Argos at Bombers - Game Day

2 minutes ago, J5V said:

The 2-and-outs are most distressing because they are so predictable. As soon as get a (comfortable) lead, we go into this ultra defensive mode on offense, almost like we don't even want the ball in case we turn it over, and would rather let the other team's offense have it and hope our D can hold them. It's also distressing because 1) It kills the momentum we have built on offense and we have seen it's not easy to get that momentum back, and 2) against a team with a good offense, such a strategy could easily backfire.

We are 4-0 so I suppose the strategy works and Lapo is way smarter than me so good for us and the Bombers. I just find it to be so predictable and would much prefer we keep the momentum going on offense and give the D a break.

This is exactly what im saying. Its a red flag.. Yes we are winning and are 4 0. That's great. I just have yet to see a game where all 3 phases are going. Thats troubling. 

On the plus side... We are 4 and 0 and could be much better and more consistent on O. 

Edited by Goalie

Just now, Goalie said:

This is exactly what im saying. Its a red flag.. Yes we are winning and are 4 0. That's great. I just have yet to see a game where all 3 phases are going. Thats troubling

They went up 28-0 and all 3 phases were dominating with ease.... no way they were going to keep playing that way. They stayed aggressive they probably win 80-0 but this team calls a conservative game when leading so big. Argos were never in that game, it was in the books after the opening kickoff.

6 minutes ago, Goalie said:

If i cant come to a fan forum to discuss aspects of the game.. Then whats the point of a fan forum? 

Ppl get their panties in a bunch over stating pure facts now? 

Im thrilled they won.. I just am not pleased with their 2nd half effort and play calling. I don't know what's so wrong about that..  Is everything rainbows and puppy dogs? 

Argos suck.. I would have liked to see our O put up more points. 

Did we have 100 yards in the 2nd half ? 

Didn't we end with close to 50 points? I think you've answered your own question from earlier. Namely that the playcalling is going to be different when we're up big. Second, I can't imagine it's easy to go out there and play with intensity when you're winning by that much. Thirdly, I think we saw a glimpse of what it would be like without one of our all star tackles. The second half sucked, yeah, but it was destined to based on the reasons above. 

6 minutes ago, Goalie said:

This happens every week tho. Our O is consistently inconsistent

When this team is winning they play to avoid mistakes not to pile on the scoring. Adjust your expectations to reality and stop worrying about glory stats I  garbage time. It was garbage time about 10  minutes into this game.

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

When this team is winning they play to avoid mistakes not to pile on the scoring. Adjust your expectations to reality and stop worrying about glory stats I  garbage time. It was garbage time about 10  minutes into this game.

IDGAF about stats.. The only ones that should matter to an O in particular is first downs and to a lesser extent Time of Possession. Its about not moving the ball consistently through the air. 

Maybe that's more Lapo tho. But the amount of 4 yard passes when you need 7 is pissing me off. 

Staying on the field is more important than 300 yards passing. We dont do that tho and haven't for some time. Im def in the its Lapo group tho. 

Ppl likely get confused and dont get Nichols is just an extension of Lapo. Lapo calling plays.. Nichols running them. 

Edited by Goalie

Ok let me take a stab at this game... Andrew Harris’ biggest run of the night was at the end of the half when just trying to kill the clock. Take that run away (the game we’re doing by taking Nichols long passes away for god knows what reason) and Harris’ numbers aren’t all that great. Add in Harris’ two fumble game against Edmonton. Ergo, Harris is a steaming pile of Rider crap! 

Did I do it right? What do I win??

We scored more points in the first half of this game than we have in the entire game of any of our three previous wins (five if you want to include pre-season).

We’re 4-0 for the first time in 16 years.

We are the only undefeated team in the league.

We are the only team that has beaten Edmonton and Ottawa.

We find a new way to win every week.

Are we perfect? No, of course not. But as it stands, at this point in time, we appear to be closer to “perfect” than any other team in the league. I really wish more people watched all the non-Bomber games, we are far and away the most complete, put together team out there.

Let’s also consider that we had Hardrick, Matthews, Whitehead, Bighill, Briggs, Hecht and probably more I’m forgetting out for all or most of the game.

Everyone keeps saying “if we let up like that against a good team...”. News flash: We did. Against Edmonton. Guess what? They still didn’t beat us, and we didn’t even put up 48 in that one. So considering that we let up against Edmonton with 28 points and won, it’s fair to say had we done hat with 37 points or 41 points or 48 points... one sec, gotta so a quick calculation...carry the three...deduct anything good Nichols did...ignore anything bad Streveler did... yup, we would’ve still won. 

Point being: you don’t need to be perfect, you just need to be better than your opponent. So far we’ve been better than all our opponents, fairly convincingly. 

10 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Nobody GAF about yards. TOP does matter tho.. Eventually you will see. 

We lost TOP vs edm but we won the game. And EDM receivers are dead tired by the 4t qtr of that game.

Edited by M.O.A.B.

If the bombers fall behind you will see Nichols have some huge stats , but as it is the bombers haven't been in a situation yet this season where they need to do anything  other than manage the game by not turning the ball over.

Nichols was damned good tonight  but the argos are so lol bad the game was over before fans could finish their first beer.

The way some people respond makes me wonder if they are use to how football is played on Madden. You're not going to keep going full tilt when  the game is over at half time, and your coaches will also adjust their calls accordingly. That's just how football is. It's literally no different than hockey when a team has a 5-0 lead after 40 minutes. The rest of the game is essentially a scrimmage at that point.

53 minutes ago, BBlink said:

Didn't we end with close to 50 points? I think you've answered your own question from earlier. Namely that the playcalling is going to be different when we're up big. Second, I can't imagine it's easy to go out there and play with intensity when you're winning by that much. Thirdly, I think we saw a glimpse of what it would be like without one of our all star tackles. The second half sucked, yeah, but it was destined to based on the reasons above. 

We also were without Bighill on defense and lost Hecht there too.  Other side of the ball yes but also allowed the Argos a little more ease at keeping the ball and maybe a little less TOP for us.

But yes, the play calling does change when we're up big and Lapolice will usually stop calling those deep balls at that point.  So yes, the passing yards spigot will be shut off and rushing yards one turned on.

Bottom line though is this team is built to win off of playmakers like Whitehead and Nelson, and the defense is also key.  A team that's complete in all 3 phases.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Perfect said:

The way some people respond makes me wonder if they are use to how football is played on Madden. You're not going to keep going full tilt when  the game is over at half time, and your coaches will also adjust their calls accordingly. That's just how football is. It's literally no different than hockey when a team has a 5-0 lead after 40 minutes. The rest of the game is essentially a scrimmage at that point.

That’s true but then the question becomes, what do you have to gain by keeping in your starters? There was absolutely no chance that Toronto was scoring 30 points in the second half. The world knew it. If you’re going to call mainly screens and runs up the gut, what possible benefit is there to keep Nichols and Harris in the game. Hell, take Adams out too. Even an INT and a fumble or two isn’t costing you the game at that point. 

The other viewpoint is, at the end of the day football is entertainment. A win is more important that being throughly entertained for the full 60 minutes but killing the last 30 minutes with ugly playcalling doesn’t make for the most interesting viewing experience. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

They went up 28-0 and all 3 phases were dominating with ease.... no way they were going to keep playing that way. They stayed aggressive they probably win 80-0 but this team calls a conservative game when leading so big. Argos were never in that game, it was in the books after the opening kickoff.

Honestly 

10 minutes ago, Mr. Perfect said:

Halftime? First Q

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

This happens every week tho. Our O is consistently inconsistent

I wouldn't say so,  Harris was good from start till the end.  

I thought the blocking wasn't decent for the most part despite having Hardrick go down.

Outside of Lawler coughing it up and dropping,  the receivers didn't drop any passes.  

What I saw was a conservative offense in the 2nd half ,  and Nichols completely stinking it up in the 2nd half despite being rock solid in the first.   I'm not sure if he's playing scared or he himself is ultra conservative with the lead... It's tough to see if it's Lapo or Nichols because i don't imagine every single receiver is running a 3 yard curl.   Streveler comes in the game and tosses it 10 yards to Wolitarsky (which Nichols didn't even target once) and then tosses it 20 yards with ease to Adams despite getting hurried and then he tosses a bad pic but it was at least a 30 yard pass.....   Me thinks it's Nichols going ultra conservative.  

We are 4 - 0 ..... but it's not necessarily nit picking when a guy in each game goes 1 - 2 quarters with zero results.  I don't want the gaudy numbers... I'd like to see a guy being able to pick apart a completely deflated and terrible secondary (Argos) with a massive lead as opposed to struggling to throw a ball 7 yards down the field....

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

We are 4 - 0 ..... but it's not necessarily nit picking when a guy in each game goes 1 - 2 quarters with zero results.

The gold standard Stamps do that a fair bit. As does Bo Levi.

At one point people were celebrating Bombers come from behind wins.

Now they complain about wire to wire wins.

This game was so one sided for the Bombers it was boring. I don't think the team is interested in embarrassing the Argonauts.

I really respect Nichols, not just for how well he's playing now, but for the injuries he has come back from, and the way he's been able to overcome the **** season he had last year, not to mention the constant dumping on him that he has to put up with.

Edited by Mark F

Would like to see more variety in the run game for the exact reason of moving the game along with a 3-4 score lead.  I would be running hardly any straight dropbacks in that scenario.  Pass should be off playaction or RPO, there should always be a run option shown to the D.

And the reason is you don’t want to let teams hang around.  Toronto had no chance because at all times at least one phase of their team is awful.  If we have a 20+ point lead at half to Edmonton, Calgary or Hamilton what happened in that 2nd half yesterday can’t happen.  They could legitimately run that lead back.

I think at the point where Nichols went out for the rest of that drive would have been the right time to go that.  It would likely be led by Streveler, it would include Harris but also make use of the back up tailback and Demski, Whitehead a few times on option plays.

Lapo’s gameplans and playbook each week always has a very narrow focus, which is a good idea because the players are really prepared but it is also limiting in some ways.

It’s good that the team is comfortable in close games but it’s not a bad thing to stomp on the throat either.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

7 hours ago, Goalie said:

This is exactly what im saying. Its a red flag.. Yes we are winning and are 4 0. That's great. I just have yet to see a game where all 3 phases are going. Thats troubling. 

On the plus side... We are 4 and 0 and could be much better and more consistent on O. 

Yeah the biggest red flag is the bombers going two and out when already up by 30 smh.