructure and money is being allocated, thats residential and commercial so in time the stadium is going to be center to he majority of the entertainment spending public

Also if the restaurants in close proximity were smart they would offer what shuttles like in stadiums in the States when I played...they promo it to pregame there and offer shuttle service to the games...pretty easy and effective way to bring patron's to your establishment that are game attenders..

A fair number of restaurants do shuttles.

Their is a loading zone that drops you off at the door step, it has a name.

29 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

How do you get one beer after the game when they stop selling at the end of the third quarter ?

The rum hut and vodka lounge are open after the game. 

Pro tip....theres never a line up in the vodka lounge. And they serve everything the rum hut does

Edited by Bigblue204

8 hours ago, Brandon said:

People just don’t care about the CFL like they used to. It’s sad but attendance around the league is down. 

The age of the Internet is changing everything, we have more choices and much more competition for our time, dollars and attention.  Going to a game takes a commitment of time and money, much easier to flick on the tube and play video games or watch anything, anytime on specialty channels such as Netflix.  It's not like the old days when we had a few channels to choose from and no choice but to follow their broadcast schedule, at least back then we had a rudimentary understanding that spending excessive time in front of the tube was a bad habit and a waste of time.

2 hours ago, Booch said:

So do you have any inside info on when the Bishop Grandin pedestrian overpass over Pembina is finally going to be built? 🙂

1 hour ago, nate007 said:

So do you have any inside info on when the Bishop Grandin pedestrian overpass over Pembina is finally going to be built? 🙂

HAHAHA....they after studies..and money put into studies and design for it...the city kiboshed it for stupid reasons...stupid city...I actually worked on the design for it...was to tie into the pathway we did all along bishop and up kenaston up to the Costco

Edited by Booch

3 hours ago, Geebrr said:

Mid 20ks.

I'm glad it was an easier trip for you, I grew up in West St James and driving down Ness, or Portage, when you could eventually get on it was a nightmare. 

After getting out of the impossible traffic of Polo Park 

Listening to Cactus made any drive home tolerable.