Week 4 Takeaways

Zontar

WPG. On top and deserve to be.

HAM. Ugly loss. One-off or start of a pattern?

CAL. Too early to say much about life without BLM. But looked good. Arbuckle gifts TSN yet another new set of tires to pump.

OTT.  A second best East division football team for sure.

MTL. Had a ton of help in a game that should have been a blow out. Khari stopped the bleeding at home though. Stanback emerging star ?

SSK. Politely speaking... mediocre coaching, players and play from bow to stern. Thought Marshall set all time speed record for fanbase turning on a coach but Dickenson coming up fast along the rail. 

BC. Victory against a horrible club was in doubt to the last second. Hard to salvage hope from that.

TOR. Chamblin brand takes another beating. Sloppy, dumb football at home vs a soft team is a direct reflection of coaching. Good speeches are meaningless without execution and tactics.

9 minutes ago, BBlink said:

I've been trying to give Hamilton the benefit of the doubt that they haven't played their best. But eventually they will have to play and beat a good team. We shall see

That’s true but Edmonton hasn’t beaten any good teams either. And lost to us despite a historically pathetic offensive showing. The Hamilton loss to Montreal feels more like an anomaly than anything. Stanback doesn’t run for 200+ against them ever again. 

Winnipeg
Well balanced team with good depth and discipline .  Still too conservative with leads and some zone coverages on D.  Key stat:  scored 12 TD's on O....and have allowed exactly 1 offensive TD 

Calgary
No Bo?.  Injury riddled?.  Big deal.  Stamps continue to have the coaching, recruiting and system to just plug in guys, who get it done.   Only team that still scares me.

Hamilton
Beasts of the east....but had a stumble, especially on run D, against the Als.   Still should waltz to East title.

Ottawa 
D. Davis got a reality check against the Bombers, but they do have weapons on O and a great kicking game.  Average D.

Montreal
Khari will get the attitude thing turned around there....but passing game and back 7 on D still big question marks 

Saskatchewan
Entire team got reality check, against the Stamps.   Inexperienced QBs and shaky OL.  The big name D is underperforming big time.  Team depth is another problem.  The coach looks like a Jim Daley clone.

BC.
Could easily be 0-4, if not for Toronto stupidity on ST's   Reilly is playing better, but lack of balance on O and overall D are ongoing problems

Toronto
This team has the ability to beat themselves on O, D and special teams.   Or all at the same time. Still look undisciplined and disorganized, which starts with Chamblin 

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Bigger mistake is J Jackson as the OC.

They both are equally guilty IMO.  Junky Jairius's lack of balance in his offenses and inability to create matchup problems for defenses certainly is an issue.  But Reilly's decision making and accuracy have been way off and have been probably the worst I've ever seen them in his career.  Is it because of age? A bad OL? Too many injuries? A combo of all three? Who knows.  But the league's MOP from a few years back is nowhere near that level currently.

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

At what point does BC realise the huge mistake they made pinning all their hopes on one player?

I would say 2 actually.  Ed Hervey also stupidly blew the bank on Duron Carter, and what has he done so far?  Nothing that I'm aware of.  Mr crazy circus catcher seems to have gone the way of the dodo.

Few other hot takes ...

1. Khari Jones should be given the unofficial Coach of the Year award for getting wins with no talent on his roster and having to deal with the interference of Kavis Reed in his business

2. Dominique Davis will need to bounce back big time next game or Jonathon Jennings might be starting games again soon.

3. Fajardo ... well this is why he's never been able to make a case for being a full season starter.

4. Chapdelaine should be banned from ever being an offensive coordinator again in the league.  He ruins offenses and is as BAD as Bellefeuille.. Yes I said it!

5. Time for Arbuckle to play against a real defense and prove he is not a Drew Willy clone.  Right now he is a Willy clone.

1 hour ago, AKAChip said:

The status of OCing in the league is almost as bad as the state of QBing. Jackson, McAdoo, Chapdelaine and Khari all have no business being professional OCs. It’s so bad that the Riders are pining for Lapo to be their saviour. 

So the coaching cap is having a negative impact?

It’s nice to see some good offensive production in the first half. Past seasons we were inept in the first quarter and the 2nd wasnt much better. 

These good starts are integral to our 3-0 start.  Let’s keep it going. 

3 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

They both are equally guilty IMO.  Junky Jairius's lack of balance in his offenses and inability to create matchup problems for defenses certainly is an issue.  But Reilly's decision making and accuracy have been way off and have been probably the worst I've ever seen them in his career.  Is it because of age? A bad OL? Too many injuries? A combo of all three? Who knows.  But the league's MOP from a few years back is nowhere near that level currently.

I would say 2 actually.  Ed Hervey also stupidly blew the bank on Duron Carter, and what has he done so far?  Nothing that I'm aware of.  Mr crazy circus catcher seems to have gone the way of the dodo.

As well as Chungh at a reported $250,000 a year who is looking more like a revolving pylon than an OG.