Week 5 Takeaways

In b4 a certain TiCats fan plagiarizes this again lol

But let's get to it

1. Willie Jefferson was really onto something when he brought up the smoke thing, cuz there was a ton of it this last Friday, and IGF was rocking

2. BC has to be the most excruciating team to watch on national TV.  Man, just all around raddy and awful the way they got things on the sideline and field.  Lions fans, I'm sorry but I don't think it's going to get better any time real soon.

3. Edmonton is the league's win but without excitement team

4. Toronto is still in the cellar, but hey at least they finally figured out how to throw to D. Walker, they should try it more

5. Ottawa is still 2-2, but Dom Davis and Chris Randle are headed for trouble if they don't get it straightened out.  Almost Jonathon Jennings time

6. Montreal is the dark horse who you had better not diss.  Bombers had better be careful not to get caught in a trap game when we go to their house.  2-2 and getting better.

7. The Nick Arbuckle train got derailed as did the Roberson one.  Stampeder fan nation in a meltdown.

8. Despite the incompetence of Masoli and Hajrallahu, the TiCats showed why you shouldn't say they're done based on one fluke Stanback game.  Best in the East by far still.  Good thing Jamie Nye the not so science guy wasn't able to jinx this one.

9. The Riders were off thank god

Edited by USABomberfan

Bombers. The best until further notice.

Eskimos. Second until further notice.

Cats. Questions remain (abound?) But they showed some cobbles last night when it mattered. 

Redblacks.  Water finding it's level.

Stamps. Arbuckle played more than well enough to win. Betrayed by lazy drops and turnovers. They'll be fine.

Larks. Vital signs restored ? Seems like it. Need a good western test.

Lions.  Feel good story of the preseason. Then season started. New narratives written and all them horrible.

Argos. Chamblin lost this team in pre season. Sloppy,  unfocused play is an indictment of him.

Bombers - Beating up bad teams + Edmonton

Ticats - Beating up bad teams + Calgary

Eskimos - Beating up bad teams only

Stamps - Getting better, but not there yet

Als - Surprisingly 2nd in the east. Almost out of the bad teams category. GM'd by Joe Mack!😯

Redblacks - Looked horrible this week. The shine is off of Dom. JJ anyone?

Riders - Best of the worst teams

Lions - 99 problems starting with the OC

Argos - 100 problems

16 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

Arbuckle played way way better than Masoli. The Stamps were let down by Eric Rogers (and others) drops and the two fumbles. 

I don't suppose there is any word on BLM's injury but I expect the team will regain form once he finally returns.  With their poor start there is little chance they will be able to catch the Bombers in the standings, it's super important the Bombers kick their butts as well as the Esks. head to head and in the playoffs establishing dominance, if they can accomplish these goals throughout the season, taking the G.C. should be a cake-walk.

Bombers
Some slack in 2nd half of latest win, but has the least question marks of any....

Ticats
Beat a legit team, that played poorly, but point are points, any way you get them

Eskimos
Pass rush, QB and O good enough, the rest questionable

Stamps
Took step backwards, no way they should lose that one, last nite

Als
Kahari has them pulling in same direction, their young QB moving forward

Redblacks
D still not looking good, their young QB going backwards

Riders
Interesting to see what changes/adjustments moving forward. Need a bunch.

Lions
Good QB, terrible OL, bad coaching, Bad D, no mojo

Argos
Hard to be worse than the Lions....but TO has managed it, so far

Edmonton- own the season series with BC. That was easy. They also manhandled Reilly again. Didn’t think I’d see that again..Poor tackling by the Lions helped Edmonton’s game, but they were the better team.

BC - really only have 1 chance left to make the playoffs, next Saturday night, in Saskatchewan, against the Riders. 

Saskatchewan, on the bye week, must see the same thing on their schedule. A must win next Saturday. They have the better team, overall, but certainly not unbeatable. Fajardo vs Reilly. Right there it seems like a mismatch, but the Riders are on home ground and have a better defence(?) Still, they have a rookie, non-aggressive Coach who’s going up another rookie Coach who’s finding it much tougher to Coach the whole shebang.

Winnipeg highlights - Nichols, Whitehead, Harris, ST tackling and blocking and kicking and D-Line. It goes on..

Toronto- McLoed B-Thompson had his best game. It was no coincidence that it was because they featured Derel Walker as a target. 9 receptions for 188 yards. The guy is just flat out good. Other than that..well, there is no ‘other.’

Montreal- Vernon Adams staking his claim for QB. Good on him. Bray and Stanback, Lewis give him support. Tommie Campbell led a tougher defence.

Ottawa - another whoopsie for Dominique Davis. But that’s to be expected from a rookie QB. They have to feature Sinopoli more in their offence, but I don’t see much on their roster at this point, and now they visit the Bombers..

Hamilton - Brandon Banks won that game for them as Masoli roller-coated from hot to cold. 2 ST return TDs didn’t hurt. Timely responses for TDs kept this game alive for the Ticats.

Calgary - Can you say Begelton? 8 for 119 yards kept it close for Calgary. No miracle win for Arbuckle this week, but he still gave them a chance to win. Not his fault some receivers forgot how to catch.

Winnipeg and Edmonton are tops

Calgary and Hamilton are good but not great

Montreal may be the dark horse at this point

Ottawa and Sask together as the extremely mediocre teams

Toronto might actually end up being better than BC as time goes on. BC seems to be fading hard

6 minutes ago, BBlink said:

Toronto might actually end up being better than BC as time goes on. BC seems to be fading hard

power rankings are stupid, but I think that BC belongs at the bottom of any power rankings this week. They just looked flat and disinterested against Edmonton, while the Argos still showed some fight even after it was 31-0.

35 minutes ago, johnzo said:

power rankings are stupid, but I think that BC belongs at the bottom of any power rankings this week. They just looked flat and disinterested against Edmonton, while the Argos still showed some fight even after it was 31-0.

I wouldn't put that as a plus in the Argos favour. They were so disinterested and unprepared to play that the score was 31-0 before they even showed up. Bombers took the foot off the gas massively and Toronto scored some points in garbage time (which lasted longer than non garbage time) that doesn't mean Toronto wasn't still an embarrassment. 

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

Edmonton- own the season series with BC. That was easy. They also manhandled Reilly again. Didn’t think I’d see that again..Poor tackling by the Lions helped Edmonton’s game, but they were the better team.

BC - really only have 1 chance left to make the playoffs, next Saturday night, in Saskatchewan, against the Riders. 

Saskatchewan, on the bye week, must see the same thing on their schedule. A must win next Saturday. They have the better team, overall, but certainly not unbeatable. Fajardo vs Reilly. Right there it seems like a mismatch, but the Riders are on home ground and have a better defence(?) Still, they have a rookie, non-aggressive Coach who’s going up another rookie Coach who’s finding it much tougher to Coach the whole shebang.

Winnipeg highlights - Nichols, Whitehead, Harris, ST tackling and blocking and kicking and D-Line. It goes on..

Toronto- McLoed B-Thompson had his best game. It was no coincidence that it was because they featured Derel Walker as a target. 9 receptions for 188 yards. The guy is just flat out good. Other than that..well, there is no ‘other.’

Montreal- Vernon Adams staking his claim for QB. Good on him. Bray and Stanback, Lewis give him support. Tommie Campbell led a tougher defence.

Ottawa - another whoopsie for Dominique Davis. But that’s to be expected from a rookie QB. They have to feature Sinopoli more in their offence, but I don’t see much on their roster at this point, and now they visit the Bombers..

Hamilton - Brandon Banks won that game for them as Masoli roller-coated from hot to cold. 2 ST return TDs didn’t hurt. Timely responses for TDs kept this game alive for the Ticats.

Calgary - Can you say Begelton? 8 for 119 yards kept it close for Calgary. No miracle win for Arbuckle this week, but he still gave them a chance to win. Not his fault some receivers forgot how to catch.

Davis is not a rookie. he is just flat-out baaad.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

Davis is not a rookie. he is just flat-out baaad.

Oh man, interesting you caught that tracker and here I missed it.

Yeah, looks more like the Dom Davis we all knew has returned.  I think our defense kinda brought him back down the week before.

3 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

Also, just caught the Breaking news that Kavis Reed's butt got fired.  Montreal just got better and Khari is safe.

Disagree with your assessment of Arbuckle. He played well & his receivers did not. So many dropped passes & fumbles. Special teams cover teams were awful. Arbuckle played well enough to win. Other areas of concern on that team.