Around The NHL 2019/2020

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

I'm curious what the PA feels about considering this COVID break their "offseason", and then going straight into playoffs, and the start of a new season immediately after that. It's an odd thought, not having a break after playoffs, and before the start of a new season.......but maybe something they'd do....?

fredrogers-690x460-1.jpg  

"Can you say injuries? I knew ya could." 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

The problem is going to be, even if governments reduce restrictions to allow people a sense of normalcy, a sports league is really screwed if they go back and suddenly have a handful of cases.  I suspect they will test every player and every person involved...perhaps start with empty arenas too.

At some point a decision will have to be made to allow large crowds knowing there will be some community spread but feeling it wont get out of hand.  Otherwise, its locked down til there is a widespread vaccine and we're talking 2021 for any events with an audience.

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The problem is going to be, even if governments reduce restrictions to allow people a sense of normalcy, a sports league is really screwed if they go back and suddenly have a handful of cases.  I suspect they will test every player and every person involved...perhaps start with empty arenas too.

At some point a decision will have to be made to allow large crowds knowing there will be some community spread but feeling it wont get out of hand.  Otherwise, its locked down til there is a widespread vaccine and we're talking 2021 for any events with an audience.

There are so many variables at this point.

The arena/stadium owners will need to hold off booking any events until they get the all clear from the gov'ts. Then, they'll need to set a schedule for all the events that will be demanded, all the sports and entertainment, all the performers. They're be some huge demand and I'm sure, not everything has been cancelled yet. They'll need to cram everything in with little time to make everything work well.

All your A-list performers will want the prime touring schedules which will now overlap with other A-list performers. God forbid you're a B-list or C-list performer just trying to make a touring schedule work. 

It's going to be a huge mess. And, the NHL and NBA will demand first access to the arenas. 

Then, we'll have overlap with other leagues and whatnot. 

Perhaps the one benefit might be thanks c level gigs goinf into smaller venues, maybe for multiple nights, that would otherwise not get the business.  

smaller concerts could go to Burt for three nights instead of the arena for example.  

or maybe some touring acts combine for a stadium show.  But the logistics are such that it likely wipes out a ton of events til next year. 

18 hours ago, Goalie said:

Time to cancel the season. Seriously. Cancel it. Start again in the fall. The USA is gonna be a hot spot for months still. 

Most likely.  My only thought is, there are still best case scenarios.  Sure, Trump aint helping things.  But lets say crowds start coming out in may with some restrictions...maybe by June/July, sports leagues are considering their options.  If you can run the playoffs, normally, you wouldnt want to.  But people will be chomping at the bit to get back to "normal".  Here, yeah, everyone wants to go to the cottage and there will be a lot of vacations happening that were deferred from earlier, but I think a playoffs would do very well.

Lots of logistics though.  You'll have everyone trying to book dates at once.  You'll have networks with multiple things to cover.  NBA, NHL, CFL, NFL all at once.  SO could be tough.  But the owners will want to do it come hell or high water.  The big debate will be how to decide because doing ANY games would be gold for the owners, so sure, Boston is in, but what about Detroit?  They want some games.  They already paid the players.  They want to recoup.

I think they'll try real hard to play something.  And I think they'll try real hard to have every team play *something* at home.  Maybe forget the standings and do some sort of league-wide play-in.

someone posted last week that the league stands to lose more than 1-billion dollars if they lose the rest of the season. That is a LOT of incentive to try and find some way to play out the games. Count me as one who doesn't think they can/will, but here's hoping anyhow. I'm just begging for any shred of hope for live sports on my TV...

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

someone posted last week that the league stands to lose more than 1-billion dollars if they lose the rest of the season. That is a LOT of incentive to try and find some way to play out the games. Count me as one who doesn't think they can/will, but here's hoping anyhow. I'm just begging for any shred of hope for live sports on my TV...

They will play out the season without fans in the stands...  start it back up in mid-May

So on trumps conference call with major sports he said he wants it open ASAP and suggested August.  He wants nfl to start on time.  

If august is best case I think the NHL likely cancels.  When you factor in a mini training camp to get in shape there seems no way to do that and finish the regular season and have a full playoffs.  Plus you need time for free agency, draft etc before the next season begins.  

Given a choice between finishing this season and keeping next fully intact I think they will cancel this season.  

47 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

So on trumps conference call with major sports he said he wants it open ASAP and suggested August.  He wants nfl to start on time.  

If august is best case I think the NHL likely cancels.  When you factor in a mini training camp to get in shape there seems no way to do that and finish the regular season and have a full playoffs.  Plus you need time for free agency, draft etc before the next season begins.  

Given a choice between finishing this season and keeping next fully intact I think they will cancel this season.  

We are not playing any major sports this calendar year. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't open anything for twelve months.