Argos at Bombers - Game Day

I think its reasonable to be concerned with the second half playcalling, particularly on the offensive side of the ball.  That said, this was a pretty dominant win from start to finish. Nichols had a second straight good game.  Probably his best of the season, I think. Accuracy was on point, timing clicked, great decisions with reads. The offense is so much better when he can stretch the field successfully.

The defense was excellent yet again. Not much more to say about them at this point.

I would have been concerned about the play calling had it been the 1st time we've seen it. But it's not. Its Lapo. He is who he is. Get over it.

Nichols 2nd half stats aren't what they were in the 1st half. That's a fact. Saying they're bad is an opinion. I had no issues with the 2nd half offence, as I completely expected it.

8 hours ago, Goalie said:

Briggs = unlikely as he was in a sling on the sidelines

Yes, I saw that Briggs had his left arm in a sling.  I noticed John Rush got nicked too, didn't mention him in the earlier post.  Harris seemed no worse for the wear but he certainly had to walk off a few stings during the game. I really wonder why Augustine didn't play at all until the final 2 mins.  He's another guy who could benefit from reps and take the load off Harris. It seems like the game plan was to spread the ball carry load around a bit by giving the ball to Demski. But that didn't really work as well as the sweeps to Whitehead. But we had 189 yds rushing and 239 passing - nicely balanced attack.

Edited by Doublezero

Tough crowd! Had we lost  they would have needed to tell all the farm stores to lock the shovels and forks. We needed to win the game and that  was settled by half time.  The team's coaches decided to ease up in a gesture of sportsmanship. Why some blame Nichols for the play in the second quarter is beyond me. He was lights out in the first half and there was nothing that would not have made him play the same in the second half had he needed to. He was playing  MOS/LaPo's game. 

The only thing I think might have been good is if they had pulled Nichols to give the backups more play. Consequently, as a Bomber fan it was not as interesting  in the second half but the happiness of winning made it fun to watch. 

It’s also worth noting that going vanilla in the second half allows us to keep that many more plays off of film that opponents can’t study. It’s why we’re vanilla in pre-season after all. 

Every week, every offence in the league disappears for stretches of the game. If ours is disappearing once we have insurmountable leads, as opposed to when the game is still hanging in the balance, and I’m pretty damn ok with that. 

Edited by O2L

Watching the Game Recap vid, the second half is a bit painful, and I k Ow MOS is gonna shred it in review, but I really don't think there's anything to worry about going up against Ottawa next week, aside from injuries. Keep in mind, what we did to TO last night, we did without Bighill, Matthews and Hardrick (for a good chunk).... This is a good ******* team, so sit back and enjoy it. 

Looking around IG, I didn't like those fans disguised as empty seats....C'mon ...we have a winner here and if the fans won't show up for a 4 and 0 team this league is in trouble...What the hell is going on...Maybe the opposition was/is a tire fire...at least last night and that had something to do with it, BUT I've noticed in other stads. that empty look as well....hmmmmmm

6 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Looking around IG, I didn't like those fans disguised as empty seats....C'mon ...we have a winner here and if the fans won't show up for a 4 and 0 team this league is in trouble...What the hell is going on...Maybe the opposition was/is a tire fire...at least last night and that had something to do with it, BUT I've noticed in other stads. that empty look as well....hmmmmmm

I agree but Folk Fest does take people away.

Attendance for next week looks good already.

Edited by Geebrr

2 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Friday night during the summer in Winnipeg are always a tough sell.  Many many years ago my buddies and I would go to the game and then drive out to the cottage at Winnipeg beach after the game.  The driver would limit himself to 4 beers at the game but the rest would go all out.  

In todays world you just dont do that plus more and more people have cottages in Ontario which is a longer drive and not one that many would want to do after a game.

The crowd was disappointing but not surprising.  Winnipeg is like a ghost town when the weather is nice on a summer weekend. 

29 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Yeah...not great.

Watching the game back now and Hardrick seems ok in the 4th on the sidelines.

Hardrick was okay in the 2nd, coach wouldn't let in. He was doing drills on the sidelines and giving the coach a thumbs up saying I'm Good.

I think they wanted the developmental guys to get some live action, go figure...

30 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

Hardrick was okay in the 2nd, coach wouldn't let in. He was doing drills on the sidelines and giving the coach a thumbs up saying I'm Good.

I think they wanted the developmental guys to get some live action, go figure...

Laing was giving some of the guys trouble, but that's how you get better; by facing strong opposition. Was it Speller who replaced Hardrick? If so, good job.

Do I agree with MOS that we could have been better in the second half? Yes. Do I agree with Doug Brown that those kind of games are tough when the last 40 minutes are garbage time? Yes. Let's focus on the fact that we are 4-0 for the first time since 2003 and still have room for improvement.