Around The NHL 2019/2020

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

Cancer joke not funny.

Ooops! ID10T error posting.

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Recent winning having a negative effect there?

Maybe it went something like this...

Toews to Keith - Waive your NMC, you're hurting the team

Keith to Toews - You're making too much money, you're hurting the team

But in reality it probably went this way...

Toews to Keith - Better taste!

Keith to Toews - Less filling!

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Sharks GM Doug Wilson given a vote of confidence and Gerard Gallant fired on a feeling. Two different positions I know but fascinating how teams take different approaches to hiring and firing.

And how Vegas is in the playoffs and San Jose is not...

40 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Okay who’s got a sub and can tell us what he wrote about the Jets...?

Winnipeg Jets

Oh man, losing top defensive centre Adam Lowry for a month hurts for a Jets team that has tried so hard to hang in the fight despite a depleted blue line made worse by Dustin Byfuglien’s shocking training camp decision. That Byfuglien situation still looms large, of course. His $7.6-million cap hit is off the books while he remains suspended. The Jets will need clarity on that before Feb. 24 if they can make any impactful move. There’s no question in my mind that between the Lowry and Bryan Little injuries up front and the blue line issues, that Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff will look at all options on the market to try to help his team in both areas if he can. I think he wants to reward his group for the kind of effort it has put out to make this a season that could result in a playoff berth even if they went into the break wobbling and looking fried. If Little comes back at some point over the next month (he is skating but there is no firm timeline yet) the more pressing need would be on D. The Jets have their top three picks in the June draft so the full arsenal in terms of the kind of assets sellers look for at this time of year. But Winnipeg also has to stay in the race, the next 2-3 weeks looms large in indicating just that.

6 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Barring an astonishing turn around after the break the jets should sell everyone not in their future plans.  Buy??? That would be insane. 

The way they have been playing lately, lottery pick he we come, sell all the deadwood for whatever you can get, resolve the Buff drama, hire a new coaching staff, retool the D and lets get to camp

8 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

JCon got sub? I'm this close to getting one too.

I got a sub, yes. Last year, I think the deal was around $19 for the entire year. 

I'm sure you saw the $24.48 deal on right now? Still on sale from Cyber Monday.

They have a lot of very good writers but I'm not sure how long the model will be sustained. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

I got a sub, yes. Last year, I think the deal was around $19 for the entire year. 

They have a lot of very good writers but I'm not sure how long the model will be sustained. 

I've had a subscription for a couple of years now.  The writing is top notch.  As far as sustainability, there was some recent news on its capital/financial situation:

https://www.axios.com/the-athletic-fundraising-round-series-d-e7026194-ccc7-4ec2-8415-6b8902c9a11a.html

The Athletic, a subscription-based digital sports media company, has raised $50 million in a Series D funding round, executives tell Axios.

• With this investment, the company has raised a total of $139.5 million since its launch in 2016 and is valued at roughly $500 million after the new raise, according to sources familiar with the deal.

To date, they are still losing money, but apparently they expect that to turn to profit in the current year:

By the numbers: The company expects to become profitable in 2020 and says it will soon hit a million subscribers worldwide, according to The Athletic co-founder Adam Hansmann

I go mainly for the NHL coverage, but there is a bit of CFL coverage as well.   All the other major sports are covered extensively.

10 hours ago, JCon said:

I paid $24 CAD for the year on some flash sale the other day.

Worth it. I hope they can make money