Around The NHL 2019/2020

It will be interesting to see how much trump pushes them.  He was talking about a tax incentive to get fans to buy tickets.   

And interesting to see what the PA’s say too.  I know the nhl players have been debating whether to take their final paycheque because they’re going to get escrowed to death next year.  

So the PA is likely as determined to have the playoffs as the league, to generate revenue they get a piece of.  

But If they come back too early and a team ends up having the virus hit, then what?  

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I dont think it was 'always' with him 1 year away from UFA and with him saying how he wanted an NCAA championship.

Yes, always. He said he was coming. He's already won two championships and might have won a third. It's only people making stuff up that suggested he may not. 

On 2020-04-07 at 10:57 AM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I dont think it was 'always' with him 1 year away from UFA and with him saying how he wanted an NCAA championship.

Yes. Always. Dude paid his own way to every Jets developmental camp since being drafted. He had 2 as a NCAA player. 

Winnipeg really would be an idea place for the NHL to play games.  I could see Vegas too although as much as players like Vegas, its awfully hot in the summer months when they'd be playing.

Im not sure I can believe there will be no gatherings til fall 2021 but this year, almost surely sports returns in front of no fans til at least fall this year.  The NHL will have to play empty arena games.  But they'll want to because the article above mentioned a $1 billion shortfall in the budget.  Imagine what those escrow cheques will look like.  Like, really, i wonder if the PA will negotiate a salary reduction because the cap for the next couple of seasons is going to be much lower than the escrow will be massive.  And players hate the escrow for some reason.

But the NHL needs that TV money.

They could also operate in Florida right now due to the "WWE is essential" mandate.  Which might be part of the plan between Trump and the Florida governor, to provide a soft landing spot if he can convince a sports league to open.  Certainly for MLB

Edited by The Unknown Poster