Around The NHL 2019/2020

3 hours ago, Goalie said:

90 percent of them played in the league. Yes. It is an old boys club.. More specifically a white boys club. 

Excuse me? 90 percent of those coaches played in the league. They are also all white. Facts? 12 of 31 soon to be 32 but Seattle will recycle a coach isn't 50 percent. 

Hiring people with experience coaching at various levels or experience as a hockey player is not ‘recycling’ 

Hiring Paul Maurice was recycling

Helle for Vezina and Dr Drai for Hart should have been absolute no-doubters. Incredibly deserving. Cale Makar for Rookie is cool, too. I watched him play in the AJHL and we believe he's the first AJHLer to ever win the Calder. He was an absolute dynamo in his final year with Brooks. Opponents fans were coming to Brooks Bandits road games just to watch him play...

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

If they trade Laine it would have to be for a kings ransom. 

If they were to trade him for draft picks and a mediocre d-man  everyone would have deja vu from Selanne departing and the fans would go crazy.

I will first say that I'm not in favor of trading Laine, sends the wrong message, but if behinds the scenes something has happened and Laine does not want to be here than the Jets should accommodate him of their terms, as you say a "kings ransom".

The one thing I don’t get from the local TSN1290 media (and I sense the majority of the “Laine trade” talk is solely a media creation rather than them actually quoting sources) is that they keep saying the Jets have a 2-3 year window to win a Stanley Cup, which I think is nonsense. Their top 5 forwards aside from Laine (Wheeler, Scheifele, Connor, Ehlers) are locked in for 4 more years each minimum, as is Hellebuyck, and their top d-man Morissette is here for 7. And team windows always seem to be short-changed. How many times did we hear that the Caps window was closed before they won, or the Sharks before they made the final, or the Pens after the 2009 Cup win, or Boston after the 2013 Cup loss (you get the picture). Laine is still an RFA after next year’s contract is up, so we have him for 3 years minimum right now. Don’t move him unless we clearly win the trade from a “right now” perspective, otherwise, take the $11 million plus from Kulikov and Byfuglien that is off the books and get a serviceable centre and d-man. 

28 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

The one thing I don’t get from the local TSN1290 media (and I sense the majority of the “Laine trade” talk is solely a media creation rather than them actually quoting sources) is that they keep saying the Jets have a 2-3 year window to win a Stanley Cup, which I think is nonsense. Their top 5 forwards aside from Laine (Wheeler, Scheifele, Connor, Ehlers) are locked in for 4 more years each minimum, as is Hellebuyck, and their top d-man Morissette is here for 7. And team windows always seem to be short-changed. How many times did we hear that the Caps window was closed before they won, or the Sharks before they made the final, or the Pens after the 2009 Cup win, or Boston after the 2013 Cup loss (you get the picture). Laine is still an RFA after next year’s contract is up, so we have him for 3 years minimum right now. Don’t move him unless we clearly win the trade from a “right now” perspective, otherwise, take the $11 million plus from Kulikov and Byfuglien that is off the books and get a serviceable centre and d-man. 

I agree and I think that they would be crazy to trade him. I wouldn't touch him or Sheif. Selanne all over again. 

If they were going to, they could get a prospect and D man (plus a lot else, I would hope). Since the team is ready to win now, top forwards, top goalie, but lacking depth at the back, a D man could help them win next year. 

This assumes that they can't sign any D man of value next month. 

And, our window to win the Stanley Cup did close last year when we lost three starting D Men on the right side. It can be quickly re-opened again with another quality D man or two or three. 

I would be shocked if we moved Patrik...His class of player doesn't come around too often.....We have to have cash in the kitty to make a decent offer to top flite defensemen without parting ways with star players...TSN mouth pieces are trying to jack up interest by creating a scenario that most likely doesn't exist regarding Laine ...Can't blame them though as the NHL is in 'deadsville' this year along with a few other professional leagues...Hopefully Chevy is on top of his game and we can make a decent deal to improve.........hopefully

Same old media discussion to draw attention.
Last year was Montreal offersheeting Aho, this year is Laine/Pietrangelo
Next year will be Barzal.

Leafs/Canadiens/Bruins/California teams fans will all claim they're shoo-ins to acquire them for nothing or no consequences and it won't happen.

Then the cycle starts over.

Edited by Dr Zaius

I'd be shocked if they traded Laine. .

Columbus? 

Jones? (Unlilely) Werenski? (Lhd but maybe??) Maybe a guy like Foudy (good prospect) and a couple 1sts? Atleast 1? 

Jones? Id do it. Werenski? It would help but by loading up lhd. 

Surely you can do better. Doesn't really help us. There are trades out there id do for laine.. Pulock plus from the Isles.. A deal with Carolina for a pesce plus deal. Young 1 rhd. 

Id do it for a legit young 2 Center plus. 

But not for anything less. 

Edited by Goalie

If we traded Laine I'd want a top 2 center, a penalty killing skilled 3rd line winger (the kind of guy that can play up on the 2nd line in a pinch like Copp) and a 1st round draft pick at the very least. I think we need those things more than we need to trade for a top defenseman. We at least have some good defensive prospects and could potentially find a guy on the free-agent market.  Top 2 centers don't generally shake loose.

IF a very BIG IF...we move Laine there better be a truck load coming back for him or this fan base will go nutz....Patrik is number five on the trader list....Is he available ..really??...Some teams apparently have been kicking tires BUT walk away when they hear the ask....I think that's the way it will end....some teams will want to give us 'run of the mill' talent and we won't go down that road...We can't afford to after losing a few valuable assets in the recent past...Chevy has to make that clear....So is it 'deal'...or 'no deal'....Guess we'll find out shortly....

1 hour ago, Stickem said:

Dustin has been sorely missed on the club....Went out a winner as far as I'm concerned....Wish him well in his retirement

Was a big Buff fan but he screwed the Jets big time last summer( and fans) if his desire was gone just hang them up save us all a lot of grief. But i guess it was all about what was best for Buff..if he does not come back ,its a  crappy way to end your career.