Around The NHL 2019/2020

Elliot Friedman reporting that Bryan Little is unlikely to play again. If his contract is now freed up ($5.3 million) along with Buff ($7.5) and Kulikov($4.3), what are the chances we can go after a decent 2nd line centre, starting D-man, re-sign DeMelo and extend Laine (who is already at $6.75 so even at $9 million/yr longer term only “costs” us $2.25 million over our current cap)?

From Bruce Garrioch at Ottawa Sun:

AROUND THE BOARDS
An interesting team to watch on the Patrik Laine front may be the Philadelphia Flyers and the talk is they’re making an aggressive push. They have the ability to make the deal if they can find the right fit with the Jets. A league executive speculated Sunday the Flyers would probably want to see if there’s a fit in Winnipeg for defenceman Shayne Gostisbehere. He has three years left with a cap hit of $4.5 million per season, but the Jets could also look to get a second-line centre in return. The Jackets and Montreal Canadiens are both believed to have made pitches for Laine, 22, who has 138 goals and 247 points in 305 games. You have to think find a fit with the Habs the Jets would want Phillip Danault in return. The Sabres, Wings, Rangers, Wild and Panthers all have interest … The Jets are trying to get defenceman Dylan DeMelo signed, but there still a sizeable gap to bridge if that’s going to happen. DeMelo was dealt to Winnipeg by the Senators at the February deadllne and has a chance to cash in.

40 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Elliot Friedman reporting that Bryan Little is unlikely to play again. If his contract is now freed up ($5.3 million) along with Buff ($7.5) and Kulikov($4.3), what are the chances we can go after a decent 2nd line centre, starting D-man, re-sign DeMelo and extend Laine (who is already at $6.75 so even at $9 million/yr longer term only “costs” us $2.25 million over our current cap)?

The Perrault contract is a real stumbling block to this plan...  with him on the fourth line you just can't make these four contracts work - otherwise its close

I get the idea of trading Laine if they don’t think they can afford him long term (I.e. if he costs them $10-11 million. + for 7-8 years), but the idea of trading him to fill holes elsewhere seems kind of silly. What is the point of trading for a legit 2nd line centre to feed Laine if it costs you Laine to get him? Unless you want to bring in 2 solid top 4 d-men and turn this team into a trap style all defence first Islanders clone. 

2 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I get the idea of trading Laine if they don’t think they can afford him long term (I.e. if he costs them $10-11 million. + for 7-8 years), but the idea of trading him to fill holes elsewhere seems kind of silly. What is the point of trading for a legit 2nd line centre to feed Laine if it costs you Laine to get him? Unless you want to bring in 2 solid top 4 d-men and turn this team into a trap style all defence first Islanders clone. 

Maurice didn’t fly to Finland to meet with Laine last summer because everything is fine...  just hope we are not trading him for sand and grit...

6 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Holy fock.

They have the Jets, they no longer need the Bombers.

Looks like Power 97 will carry the Jets games. Phew. 

TSN just announced that they're continuing to carry the local Jets games. TSN (Regional) for TV and CJOB for radio. 

I look forward to the new TSN1290: Home of No Sports.