Around The NHL 2019/2020

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

My niece works PT at BellMts Place. Thing is here employer isnt True North its CentrePlate, TN taking some PR problems but fact is CentrePlate runs most food and concessions

Yeah I saw that pointed out.  Really it’s both of their problems and they should have been in front of it.  

Bad optics for nhl players getting their million dollar pay cheque’s and part time staff being sent home indefinitely.  It’s one thing If you know it’s for a week or two. Maybe you can scrimp by or borrow from family. But you have no idea how long. Rough. 

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Well if they went right to playoffs now with 16 teams jets are out. 24, jets are in. 

true, but there are 24 US teams and 7 Canadian teams....oh wait I forgot Detroit is already out

but how would the choosing process work? I mean this isn't like a lockout season this is totally new to me

Edited by iHeart

7 minutes ago, iHeart said:

true, but there are 24 US teams and 7 Canadian teams....oh wait I forgot Detroit is already out

but how would the choosing process work? I mean this isn't like a lockout season this is totally new to me

I would assume they'd choose the top 12 teams as of now (winning percentage) or choose a games played that everyone has played (like 68) and use that record or play to 72, meaning a few teams would need to play a couple games.

I'm curious what the PA feels about considering this COVID break their "offseason", and then going straight into playoffs, and the start of a new season immediately after that. It's an odd thought, not having a break after playoffs, and before the start of a new season.......but maybe something they'd do....?

25 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'm curious what the PA feels about considering this COVID break their "offseason", and then going straight into playoffs, and the start of a new season immediately after that. It's an odd thought, not having a break after playoffs, and before the start of a new season.......but maybe something they'd do....?

I think they'll do anything they need to do to ensure the NHL continues to make as much money as possible for their own benefit. 

26 minutes ago, JCon said:

I think they'll do anything they need to do to ensure the NHL continues to make as much money as possible for their own benefit. 

Never let that cynicism die....even in times like these! 

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Never let that cynicism die....even in times like these! 

I don't think it's cynicism, it's matter of fact. These players have short, short careers and a small window to maximize the amount of money they can make. 

The Billionaire owners will be fine and so will the teams. The fans will come back, that's for sure. So, it's the players looking at their earning potential and realizing that sitting is not in their best interest. 

I expect the same from all sports. 

Thats why I think if this goes on long, they might scrap the rest of the regular season.  I suppose fans will be itching to see any games, but the playoffs is the big money.  I imagine teams dont want to provide refunds or make-goods on everything from tickets to sponsorships etc.  But do the playoffs, then brief off season.