Around The NHL 2019/2020

4 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Gotta trade O to get D.

My fave comment on twitter was the Jets should trade Laine and Ehlers and get  a 2nd line center.

That would be dumb. If you look on the list there are no D there. There are no centers there. There is no logic there. Its clickbait like it is every off season with Jets players. 

3 minutes ago, Goalie said:

That would be dumb. If you look on the list there are no D there. There are no centers there. There is no logic there. Its clickbait like it is every off season with Jets players. 

Lots of D on that list. They listed as LD and RD.

OEL got 7 years left :o

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

WARNING: Reading this nonsense made my head hurt and reading the comments induced vomiting. 

Marc Bergevin will need to be aggressive if Patrik Laine is on the market

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2020/9/1/21409589/patrik-laine-trade-rumours-montreal-canadiens-goals-winnipeg-jets-marc-bergevin-cheveldayoff-package

I just want others to suffer as I have. 

Just now, JCon said:

WARNING: Reading this nonsense made my head hurt and reading the comments induced vomiting. 

Marc Bergevin will need to be aggressive if Patrik Laine is on the market

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2020/9/1/21409589/patrik-laine-trade-rumours-montreal-canadiens-goals-winnipeg-jets-marc-bergevin-cheveldayoff-package

I just want others to suffer as I have. 

Lol Jeff Petry as the main piece? 

That's not even close in value and this article obviously has a homer habs bias.

The conversation starts with Kotkianemi +

Edited by Dr Zaius

4 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

Lol Jeff Petry as the main piece? 

That's not even close in value and this article obviously has a homer habs bias.

The conversation starts with Kotkianemi +

Or Suzuki. 

But seriously, Weber or Petry is what they're suggesting as trade bait? 

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

With our cap space do we not have enough to sign say Dillon and resign Demelo?

So we could go

Morrisey/Demelo

Pionk/Dillon

Poolman/Heinola (or Niku or Sandberg)

Say a depth guy like Bealiu

Then move Wheeler to 2c

And whose our tough SOB forward? Cause we missing one of those.

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

And whose our tough SOB forward? Cause we missing one of those.

You can pick up a trash forward anywhere to sit in the press box and impress those that still think you need an SOB on your team. Cheap and easy. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

You can pick up a trash forward anywhere to sit in the press box and impress those that still think you need an SOB on your team. Cheap and easy. 

I'm not talking goon here. CAL beat the ship out of us. I want someone who can hit like Tanev. Feel like that guy is Suess. Bad when Ehlers was our SOB in the playoffs.

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/five-potential-trade-fits-for-patrik-laine

Which teams might make sense as trade partners for the Jets? Consider these five.

1. CAROLINA HURRICANES

No credit to me for this idea. It’s been out there all week, floated by trustworthy insiders such as The Athletic’s Pierre LeBrun and TSN’s Frank Seravalli. But no team makes more sense as partners in a Laine deal. The Canes need to balance out their scoring after relying too much on their dynamite top line of Andrei Svechnikov, Sebastian Aho and Teuvo Teravainen. They’re also, bar none, the deepest team in the NHL on defense.

It would make sense to dangle one of their shutdown righty D-men, such as Brett Pesce, packaged with a prototypical No. 2 center in Vincent Trocheck. Again, not my idea, so no credit to me.

That would allow Winnipeg to address its two primary needs in one deal. The Canes could fill that hole up the middle by moving emerging youngster Martin Necas back to center. Plus they could reunite Laine with his gold-medal centerman from Finland's 2016 world junior squad in Aho.

2. MONTREAL CANADIENS

We know GM Marc Bergevin likes to be aggressive and treat his team as a contender even if the general public believes it’s further away than he does. He may view Montreal’s play-in series win over the Pittsburgh Penguins as a sign Montreal is ready to take another step, despite the fact it was 10 points out of a playoff spot when the “real” season paused March 12. This is the same man who was willing to go all-in on Sebastian Aho with an (admittedly far too conservative) offer sheet last off-season.

It thus wouldn’t be too surprising to see Montreal make a pitch for Laine, whose swagger and quotability could make him well suited to a hockey-mad market like Montreal. The Habs have an elite farm system rising up, which should deliver defenseman Alexander Romanov to the NHL next season and goal-scorer Cole Caufield within a year, and considering they want to make a push while Carey Price and Shea Weber have good years left, it could make sense to add a big-ticket scorer to a team that has lacked one for a while.

We also know Montreal has a piece to build an offer around in Max Domi, who could be an ideal second-line center for Winnipeg and was born there since his father Tie was playing for the Jets at the time. The offer would never work as a one-for-one, but the Habs have so many prospects and draft picks at their disposal that they could balance the offer out in many different ways.

3. DALLAS STARS

Stars GM Jim Nill has a busy off-season ahead. He has $18.54 million in cap space but needs to re-sign three crucial RFA forwards in Denis Gurianov, Roope Hintz and Radek Faksa. The Stars made it clear with the Joe Pavelski and Corey Perry signings last off-season that they’re a win-now operation, going for it since the likes of Ben Bishop, Jamie Benn and Alexander Radulov have reached their 30s. They badly need some high-end scoring, and bringing in someone with youth and upside to boot would address Dallas’ biggest need while also yanking down the average age of the forward group.

Laine could fit comfortably into Dallas’ dressing room, too, considering it’s extremely Finn-friendly, including Hintz and blueliners Miro Heiskanen and Esa Lindell. Could a trade built around Laine for right-handed defenseman John Klingberg work? As is the case with Montreal, Dallas would likely have to kick in another piece.

4. CALGARY FLAMES

The Flames were a potent offensive club in 2018-19, but the scoring dried up this past season and didn’t improve under new coach Geoff Ward. They’re deep on the left wing with Johnny Gaudreau, Matthew Tkachuk and Sam Bennett, but there’s a big dropoff on the right side after Elias Lindholm. Laine could jumpstart Calgary’s offense.

The question is who Calgary would have to move to land him and make the money work with Laine’s $6.75-million cap hit. Is it time to move on from center Sean Monahan or consider dealing two-way pivot Mikael Backlund? Monahan has a modified no-trade clause kicking in for 2020-21, so the time to act is now. Backlund has a no-trade clause with a list of 10 teams to which he’d accept a deal.

5. NEW JERSEY DEVILS

The Devils can fit almost any big-name star under their salary cap right now. Dependable right winger Kyle Palmieri enters the final season of his deal and is a decent candidate to get moved as a rental next winter if the Devils aren’t contenders, so New Jersey could use some goal-scoring help in the long term, a finisher to play with Jack Hughes. If you’re the Jets, however, do you ask for Nico Hischier as a return? He’s exactly the type of player they need, and he’s signed for seven more seasons at a cap hit just $500,000 more than Laine’s current AAV.

Other potential suitors to watch: Edmonton Oilers, Colorado Avalanche, Boston Bruins, San Jose Sharks