Argos at Bombers - Game Day

5 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Do I agree with MOS that we could have been better in the second half? Yes. Do I agree with Doug Brown that those kind of games are tough when the last 40 minutes are garbage time? Yes. Let's focus on the fact that we are 4-0 for the first time since 2003 and still have room for improvement.

Yeah 4-0 is nice and might have benefits down the road in terms of seeding.  Really what they are building towards is the ability to beat Edmonton and Calgary in November.  To do that there can be no “letting the foot off the pedal.”

Just now, Mr. Perfect said:

Rewatching the game, I'll preface this comment by acknowledging he's never played tackle before last night but Speller was ugly at right tackle. Hopefully Hardrick is good for next Friday. Desjarlais almost got Nichols killed just before the ens of the first half as well.

If Hardrick is not good to go, McGloster will be at RT and Speller back at LG. 

8 minutes ago, Mr. Perfect said:

Rewatching the game, I'll preface this comment by acknowledging he's never played tackle before last night but Speller was ugly at right tackle. Hopefully Hardrick is good for next Friday. Desjarlais almost got Nichols killed just before the ens of the first half as well.

I’m surprised we didn’t give Gray a go at tackle. I don’t think he really could’ve been worse than Speller. 

When we lost Hardrick ( and to me it didn't look too bad hope it's just precautionary ) we ended up running with 4 Canadian o'linemen that have very little experience. Do we call Gray a rookie?? If so, we had 3 rookies and Couture who is in his first season as a full-time guy. Absolutely there were some painful moments, the Desjarlais play comes right to mind., but overall I thought our o'line played pretty good. Not sure where Speller normally plays, but o'line is all about footwork, and moving from guard to tackle is huge, but moving from right side to left is even huger! Hats off to our o'line coach.

58 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

Laing was giving some of the guys trouble, but that's how you get better; by facing strong opposition. Was it Speller who replaced Hardrick? If so, good job.

Speller went in initially and took that procedure penalty right away. Didn’t get off to a good start but having never played the position thought it was better than what B.C. has...

35 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Any updates on Neuf?

I’m of the opinion that Neuf is fine and being hid there for injury insurance reasons. 

I would be very surprised is Hardrick doesn’t practice this week and play against OTT. Maybe gets a maintenance day or 2 but he plays. As a matter of fact, if Hardrick doesn’t  play next Friday I’ll buy a round for the first 6 people to call me out on this prediction. 

He’s fine. Did you guys not see him coaching the rest of the game? Man I want to hear his locker room talk before a game. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Perfect said:

The play calling does those guys no favours when it’s straight dropbacks, by far the highest degree of difficulty for pass blocking, also not much running which doesn’t encourage physical engagement.

What was encouraging was seeing Nichols hitting some long passes for big yards- it looks like he is getting used to having receivers who can get deep fast. All things considered, the Bomber O-line did pretty well against a decent Argo D-line and can only get better. The receivers made some very nice catches. However, we need to get Fenner assessed for bi-polar disorder. Two weeks ago, he looked like he would struggle against high school  receivers, looked very good last game and reverted to pathetic again. If he is playing defence only every second game, he ought to have his salary cut by 50%. It didn't help that Derek Jones looked even worse. Streveler continues to think run first if his first read doesn't look good, but he threw a couple of nice passes, which is encouraging. As dominant as the Bombers were in the first half, they looked mediocre in the second on offence. This concerns me because if the Bombers cannot continue to fade in the last halves of games because it can persist into close games, leading to losses. There has to be a certain mentality in good teams where they do not let up because they are ahead. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Perfect said:

Thank you... I was starting to think I was crazy. Speller was ******* awful. There was one play where it looked like he didn't even try. He just basically waved at the guy. 

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

4-0, while not firing on all cylinders for 60 minutes would have me concerned if it was currently October, but its July. I dont want them to be their best in July.

Thing is, I believe some people think firing on all cylinders means defense and special teams aren't allowed to make big plays and put the team in position to win, it can only be the QB passing the ball to do that.

3 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Yeah 4-0 is nice and might have benefits down the road in terms of seeding.  Really what they are building towards is the ability to beat Edmonton and Calgary in November.  To do that there can be no “letting the foot off the pedal.”

While I agree with the no letting the foot off the gas pedal, we also need Nichols healthy for those games, so I think I would have handed Streveler the reins with the lead and trusted him to still get points even if it was all from using his legs.

4 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Mmm... not sure about that

Laing had some pretty clean lanes to Nichols

Otherwise known as Laing lanes. But that young line is not the only line to get victimized by that brute. It will duly be noted in film study and having been seen in live action, it’ll be easier to keep in mind to correct. Trial by fire, and as a group, they didn’t collapse as did some other O-Lines we’ve witnessed lately.

2 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Otherwise known as Laing lanes. But that young line is not the only line to get victimized by that brute. It will duly be noted in film study and having been seen in live action, it’ll be easier to keep in mind to correct. Trial by fire, and as a group, they didn’t collapse as did some other O-Lines we’ve witnessed lately.

Obviously BC probably comes to mind first here

Harrick is fine..he was kept out solely cause game was well in hand and to give Desjarlais needed reps...all is good

Same with Hecht..he'll be playing as well

Briggs i doubt but we now have Dondre Wright to slide into the lineup so we will be fine..we dont need Briggs anyway for ratio requirements and Temple did fine filling in for him and with more reps would get better as well but I would assume Biggie is back next week anyway so a non issue

2 hours ago, Booch said:

Harrick is fine..he was kept out solely cause game was well in hand and to give Desjarlais needed reps...all is good

Same with Hecht..he'll be playing as well

Briggs i doubt but we now have Dondre Wright to slide into the lineup so we will be fine..we don't need Briggs anyway for ratio requirements and Temple did fine filling in for him and with more reps would get better as well but I would assume Biggie is back next week anyway so a non issue

Didn't see Temple get many reps but he didn't stand out in a bad way, unlike Fenner and Jones. who I consider to be much greater liabilities.