EDM @ BC

23 minutes ago, bearpants said:

diapers don't burn... does that help??

Mike O'Shea had less experience... Claybrooks obviously hasn't looked great so far but it's a little ridiculous to write off a coach after 4 games...

We gave Oshea and Walters three years plus to right the ship... would be crazy to dump Claybrooks

Hervey needs an LT and MLB at the very VERY least to give Claybrooks the tools to succeed...

4 minutes ago, Floyd said:

We gave Oshea and Walters three years plus to right the ship... would be crazy to dump Claybrooks

Hervey needs an LT and MLB at the very VERY least to give Claybrooks the tools to succeed...

A big difference is that MOS & Walters were both learning on the fly.  Hervey is an experienced GM and he still s**t the bed with the way he put together that roster.  He should take more blame than Claybrooks (at least short term).

45 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Despite the fans clamoring for a regime change on here as I recall lol

I agree that at this point you have to let Claybrooks try to fix this.  June Jones isn't going to come through that door so no other choice in my opinion.  And the mess is BC is also the fault of Wally Buono, so good riddance to him.

But I have to admit I am glad I'm not a BC fan though cuz seeing what I saw last night would give me very little confidence that the current regime is getting it right going forward.

6 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

“That’s an embarrassing game. That’s one of the most embarrassing games I have ever been a part of. (We were) just getting physically manhandled, all 12 guys on the field, offence, defence, special teams. It can’t get worse than that. so it has to get better. It’s up to us to make the changes necessary and figure out how to get better.” - Mike Reilly

"This is the tipping point of the season. Do we reload and answer or do we wallow in self-pity," said Lions head coach DeVone Claybrooks.

👁‍🗨 Self-pity oh crooked hat, self-pity.

This statement feels like something that would have been said after the loss in Edmonton in week 2. The fact that they showed up even less at home after they quit in the earlier game in Edmonton is inexcusable. There has got to be cuts coming after that performance.

6 hours ago, Stickem said:

So Hervey spent all of his cash on one O lineman and couldn't/can't afford an upgrade on the rest of the line....Real good gm move there Herve....The protection for their 700,000 dollar man looks pretty thin and If they want Riley to survive the rest of the year they better make a move to shore that up.....Otherwise the next man to hit their six game will be the most expensive player in the league..Quite a crap kicking last night

Beyond that, the level of overpay was equally foolish. Lions knew both Chungh (local boy) and Reilly (return to his first team with his old GM) were coming home well before free agency started and wouldn't sign elsewhere. Could have probably shaved $50,000 off of Chungh's salary and $50-75,000 (maybe even $100,000) off of Reilly's and still easily got them to sign. Really bad cap management.

9 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

This, plus when you're the DC of the league's best defense with the cup to show for, you're going to get job offers.  Sometimes the gamble pays off, sometimes it doesn't just like people who figured even with Franklin's limited body of work he'd be a great QB.  Ended up being not the case, but at the time you can understand why he got picked up.

Another argument could also be that Buono stuck around a bit too long and should have had a new chapter turned a few seasons before.

Of course, Hervey forgot that Huff gave Claybrooks a veritable treasure trove of incredible talent.  Hervey also forgot that incredible talent also raises a coaches IQ more than a few points.  Claybrooks knows just one system. The Stamps system. He never coached under anyone other than Huff or Dave Dickenson.  He never saw as an assistant any other coaching style in meetings, preparation or on the sidelines. He never coached thru a bad stretch to the end on the other side to learn how to handle adversity in a successful way because all Calgary did is win when he was there. He doesn't have a great deal of coaching experience.  I think he was waaaaay overrated as HC material & in over his head.  An experienced coach might be able to pull his team out of this death spiral but I can't see Claybrooks doing it. For his sake, I hope I'm wrong.

18 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Of course, Hervey forgot that Huff gave Claybrooks a veritable treasure trove of incredible talent.  Hervey also forgot that incredible talent also raises a coaches IQ more than a few points.  Claybrooks knows just one system. The Stamps system. He never coached under anyone other than Huff or Dave Dickenson.  He never saw as an assistant any other coaching style in meetings, preparation or on the sidelines. He never coached thru a bad stretch to the end on the other side to learn how to handle adversity in a successful way because all Calgary did is win when he was there. He doesn't have a great deal of coaching experience.  I think he was waaaaay overrated as HC material & in over his head.  An experienced coach might be able to pull his team out of this death spiral but I can't see Claybrooks doing it. For his sake, I hope I'm wrong.

You have to give Claybrooks at least as much credit as O'Shea, he did play in the league for 5 years and coached for 6,  compared to O'Shea's 3 years of experience as a ST coordinator.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

Motivating a defence with inspirational speeches works when the rest of the team is doing their jobs because you’re only responsible for your area.

Its quite different when you’re responsible for all areas. Claybrooks is now realizing this. 

Hervey is responsible for the talent (or lack thereof) but somebody should have realized that they were a bit far off in preparation. That somebody is Claybrooks.

I was expecting BC to challenge Saskatchewan for fourth place, but they’re utterly unprepared in a few areas and it’s killing them.

BC plays Saskatchewan next weekend, and the weekend after. That’s their season right there...already.

If they don’t take care of business, nobody will care if you can’t rhyme anything with orange 🍊 

48 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Motivating a defence with inspirational speeches works when the rest of the team is doing their jobs because you’re only responsible for your area.

Its quite different when you’re responsible for all areas. Claybrooks is now realizing this. 

Hervey is responsible for the talent (or lack thereof) but somebody should have realized that they were a bit far off in preparation. That somebody is Claybrooks.

I was expecting BC to challenge Saskatchewan for fourth place, but they’re utterly unprepared in a few areas and it’s killing them.

BC plays Saskatchewan next weekend, and the weekend after. That’s their season right there...already.

If they don’t take care of business, nobody will care if you can’t rhyme anything with orange 🍊 

With Dickenson and Huff handling the design of the offence in Cgy. Claybrooks probably didn't pay any attention to that side of the ball, he moves to BC and blindly entrusts J. Jackson to be capable of doing the same.  Maybe now he knows better.  I don't recall if he had any freedom to bring in his own coordinators.

On 2019-07-12 at 6:13 PM, Mr Dee said:

I never got that as a marketing ploy. Like, what does that have to do with anything...especially football?? Just so weird, much like everything else in that organization right now.