Monday Morning Musings

After an appropriate cooling down period for sober reflection minus the emotional bent, some thoughts on the game:

- Like the confidence of the coaching staff to go for 3rd and short gambles that are not "3rd and inches" gimmes, but Streveler saved the o-line's bacon on a couple of occasions with pure strength, grit, and never quit attitude. Should have been stuffed at least twice due to a bad push from the line, but found a way to outmuscle the defensive player and get the first down. Good to know he can make something out of nothing, but we are going to get burned on a key 3rd down attempt if those o-line mistakes are not corrected.

- Having said that, those who pine for Streveler to take over the starting job from Nichols during the course of this season should not hold their breath. Wasn't too inspired by his play once he came in full time, certainly not compared to how methodical Nichols looked moving the offence.

- Very confused why the command centre did not call down and point out the facemask that ripped Harris' helmet off. I'm pretty positive they can make a call on any penalty play even if the coach cannot challenge it. But I get why the on-field refs missed it. Harris was not in a spot where it was clearly visible from the backfield judge or anyone other than the sideline crew, and his helmet comes off so easily every game it would be simple to assume it just popped off rather than being pulled off. Dude needs to tighten that chinstrap.

- Everyone was so pumped to get Chris Matthews back and see what he could do. Still waiting. Meanwhile, quietly forgotten sidekick Darvin Adams made some spectacular clutch catches in the game to move the chains on second and long.

- Still think Ryan Lankford has the physical tools to be a big return threat, but Friday night was another example of how it is between the ears that is holding him back, and at this point I don't see coaching being able to correct that.

- Would just like to note that the Bomber defence has not allowed a touchdown in the last 34 opposition drives, and in 39 of 40 so far this season. Tip of the cap to the oft-maligned defensive co-ordinator Richie Hall.

- Would just like to note that the Bombers were the only CFL team to score at least 2 offensive TDs in every game last year, have scored 4 offensive TDs in each game so far this year (12 in 43 total drives), are 9 out of 11 in converting red zone opportunities into TDs this year (the only two times they have failed is when they took a knee at the end of the game to run out the clock deep in opposition territory), and have scored a TD in their opening drive of the second half in each game this year. Tip of the cap to oft-maligned offensive co-ordinator Paul LaPolice.

- Ottawa actually took a knee out of "victory formation" on 3rd down with 20 seconds left on the clock, literally conceding a turnover to the Bombers on their own 20 yard line while trailing in the game. Have never seen that before.

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

6 hours ago, Adrenaline_x said:

The knee on 3down confused me.. 

We should have gone for a score.. 

Perhaps a nice jet package. 

I don't want to criticize Rick Campbell's decision because he doesn't come to my work and salt the fries for me, so I can't criticize him.

On 2019-07-08 at 9:51 AM, TrueBlue4ever said:

- Ottawa actually took a knee out of "victory formation" on 3rd down with 20 seconds left on the clock, literally conceding a turnover to the Bombers on their own 20 yard line while trailing in the game. Have never seen that before.

Tim Burke did it here when we were losing.    It really pissed me off.

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I don't remember that - I do remember him taking a knee in a tie ball game with time left on the clock.  That one had me baffled.

I remember him taking a knee in our second pre-season game - just after half-time

19 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I remember him taking a knee in our second pre-season game - just after half-time

so Goltz takes a knee with time on the clock in regulation and we go into overtime.  Edmonton scores on their first possession.  We get the ball at the 35.  On TV, you can clearly hear a fan yelling "Take a knee!!"  Funny stuff.

22 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

so Goltz takes a knee with time on the clock in regulation and we go into overtime.  Edmonton scores on their first possession.  We get the ball at the 35.  On TV, you can clearly hear a fan yelling "Take a knee!!"  Funny stuff.

That voice you hear yelling “Why don’t you take a knee!” is actually my brother aka @Tony Fresco here on the board.  

We are in different seats now, but that year we were real close to a camera.  

19 hours ago, Jaxon said:

Tim Burke did it here when we were losing.    It really pissed me off.

I honestly was expecting someone to bring that up when I posted, but your version of it is inaccurate. The Eskimos had trailed 20-0 at one point and erased a 27-14 deficit in the 4th quarter. The Bombers had gassed a 35 yard field goal that would have put them up by 6 points with three minutes left, and Edmonton tied the game with a field goal with something like 15 seconds left after converting a 3rd and 10 where Demond Washington tried for a pick instead of a knockdown and tipped the ball into Fred Stamps' hands for a 51 yard gain. So with the team reeling from multiple errors (including 4 turnovers) that gave away the lead late, Burke opted to have the offence take a knee from its own 35 yard line and reset going into OT rather than force something downfield and risk a turnover (you KNOW that if the team had forced something and created a turnover fans would be screaming "WHY DIDN'T HE TAKE A KNEE????? ONLY AN IDIOT WOULD TRY A LOW PERCENTAGE PLAY FROM HIS OWN END WITH SECONDS LEFT WHEN YOU COULD STILL GO OT OT!!!!!!!!")

There is a good amount of stuff to criticize Burke for, especially his penchant for throwing players under the bus for losses rather than protecting them late in his tenure when they quit playing for him, as the team was mailing it in on the way to a 3-15 season, but I will defend him insomuch as it was a lot more the fault of Joe Mack and his roster management, and the no-win situation Burke inherited. So pick on Burke and ignore the failings of Mack if you want, but don't make up phony stuff to fit your "Tim Burke was awful and taking a knee to quit while behind is proof" narrative. Burke was better than that, and you should be too.

18 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I don't remember that - I do remember him taking a knee in a tie ball game with time left on the clock.  That one had me baffled.

I remember him taking a knee on the last play of the first half when they were down 30.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

Must be a lot of old guys here cause the monday musings suddenly turned into a debate about a lame coach who was hobbled by a lame GM. That stuff is so back of the closet never to be seen again I can't even remember what it smelled like. I do remember sitting in a car listening to a preseason game and it was some ridiculous 40 to nothing or something. 

3 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:

Must be a lot of old guys here cause the monday musings suddenly turned into a debate about a lame coach who was hobbled by a lame GM. That stuff is so back of the closet never to be seen again I can't even remember what it smelled like. I do remember sitting in a car listening to a preseason game and it was some ridiculous 40 to nothing or something. 

lghr17100old-school-statler-and-waldorf-

We are who we are!

3 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I honestly was expecting someone to bring that up when I posted, but your version of it is inaccurate. The Eskimos had trailed 20-0 at one point and erased a 27-14 deficit in the 4th quarter. The Bombers had gassed a 35 yard field goal that would have put them up by 6 points with three minutes left, and Edmonton tied the game with a field goal with something like 15 seconds left after converting a 3rd and 10 where Demond Washington tried for a pick instead of a knockdown and tipped the ball into Fred Stamps' hands for a 51 yard gain. So with the team reeling from multiple errors (including 4 turnovers) that gave away the lead late, Burke opted to have the offence take a knee from its own 35 yard line and reset going into OT rather than force something downfield and risk a turnover (you KNOW that if the team had forced something and created a turnover fans would be screaming "WHY DIDN'T HE TAKE A KNEE????? ONLY AN IDIOT WOULD TRY A LOW PERCENTAGE PLAY FROM HIS OWN END WITH SECONDS LEFT WHEN YOU COULD STILL GO OT OT!!!!!!!!")

There is a good amount of stuff to criticize Burke for, especially his penchant for throwing players under the bus for losses rather than protecting them late in his tenure when they quit playing for him, as the team was mailing it in on the way to a 3-15 season, but I will defend him insomuch as it was a lot more the fault of Joe Mack and his roster management, and the no-win situation Burke inherited. So pick on Burke and ignore the failings of Mack if you want, but don't make up phony stuff to fit your "Tim Burke was awful and taking a knee to quit while behind is proof" narrative. Burke was better than that, and you should be too.

Very valid points.  And Burke at least knew how to coach a defense, especially the secondary.  

If Mack was good at anything, he would have shown it by now, he's had his chances around the league.

2 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

It's important because it explains why the current regime needed several years to right the ship.

The cupboard was bare.